Forget Running Backs, line up an extra Tackle in that RB position.

Chaos

No RB on our team runs better than Josh.  When Josh has time to pass in the pocket he shreds offenses.  Instead of worrying about whether Breida or some one else can "chip someone" why not line up a tackle or guard (or 2) in the back field whose sole job is to be Josh's bodyguard(s).  I think giving Josh the extra time will improve the offense more than adding extra dimensions. 

I realize this seems insane, but I am kind of curious how people think this would work out. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I mean it would have to be a limited number of plays - the problem is you lose the ability to throw a dump off or screen which our RBs suck at anyways. 

but I’m sure you could create a handful of plays and get decent results 

The bolded addresses the point, its a trade off, more time for Josh, and give up the RB production.  

That is not as crazy as it sounds. I kind of like it. Or at least a TE back there. I think Gilliam is a decent blocker and actually has some hands. But the key is to give Josh some time. The other Josh Allen made his life miserable and we had an epic fail. Any team so far with a good front 4 is giving us fits. We need to do something to alleviate the attack.

I would be okay with it if you were actually handing the ball to the big man to get those 3rd and 1 conversions.

But as a pass protector.   Nope.   I would rather use a halfback or even a fullback because that is one more offensive weapon the defense has to account for.   A backup tackle wouldn't be.    And the big dumb clutz would probably be out of position to make the block most of the time anyway.       It would work for all of 1 game maybe.   After that any decent defense would be thankful for us doing it because it would be like their 11 guys playing against only 10 of ours.

1 minute ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The Ravens play 300 lb DT Ricard as a FB so it's not that outlandish. The only problem is we have more talented rb's than ot's 

Picking up the Blitz or double team assignment from deep in the backfield is an easier blocking assignment than playing on the line. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Picking up the Blitz or double team assignment from deep in the backfield is an easier blocking assignment than playing on the line. 

No, it's all very difficult and a learned skill.

I saw Mangold on the Jets when he had no one to block just take two steps back, and line up like a back in the pocket. Just do that. I think the Bills Oline double and triple team people to open up a running lane for Allen. Perhaps a WR can yell back to Allen or do a hand signal, and the Oline can run downfield as lead blockers.

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

No RB on our team runs better than Josh.  When Josh has time to pass in the pocket he shreds offenses.  Instead of worrying about whether Breida or some one else can "chip someone" why not line up a tackle or guard (or 2) in the back field whose sole job is to be Josh's bodyguard(s).  I think giving Josh the extra time will improve the offense more than adding extra dimensions. 

I realize this seems insane, but I am kind of curious how people think this would work out. 

I am pretty sure it would end up terrible, but whatever.

Picking up blitzes coming from all over and catching small, fast guys is not something big slow tackles do well - especially with a lot of space to cover - so I think he would be worse at blocking than Singletary or Moss on pass plays.  

A big tackle is slower than Josh - so it slows down Josh’s ability to run and gets into running and passing lanes.

Another big body limits the space Josh has in the backfield making it easier to contain him and surround him with big bodies.

It gives the offense significantly less capabilities- there is no play action, no running game, no swing passes, no outlet passes - you basically have taken a multidimensional offense and told the other team we are passing to WRs or running Josh - so they play coverage and spy and pretty much stop the offense.

A good zone defense and a spy eliminates anything this offense could do.

9 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Its completely unconventional but I love it! Unfortunately such an unusual idea would be blasphemy to the ultra conservative coaching staffs of the NFL, Us being one of them.

Plus, it sounds like someone reworked a script for a 'Mighty Ducks' movie to an NFL coaching strategy. 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.