Josh's arm talent live

ProcessTruster

When I first saw him at camp I remember thinking we'd better be drafting pass catchers with big strong hands because of the way he rips that ball, but for some reason--other than Knox-- we havent seemed to have any more drops than anyone else and that includes some smaller guys like Bease, John Brown, Lil Dirty etc.

A good example of how effortless his throws are is the fade TD pass to Diggs.  On TV it looks like a short pass but in reality that ball is going about 35 yards in the air and is a lot further than it looks, but his wind up is like he's throwing a little checkdown.  Freak athlete.

• Like (+1) 2

We endured so, so much misery for so long since Jim Kelly left.  So much misery.

But my oh my how things have changed!  The Big Cheese upstairs is finally paying us back for keeping the faith.  I can’t tell you how happy I am that I never even considered jumping ship. 

I still can’t believe it but I’ll take it.

12 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

When I first saw him at camp I remember thinking we'd better be drafting pass catchers with big strong hands because of the way he rips that ball, but for some reason--other than Knox-- we havent seemed to have any more drops than anyone else and that includes some smaller guys like Bease, John Brown, Lil Dirty etc.

A good example of how effortless his throws are is the fade TD pass to Diggs.  On TV it looks like a short pass but in reality that ball is going about 35 yards in the air and is a lot further than it looks, but his wind up is like he's throwing a little checkdown.  Freak athlete.

I've always thought Allen is Elway-2.  One advantage Elway had, and Allen has it too, is that his receivers got used to catching high-velocity balls.  The ball just comes in quicker, on almost any throw.  It's an advantage for a couple of reasons:  First, defenders aren't used to the speed, so they misjudge how much time they have to react to the ball as it arrives at the receiving window.   We've seen it for a couple of years now - defenders are late to get a hand up as the ball passes through the window to the receiver.  Second, defenders don't intercept balls they expect to catch - the ball comes in too hot and goes through their hands before they can grip it.  The receivers get to practice with Allen all the time, so they get used to both effects; the defenders don't have any way to practice, because they don't have anyone on their team who can throw like that.   It's an advantage Elway had throughout his career, and Allen has it, too.  

Frankly, I'm amazed at how the receivers catch it.  They're all used to his velocity, and the ball just sticks in their hands.   

You're right about the TD pass.  Allen and Diggs communicate so well, and they have the timing down so well, that they complete passes in what look like tiny windows.   When the defender has played the route perfectly, it means the defender can react really quickly on Diggs's break, but there always is a little lag time, and that little lag time is a little window.   In that little bit of time, the defender can't make the play.  Allen can get the ball there so fast that he can get the ball into the little window, and Diggs catches it because he's used to the velocity.  

Allen misjudges it once in a while.  His interception on Sunday was one of those.  He tried to put the ball into a small window, relying on his velocity to get it through, and the ball got tipped.   But the point is that because he usually CAN get the ball through windows that other QBs can't, he can complete passes that other QBs can't.  

The first time I saw it was that great throw he made for a TD in preseason his rookie year.  There's video of it somewhere.  He scrambled left, stopped and threw across the field to the receiver (maybe McKenzie or Ray-Ray, but I don't remember), who made the catch on the right sideline at the goal line.   What was so interesting about the throw was that the cornerback was trailing the play and closing the window underneath, and the safety was coming over from the middle, closing the window from the other side.  As you watch the ball, it looks like both of them should be able to make a play on the ball before it gets to the receiver, but neither guy could get to it.  The ball was through the window too fast.   I remember thinking "oh, no" as the ball was on the way, and when it was completed, I realized this is one special thrower.  

Here it is.  He doesn't roll out.  He's just in the pocket.  It starts about 30 seconds into video.  They show several replays in slow motion.   It's just amazing how the ball gets between the defenders before they can make the play.  Special.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My first realization if Josh's amazing ability was the Miami game at the end of 2018 when he accounted for 5 TD's I believe. Being at the game you could see that if Josh would just be able to improve his consistency, pre-snap recognition and accuracy (which he has in spades), he would be nearly indefensible on plays where the protection holds up, or if the defense is in man coverage, and also that the defense would always have to worry about the entire field on every single play. That has come to fruition and we all get to see and enjoy the rewards!

