Three unexpected studs and three duds on the Bills roster at this point in the season

BuffaloBill

Ford is at the top of the dud list;

1. 2nd round with first round grade ? that we traded up for....sigh

2. yes injuries have hampered but now clear of those and results are sub-optimal

3. likely off-season cut - saves 1.5M in 2022 cap - interesting that street FA Ike B makes more than Cody this season

at the top of the stud list...Brown...has developed to stabilize the line...

Surprise studs: Knox, Brown, Wallace and (if you don't mind one more) Sanders 

Surprise duds: Williams, Boettger, Dawkins

Haven't seen Boettger mentioned in this thread, but watch him on the replays and (negative) highlights. When he's in and there's a screwup on the line, he usually appears at least partly responsible. I would say Williams is doing even worse, though. He seems to be mailing it in. Those studs, though, wow. And Oliver is coming on. In fact, the whole defense is impressive, from top to bottom. I'd like to see them get home on the pass rush a bit more maybe, but otherwise they're just superb. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

The regular season is better than halfway in the bag. Who are three “unexpected” studs on the Bills roster at this point and who are three duds. “Unexpected” is obviously subjective but an easy example of the “expected” would be Josh Allen.

“Unexpected” Studs:

1) Dawson Knox - the Bills look like and play like a different team when he is in the lineup - definitely a step forward this season

2) Jordan Poyer - possibly not “unexpected” but he is probably the most solid all around player in a very solid defense

3) tie Levon Wallace & Taron Johnson - The secondary has been lights out all season and these two guys have been an absolutely pleasant surprise with superb play.  

Duds:

1) Easy - Cody Ford - can’t imagine he will remain on the roster

2) Mongo - huge disappointment this year

3) Gabriel Davis - This is probably harsh as I like the guy (very much) but why has he mostly disappeared from the roster this year?

What are your thoughts?

Davis hasn't had the opportunities he had last year because Sanders is much more durable than "Glass" Brown.

He got them yesterday and made the most of them.

Whether you consider Davis a disappointment depends on your opinion of him coming into the season. I saw plenty of posts declaring that the Bills didn’t need Sanders because Davis was going to step right in as the new #2, and how he was going to take most of Sanders reps anyway. However at this point there is no comparison. Whether Sanders is better than expected or Davis is not quite as good is debatable, but it looks like a little of both to me.

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I’d hardly call Davis a dud.  His snaps are way down from last year.  Certainly looked like 2020 Davis yesterday 

Please don't insult toe tap because the coaches have throttled his targets.

Studs....Knox, Brown, Groot, Bass

Duds...Ford, Boett, Mongo

Edited by LABILLBACKER

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The regular season is better than halfway in the bag. Who are three “unexpected” studs on the Bills roster at this point and who are three duds. “Unexpected” is obviously subjective but an easy example of the “expected” would be Josh Allen.

“Unexpected” Studs:

1) Dawson Knox - the Bills look like and play like a different team when he is in the lineup - definitely a step forward this season

2) Jordan Poyer - possibly not “unexpected” but he is probably the most solid all around player in a very solid defense

3) tie Levon Wallace & Taron Johnson - The secondary has been lights out all season and these two guys have been an absolutely pleasant surprise with superb play.  

Duds:

1) Easy - Cody Ford - can’t imagine he will remain on the roster

2) Mongo - huge disappointment this year

3) Gabriel Davis - This is probably harsh as I like the guy (very much) but why has he mostly disappeared from the roster this year?

What are your thoughts?

I don't think it's fair to tag Gabriel Davis as a "dud".  We're playing less 4WR and 3WR sets, and Emmanuel Sanders and Knox between them said to him "All Your Snaps Now Belong To Us".  And when he is out there, he's often out there blocking (and he's very good at it).

I personally think we should take some snaps from Sanders and give them to Davis.  Sanders is a good player, but at 34 I think that would help him hold up through a long season, and Davis brings fresh legs and better blocking.

Unexpected Studs:

1. Spencer Brown.  We signed Williams to lock down the RT position, and I felt Brown was this year's swing tackle and next year's RT.

He has to be leading the "unexpected Studs" race

2. Rousseau.  He didn't play last season.  The Beane-meister was obviously trying to temper expectations talking about guys who might not contribute this season but would in the long term.  He's come on fast.

3. Taron Johnson.  He's been a good player all along, but last season many were looking at him and thinking he was the "weakest link".  He leveled up.

Unexpected Duds:

1. Ford - no argument there.  

2. Tie between Dawkins and Williams - we thought we had a "Sweet Lock" on the OT position, but they are not playing up to expectation.  Williams lost his job, and Dawkins is not playing up to the level we expect of him

3. Star.  He's actually played quite well, but after opting out due to Covid, to go through training camp unvaccinated and wind up on the Covid list in late August as a close contact  - C'Mon, Man!

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Or we move on from it because it’s an anomaly for him over 1.5 seasons… Josh seemed to have no issues going to him yesterday after the drop. 

In the tight Patriots game he also dropped a TD pass. I’ll move on from the Davis drops when the rest of this board let’s up on the Knox drops. They happen I get it. But to say that Davis is the cure all after playing a terrible Jets secondary is an over reaction when just the previous week he dropped the one target he was given. 

I personally have nothing against Davis. I loved this game he put up and his potential. I think I’m more reacting to the overreaction of this board. We lay a stinker against the Jags and everyone says it’s coaching when there were clearly dropped opportunities (not just Davis but also Beasley in that game). Josh had the overthrow to Diggs. Few plays that in a 9-6 loss make the difference. Then this week we laid it up on the Jets which I admittedly was enjoying everything about this game. Everyone’s reaction it seems on this board is how the coaches finally pulled their heads out of their butts and did everything different when in reality I think it was merely better execution (with the major exception of superior offensive line play). 

Davis had 3 targets this week vs 1 target last week. Not really a significant improvement on targets he just did more with his targets this week. I’d hardly say 3 targets in a game is an emphasis to get him the ball. I’d guess 3-4 targets is probably about where it will stay for the season unless there’s an injury to one of the other top three. I’d also add Sanders had a couple receptions that didn’t count because of penalties that were terrific catches. So his stay sheet doesn’t look as good as it could have otherwise. 

Without proofreading my above rant let me conclude that my tone probably is jerky. I loved every minute of this game. I hope we dial it up similarly vs the Colts but I expect them to play more 2 high safety looks. I hope we have a better counter for that. I’m optimistic that we do. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.