Week 11 Colts Week

Chandler#81

Buffalo Rumblings Q&A with a Colts guy from Stamped Blue.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/11/20/22792138/bills-vs-colts-five-questions-with-stampede-blue

Some interesting points from the perspective of a Colts fan

Wentz:

First, Wentz has some remarkable gifts. His arm strength, mobility, and toughness have absolutely been on display this season. He throws a fantastic deep ball, and has hit some big plays downfield when presented with the opportunity. He and Michael Pittman Jr. have made a real connection, and the Colts are one of the best at drawing pass interference on deep balls as well. There is no doubt that explosive plays are more a reality for this Colts team than they were last season with Philip Rivers under center.

Having said that, there are still some concerns with Wentz. He struggles with the short and intermediate passing game. It is clear that his preference is to throw deep, and when those routes aren’t open, he can struggle. It takes some time to work through his progressions, and he love to hold the ball too long. There have been two very consistent issues that have surfaced in his time with Indy so far. The first is that he often doesn’t reset his feet when moving off his primary read, which can result in sailing the ball over the head of his target. The second is that he will not take a sack. While that sounds like a good thing, it often results in very inadvisable attempts to avoid a sack. He has thrown several shovel passes while essentially in the grasp, and a couple have even been left handed.

What do the Colts need to improve?

Entering the season, the biggest weakness on the roster was in the secondary. Since that time, they’ve lost both starting safeties to injuries. Khari Willis should be able to return before the season’s end, but promising second year safety Julian Blackmon ruptured his Achilles and is out for the season. In addition, veteran starter Xavier Rhodes has been hurt all season and looked a step slow because of it. With three key pieces in the secondary struggling, it has been a position of liability for them.

With no real prospect of dramatically improving those positions, the area the team most needs to improve is in its pass rush. The Colts rank 28th in adjusted sack rate and are tied for last in hurries. The good news is that they’ve got some developing players in that regard. Rookie defensive end Kwity Paye has turned a corner and begun to generate consistent pressure over the past 3 games, getting home for his first NFL sack last week. Rookie defensive lineman Dayo Odeyingbo made his debut a couple games back after suffering an Achilles tear in December of last year, and notched a sack fumble last week as well. DeForest Buckner leads the team in sacks and QB hits with 4.5 and 11 respectively. If they can get some added pressure from their young players, perhaps they can do enough to lighten the strain on their beaten up secondary.

Conclusion

I expect the Colts to try to pull heavily from the blueprint that kept them in [last year's playoff] game. They will attempt to get a fast start and keep the ball in the hands of their offensive playmakers like Michael Pittman Jr. and Jonathan Taylor. On defense they’ll try to eliminate the big play and make the Bills move methodically down the field, which will give them more opportunities to create turnovers, which the Colts have been excellent at, falling behind only the Bills.

Much of this will be contingent upon the performance of the defensive line. If the Colts can get consistent pressure on Josh Allen, perhaps they’ll see a version of the Bills offense that looks more like what Jacksonville was able to force. If, as they have frequently done this season, they are unable to routinely affect the passer, they could be in for a long day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s crazy isn’t it?? Lose to Jacksonville and all of a sudden people are saying they would be surprised if the Bills even beat the Jets and I have also been reading people say all week that several Bills will need to play the games of their lives to barely beat the Colts-it’s madness, madness I tell you!!!

The overreactions on this board are annoying. I don't go near the game day threads until afterwards when I need a good laugh at the "fire McDermott/Daboll" posts. Ever since the Steelers game. It's almost too much to deal with. Thank God this team isn't ran by the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

Other then the chiefs game…this game would be the best I feel about a win all year by far. I don’t care if it’s 7-6, just find a way to win the game. We absolutely need this thing. Quiet the noise of the Pats closing and find a way to overcome being shorthanded. Find a way to get that W and advance the season. 7-3 is so much better then 6-4. Find a way to win, please. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Other then the chiefs game…this game would be the best I feel about a win all year by far. I don’t care if it’s 7-6, just find a way to win the game. We absolutely need this thing. Quiet the noise of the Pats closing and find a way to overcome being shorthanded. Find a way to get that W and advance the season. 7-3 is so much better then 6-4. Find a way to win, please. Go Bills

I’m so tired of hearing about the Pats and how Jones is the second coming of Brady.  It’s damn near nauseating already.  I’m not buying that crap.  They have strung together some wins but I don’t see them doing any damage in the playoffs if they get that far.  It is the Bills that have the better QB and the better defense.  Are we supposed to be that impressed that the Pats shut out Atlanta?  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s crazy isn’t it?? Lose to Jacksonville and all of a sudden people are saying they would be surprised if the Bills even beat the Jets and I have also been reading people say all week that several Bills will need to play the games of their lives to barely beat the Colts-it’s madness, madness I tell you!!!

I think the Bills loss in Jax was a result of many different variables. A few being health, scheme, and preparation. 
I hope the scheme and preparation are different for the Colts game and this overcomes similar health issues. 

• Agree 1

I'm hoping the Bills go with a lot of snaps under center with 1 and 2 back/ 1 - 2 TE combinations with lots of Play action and less shotgun formations to limit the exposure on the Bills weakness up front against the Pass protection with this particular unit.   

If they can give Josh time, Bills win rather comfortably.  If not, it will go down to the wire.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think the Bills loss in Jax was a result of many different variables. A few being health, scheme, and preparation. 
I hope the scheme and preparation are different for the Colts game and this overcomes similar health issues. 

And the penalties were off the chart bad.  They extended at least two Jaguar drives preventing a couple of three and outs.  The PF's and holding by the O-line after the Bills had crossed midfield on multiple occasions likley wiped out 6 - 10 points.  There were also a couple of drops that came at crucial points in the game.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

There is simply no argument to be made that any RB is more valuable to their team than a top 5 QB.  Every single GM would jump at the chance to trade a Jonathan Taylor level RB for a top QB.  Hell, they would probably throw in a few first round picks.

Like I said, M-V-P!

Edited by Chicken Boo

On 11/16/2021 at 11:15 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

No, you're saying I'm wrong............and not acknowledging context etc..   

So your brief research hasn't yielded what you think to be proof............what benefit is it to me to only say how much I liked White after the draft when he hasn't even put the pads on?

If I didn't think it was the right pick I would have said so.

At the time I was being EXCORIATED by people on here for being critical of many of the offseason decisions.     People were still sore at me for saying that Shaq was an underwhelming choice and that Reggie Ragnuts was a garbage pick.    I don't change my takes for anyone's approval.

When you find that post you're looking for..........be sure to start an apology thread..........because this is important.😘

Let's not forget how pissed off you were when they drafted Cody Ford. This board was chock full of glee when he was drafted, and do count me as perhaps the happiest poster of the bunch lol.

I had just watched him play very well against a tough Alabama defense in the college playoffs and was bubbling with joy when we selected him. When you said that he was a bad pick and even ridiculed his play just a bit, I could not understand why you were doing so, not even a little. After having seen your almost exclusively correct takes (including White btw) for 20 or so years, I went as far as to think to myself "I wonder wtf is up with Badol." 😂

Well, it turned out that I failed to take into account that his QB (Kyler Murray) was not all that hard to protect. Oh.....and every defense in his conference that he played against sucked. Also, most of the points that Oklahoma did score in the playoffs were garbage points late in the game. The game was all but over by the half. Silly me.

In any event, keep those takes coming!

Btw, imo this draft class appears to be weak as compared to 2021. Do you agree?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.