• Like (+1) 1

Josh's passes travel so far, so fast, that his completions often seem like they've gone for less yardage than they really have.

He'll throw a pass, and it's on the receiver so fast, and the camera moves so fast to keep up with it, that it looks like it went 10-15 yards. Then you watch the replay or the All-22, and you realize it actually was a 30 yard completion! 

I've never experienced this phenomenon with other QBs. To be fair, I didn't watch Elway or Favre as closely during their careers as I'm watching Allen, and we didn't have the All-22 and the variety of camera angles then that we have now. 

I've noticed this phenomenon with his running, too. He's such a big guy, and he takes such big strides, and has this upright running style (sort of like giant toddler meets gazelle), and before you know it, he's rumbled for 25 yards.

Josh Allen, master of visual deception and shrinker of football fields.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/16/2021 at 6:55 AM, ProcessTruster said:

First time seeing Josh throw it live at Jets game Sunday.   Was in lower bowl watching and his ball just explodes out of there.   Even the touch throws have zero float to them.  Nothing new being posted here, just go see him from the first 20-25 rows sometime; its pretty cool as his throwing motion and release and ball flight are pretty special.   

BTW, the mafia really showed up on a cold as crap day.   Also, Hundreds tailgating inside the NJ Transit main train station in the city while waiting for train to Meadowlands was pretty unique too (there is a bar in the station..putting 16oz beers in little carry away brown paper bags at 10 30 in the morning...  only in NYC) .  

I have said to friends and family that I have witnessed live numerous strong armed QBs roll thru Rich/Ralph/New Era/Highmark: Elway, Favre, Kelly, Marino and the list goes on. I may be biased, but JA seems to have the stongest arm I have ever seen.

6 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

My first realization if Josh's amazing ability was the Miami game at the end of 2018 when he accounted for 5 TD's I believe. Being at the game you could see that if Josh would just be able to improve his consistency, pre-snap recognition and accuracy (which he has in spades), he would be nearly indefensible on plays where the protection holds up, or if the defense is in man coverage, and also that the defense would always have to worry about the entire field on every single play. That has come to fruition and we all get to see and enjoy the rewards!

And what impressed me the most about this game was that at the end of the 2nd quarter Allen threw a bad pick 6.  He came out in the 3rd and led the Bills on a long TD drive. It was like the pick 6 only pissed him off. That told me that he had the Kelly/Elway/Farve QB gene.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

He'll throw a pass, and it's on the receiver so fast, and the camera moves so fast to keep up with it, that it looks like it went 10-15 yards. Then you watch the replay or the All-22, and you realize it actually was a 30 yard completion! 

I have experienced the same thing when watching on TV. You think he barely got the first down, then it’s “WOW!” when you realize how far the pass went. I also thought his best comp was Elway, but Josh is bigger and faster. Still not sure who has the stronger arm. All I know is that he has a missile launcher for an arm.

I swear his touch passes went from his biggest weakness to his biggest strength. He'll hit a wr screen right in stride, pretty much as fast as possible while still very catchable. 

Wastes no time at all. I remember when he'd be throwing heaters at a wide open Charles Butterfingers Clay 10 yards away from him.

Edited by FormerlyPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:14 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Cool that the Bills travel so well

I mentioned during the game thread how loud the roar of the crowd was in NJ….when something happened that was good for THE BILLS! I’ve attended a bunch of road games and always love seeing the sea of blue, but I don’t remember HEARING them like that on TV. I don’t recall the exact play, but that’s something I’m going to pay closer attention to in the future. 

Side note: at the Nashville game this year I was surprised by how LOUD the Titans fans were considering how many fans we clearly had there. But then I noticed the people in the row behind us in Bills gear were screaming at the top of their lungs while we were on offense. WTF? They just thought making noise was the point. We had to have a talk. A lot of people loved the idea of a trip to Nashville more than they understood football. Ugh…..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.