Rex Ryan Feuding With Robert Saleh

JohnNord

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

7th in the league in sacks in 2008 with 41 ...

More importantly, the Jets were 9-7 in 2008 (and a disappointing 9-7 because Favre became a turnover machine in the last quarter of the season) and were 2-14 last year. And that 2-14 was disappointing too because it cost them Trevor Lawrence after starting out 0-13. 

18th ranked defense in 2008 under Mangenius

1st ranked defense in 2009 under Rex

The 2008 team blitzed a lot and died by the sword a lot.........they didn't have pass rush talent.

The job Rex did in 2009 was impressive..........his team brought violence on the blitz and didn't get burned in the process..........along with Pittsburgh those two defenses literally lead to Goodell basically changing the rules at midseason the next year because offensive players were getting beaten to a pulp.

Saleh.........whatever........he's a total incomplete.    Plenty of things to trash Rex about but winning with that roster isn't one of them.

Rex slamming Saleh makes Rex feel good. Look at me, I’m better than him…

Personally, I think it is unprofessional of Rex and he is acting like a jerk. All he has to say is they are having problems on defense. But Rex gets paid to be Rex and he stirs the pot.

1 minute ago, Andy1 said:

Personally, I think it is unprofessional of Rex and he is acting like a jerk. All he has to say is they are having problems on defense. But Rex gets paid to be Rex and he stirs the pot.

I think you put it kindly, and such petty behavior would make me question his presence if I were his employer. He’s not worth it. 

19 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I mean, he's kinda right, no? Jet's are putrid especially in the area that Saleh was supposed to be some Guru at lol

Well, Yes, he's right, and others have pointed it out. 

But Sexy Rexy managed to take a Bills defense that was 4th in the league and a roster that at the time, we felt was poised to take a step and make the playoffs, if we could only upgrade the offense a bit and win 1-2 more games.  Instead he Wrex'd the defense down to 19th in the league, just as the offense in fact did get better.

So he doesn't have a lot of room to talk.

19 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You can't argue w/ 2 AFCC games in a row with Mark Sanchez at the helm. The Jets org would sell their souls for 2009 Rex Ryan-led team. 

That's true

• Agree 3

On 11/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

No QB + No pass rush talent + no playmakers = recipe for losing

"Well they could run the ball"........pfft.........so could a lot of bad teams back then (see Bills, Buffalo).

Nobody is saying that Saleh is a good HC.  Nobody is saying that the 2009 Jests were a good team.   However, they were certainly better, talent-wise, than the 2021 Jests, talent-wise.  As others have posted, 9-7 is better than 2-14.   FTR, both squads lacked an experience NFL starting qb and went with rookie QBs. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Andy1 said:

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I think you put it kindly, and such petty behavior would make me question his presence if I were his employer. He’s not worth it. 

I agree, and that's why neither of us will ever be media executives. Conflict sells, hence the six-page thread on this topic, so his employer will have no problem with his bloviating. In fact, that's probably why they hired him.

• Agree 1

I’ll give Rex credit for one thing: when he started at espn he was astoundingly dull, saying typical NFL coach post-game type things (“we all need to get better” stuff). He went out of his way not to offend the other coaches. Like all fired coaches or old boxers, I think he had dreams of making one final triumphant coaching comeback. He didn’t want to offend the people who might have to make that hiring decision. 
I guess he’s given up on that, so now he’s letting it fly. Oh, it’s on now. I saw him saying he would’ve benched Teddy Bridgewater immediately as soon as Teddy ducked out of making a tackle on a fumble return. Does anyone remember any Bills player being immediately benched in the middle of a game for poor effort? It’s easy to talk a good game. Easier than it is to coach a good game ….

• Agree 1

On 11/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, SoTier said:

Nobody is saying that Saleh is a good HC.  Nobody is saying that the 2009 Jests were a good team.   However, they were certainly better, talent-wise, than the 2021 Jests, talent-wise.  As others have posted, 9-7 is better than 2-14.   FTR, both squads lacked an experience NFL starting qb and went with rookie QBs. 

Oh so you don't think Saleh's brother is implying that his bro is a good coach in defending him?

GTFOH with some of these takes in this thread.

Ryan ended up beating NE in NE......with Brady and Belichick........in the playoffs........and reaching the AFC title game with basically THAT roster.     Rex Ryan was a failure overall but anyone who doesn't think he greatly overachieved with that talent those first couple of seasons is blind as a ***** bat.   :lol:

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh so you don't think Saleh's brother is implying that his bro is a good coach in defending him?

GTFOH with some of these takes in this thread.

Ryan ended up beating NE in NE......with Brady and Belichick........in the playoffs........and reaching the AFC title game with basically THAT roster.     Rex Ryan was a failure overall but anyone who doesn't think he greatly overachieved with that talent those first couple of seasons is blind as a ***** bat.   :lol:

Absolutely.

After Pegs took over, I wanted scorched earth, cleansing the organization of anything Ralph. When that didn’t happen right away, I was cool with bringing Rex in since he did overachieve with the Jets AND he was a great contrast to the status quo in the front office. Yes, his two years here didn’t work out at all BUT his time here was a major catalyst imo for getting Pegs to finally wake up and dump the rest of Ralph’s trash (with a big nod to McD, of course). Rex coming here may have been a blessing in disguise. :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Rico said:

Rex coming here may have been a blessing in disguise. 

In a way, it was. Otherwise, we may not have gotten McD, who, in my opinion, is exactly the coach we needed to turn things around. Just think what would have happened if McD (and, consequently, Beane) had ended up in Cleveland. Josh would be wearing brown and orange, and we'd most likely be on the QB carousel again.

So thanks to Whaley and the Pegulas for the swing-and-a-miss on Rex, and thanks to the Pegs for recognizing the mistake at just the right time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

It's especially funny considering the reason Saleh is failing is he is enforcing his scheme on players who do not have the ability to fulfil their roles especially in the secondary. Just exactly like Rex taking one of the best 4/3 fronts and forcing them to play 3/4 because thats his scheme.... 

• Like (+1) 2