Rule explanation - or lack thereof

BillsIsrael

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

What about when the receiver touches down twice but with the same foot before going out of bounds? I think it was  Sanders or maybe Davis that did it yesterday. It seems to count as a catch if the call was right

If we are talking about the same play, it was Gabe Davis. It was initially ruled a catch, but there was defensive pass interference on the play. Upon looking at the replay, it was clear to me that it wasn't a catch, but there was no reason for Saleh to challenge it because even if they overturned the catch, the defensive pass interference would've been enforced and would've resulted in the ball being in the same spot anyway. So Davis got credit for a catch that wasn't really a catch.

As some others have pointed out here, the interception thrown by Allen certainly looked incomplete once they showed that other replay angle from behind. The ball seemed to clearly hit the ground and the defender rolled over with it not even under full control. I couldn't believe they let that stand.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was a turnover and all turnovers are automatically reviewed.  They had 1 angle from the back that looked trapped, but they never showed any other angles - so it was impossible to say what replay saw going from multiple angles.

I thought it should of been overturned based upon the one angle they showed, but with nothing else that was a pretty blurry camera angle to make a definitive call.

It was a short review and probably subject to mercy review rules. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Along the same lined, there were two other plays that reviews came into mind..

Allen's INT was not reviwed. They never showed a replay in the stadium. I saw comments here that seemed to suggest it was not caught before hitting the ground. I would have thought that should have been reviewed.  

Diggs almost TD catch. Looked on the stadium replay his second foot was in bounds. Was it close enough that McD should have challenged or was it obvious it was not a catch?

It had to be reviewed. All tds and change of possessions are automatically reviewed. On tv replay it was an int. 

It looked on tv that Diggs was oob. 

5 hours ago, y2zipper said:

A. When the bills defender hit the jet player on the sideline, he bobbled the ball as he was going out of bounds. The officials ruled this as a loss of control the ball, which is very very subjective in the rulebook, so the fact that he got both feet in bounds doesn't matter. It's a little bit of a ticky tack call, brought to you by an officiating crew that makes ticky tack calls. The other note here is that if there's any question whether or not it's a completion, a pass is going to be ruled incomplete. 

They generally don't call the penalty for throwing a challenge flag on a reviewed play anymore and the NFL has expanded Booth reviews this year. So it was either reviewed because it was a change of possession as you said, or it was reviewed as part of the NFL's new expedited replay review, where are the replay office basically reviews any play that's close and radios in. Officiating Crews use the words after discussion on the field in that situation in particular.

B. On a penalty during a run play, defensive penalties are enforced at the end of the run. Think facemask, horse collar or hands to the face. 

Not ticky tack, he didn’t complete the process which is more than getting two feet in bounds. It also involves making a foot ball move which wasn’t completed…

6 hours ago, BillsIsrael said:

If you want to re-watch
A. 8:17 left in the 4th. and you're correct he did eventually throw the challenge flag and the refs just told him pick it up 😕

Its a weird tweak this year. Not sure I like it - if the refs review it they will tell you whether you should challenge or not. But if they dont review it then its all on you? It should be all or nothing. Review every play automatically or dont review any unless challenged - well except for TD's or turnovers if they want a parameter. 

Edited by ngbills

If the refs tell him it's not a challengeable play, and he throws the flag anyway just to be a schmuck and prove the point on the big screen that the refs were wrong (which is what i thought he was doing, maybe I am wrong) shouldn't they be penalized?

EDIT: I see the previous post about them not doing that much any more but...I really thought Saleh was just being a smart ass on purpose. Refs normally don't care for that.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

If the refs tell him it's not a challengeable play, and he throws the flag anyway just to be a schmuck and prove the point on the big screen that the refs were wrong (which is what i thought he was doing, maybe I am wrong) shouldn't they be penalized?

EDIT: I see the previous post about them not doing that much any more but...I really thought Saleh was just being a smart ass on purpose. Refs normally don't care for that.

No.  The ref told him it was already reviewed so there could be no challenge.  They would tell a coach to pick up the flag, which they did and he did.

6 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was doing my best amateur lip reading but it looked like some sort of miscommunication. 

It seemed like Saleh believed that only the referees on the field had made the call on the field and the Sky Judge hadn’t buzzed in. If I read his lips right after he threw the flag he said “you told me it was your call!” Meaning the ref on the field made the call but obviously that wasn’t the case. 

Well that might explain the whole thing.  Every time they tweak and add complexity to the system, it gets worse.

Some day the whole thing is going to collapse under its own dead weight.  At least I hope so! 

I wish they would get rid of ALL OF IT and go back to 1975 rules.

Refs on the field make a quick judgment call and then everyone lives with it.

It will be at least as imperfect as the system is NOW, but at least games will move forward with a bit more flow and speed.

NFL games are so f-ing disjointed and difficult to watch now.

You are rarely in "game mode" for than a minute or 2 before heading off to a commercial break, a commercial even though there is no break for one (a new trick), a delay, review, timeout, pre-snap flags, etc.

Remember when we had to all live with bad calls? The game was a lot more fun! 

And the officiating is HORRIFIC in this league!  Think of the Monday morning B word fests at the water cooler! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.