Do you think a 4-3 formation could be a good one ?

Italian Bills

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t think we’re taking Taron Johnson off the field. Maybe a little more against run heavy teams… but we’ll play predominantly nickel. 

I'm wondering why we don't say in 4-3 against 2 wr sets and take Levi off the field? 

Or against 3 wr sets, go 3-3 nickel more and have Klein play on the edge. 

Bills Running the Nickel over 90% of the time have created the TOP Defense in the NFL.  And people here want to change that... Why?

I think their Nickel is a good one, no reason to change anything there, they are the Top Defense in the league for a reason. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Bills Running the Nickel over 90% of the time have created the TOP Defense in the NFL.  And people here want to change that... Why?

As I recall, we ran Nickel 91% of the time last year.

Is that true again this year?  I thought it was somewhat less, though still - by far - our preferred formation.  

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

You put your best players on the field. Like you said, seems to be working 

Yep no reason to change a defense up because a depth LBer had a good game in a fill in performance. 

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As I recall, we ran Nickel 91% of the time last year.

Is that true again this year?  I thought it was somewhat less, though still - by far - our preferred formation.  

Yes it is true again this year.  Fraiser even said Nickel is the defense, only game they didnt play it heavy was Tenn because of Henry.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

The NFL is a copycat league.  

Will more teams switch to the Nickel as their base after seeing the Bills success?

Or are the Bills just blessed with unique talent that allows us to successfully utilize the Nickel against run & pass?

Will be as long as other teams can find 2 LBers that go sideline to sideline and a Nickle that plays the run like a LBer.

6 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Levi is our #2 CB. If you go 4-3, you take Taron off the field, not Levi.

Taron is a better cb than Levi. The Bills think so too--take a look at their respective salaries. 

And the Bills value positional flexibility. I just saying that I think Taron could play CB 2 against run heavy teams and do a better job than Levi. 

And I'm not crapping on Levi. I think he's playing really well and is a solid outside deep half CB. 

58 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It seems it’s been a while since I’ve seen the old 

which is better the 3-4 or the 4-3 and did Buffalo have the right personnel 

was it Rex or before him?

Yeah, I remember those days.  That argument is becoming obsolete.    Nickel is the most common alignment in the NFL now, though there are variation of it.  The Bills run it more than anybody.

If I'm not mistaken, the 3-3 and the 3-4 (in that order) are the most common alignments.   4 man fronts are less common though Frazier, for one, loves the 4-2.

Any good X-and-O guy out there who can break this down better with percentages? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think their Nickel is a good one, no reason to change anything there, they are the Top Defense in the league for a reason. 

Our D is awesome, especially against the pass. 

Against the Titans, the D gave up the most points all year. 

Klein only saw 3 snaps against Tenn. They are one of a handful of run heavy teams that might give us problems.

I think Klein should be on the field more against teams like Tenn, Indy, Cleveland and NE.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Our D is awesome, especially against the pass. 

Against the Titans, the D gave up the most points all year. 

Klein only saw 3 snaps against Tenn. They are one of a handful of run heavy teams that might give us problems.

I think Klein should be on the field more against teams like Tenn, Indy, Cleveland and NE.  

They didnt play Nickle in Tenn.  Fraiser even confirmed that.

4 hours ago, djp14150 said:

If the 3 rd LB is a safety…sure.

That's 4-2-5, which the Bills have used often with Neal. 

Instead of "run and stop the run", McDermott's philosophy seems to be "pass and stop the pass." That's why 4-3 hasn't really factored into their system as much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.