Worst Loss For Each SB Champion Since 2010

corta765

After the Ravens loss to Miami and the Bills to the Jags I wanted to look at how much a bad loss has meant to prior SB champions. Here is the list:

2010 Packers: Week 14 at Lions 7-3. Rodgers got hurt half way through but they literally lost to a 2-10 Lions team.

2011 Giants: Week 11 Eagles 17-10. The Eagles were 3-6 and despite the hype coming into the year, flamed out really hard

2012 Ravens: Week 2 Eagles 24-23 or Week 7 Texans 43-13. The Eagles went 4-12 whereas the Texans were good and Baltimore got run out of town.

2013 Seahawks: Week 16 Cardinals 17-10. They didn't really have a bad loss as every team they lost to was a playoff team, but they did lose week 16 at home to a spunky Cards team with Carson Palmer throwing 4 INTs.

2014 Patriots: Week 4 at Chiefs 41-14. This was the game which NE looked broken, Brady looked old, and people thought the Pats dynasty was finally on the way down. This was about as bad a loss a team could have in terms of image when you've been successful for a long period of time as it comes.

2015: Broncos: Week 10 Chiefs 29-10. After losing the week prior the Broncos got throttled at home by a division rival and the their offense got exposed as Manning was breaking down due to age by the second. After his fourth interception Brock Osweiler came in which is never a good thing/

2016 Patriots, No Comment other then Buffalo beat the Pats week 4

2017: Eagles: Week 13 at Seahawks 24-10. At 10-1 the Eagles had a loss on the road that fans would feel showed they were not ready yet to defeat a premier team.

2018: Patriots: Week 3 at Lions 26-10. The Patriots lost to a Lions team on the road that stunk and only scored 10 pts.

2019:  Chiefs: Week 5 Colts 19-13. Despite having a record setting offense the Chiefs laid an egg at home vs a Colts team that would finish 7-9. That was the only game that season they were held under scoring at least 23 pts in a game.

2020: Buccaneers: Week 5 at Bears 20-19 or Week 9 Saints 38-3. If you are going to losing to a bad opponent the Bucs lost in Chicago to a Bears team that was not good. If you are talking about margin of victory the Bucs got smoked by division rival the Saints and I do remember after this game people questioning how good the Bucs really were.

So looking at the past SB winners can have bad losses in all shapes and forms and it really isn't underheard of for an off performance. How the Jaguars finish the season may also determine in hindsight how bad the loss was or wasn't. Some of these losses above were pretty bad at the time to the team they lost to, but by seasons end not as bad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Was wondering the same thing myself after this loss. Thanks!

Thanks. No doubt for Bills or Ravens fans the loss was bad, but history shows it isn't something completely unrecoverable for either team and like I said at the end of the year the Jags are 4-13 or 5-12 it probably doesn't look AS bad as 1-7 at the time. The other thing is for some of these teams they were in the midst of a bad stretch and the loss was anywhere from the start of that stretch to the end of a bad stretch of play. In football nothing is linear 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate playing bad teams late in the year. If they played Jacksonville week 3 thats a blowout. Jacksonville has started to figure themselves out and get ramped up for their version of the Super Bowl this year and they punched the Bills in the throat.

It was a frustrating loss, but I still expect the Bills to make the playoffs and be a legit SB contender. Every team has good players, and the margin between good and bad is so narrow that sometimes you get beat by a team you shouldn't

Also F*** Urban Meyer.

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

I hate playing bad teams late in the year. If they played Jacksonville week 3 thats a blowout. Jacksonville has started to figure themselves out and get ramped up for their version of the Super Bowl this year and they punched the Bills in the throat.

It was a frustrating loss, but I still expect the Bills to make the playoffs and be a legit SB contender. Every team has good players, and the margin between good and bad is so narrow that sometimes you get beat by a team you shouldn't

Also F*** Urban Meyer.

Young teams with new coaches like the Jags or Jets are especially scary come mid season because their record prior does not usually indicate where they actually are and as you said they start figuring themselves out. While the Jags got blown out by the Seahawks they had been in virtually every other game to some extent. The Jets I am not as worried with because they have not been in most of their games. I think of the 2010 Bills that started 0-8 but finished 4-12 and were in more games then their record indicated as an example of a young team that was far more dangerous then the record showed. Truthfully the Steelers should've had a bad loss on their record that year if Stevie didn't drop the damn ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think I remember reading that in 1992 Bills lost back to back games being favored by 10+ points in both. Still made the SB that year.

edit: Week 13 we lost to the 4-7 Colts as 16.5 pt favorites then in week 14 we lost to the 3-9 Jets as 17 point favorites.

Edited by jletha

14 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Maybe the Bills will learn from the 3 losses that you have to play angry.  I suspect they'll be loaded for bear this week.  

I think for young up and coming teams it is very easy to maintain urgency as you climb each mountain ie playoffs, division crown, title game etc.. Once you hit those marks though and the main goal is SB or bust I can understand having to learn a new type of urgency week in week out. You go from hunting to be hunted in a sense and that is psychologically a whole different mind set.

I would expect they become a loaded bear like you said, but my greater hope is they finally have learned the urgency needed weekly.

I think this needs more data behind it. Just saying Team X lost to Team Y in week 42 by 17 point and Team Y was trash, doesn't tell much. I think there can even be more than one on year, lost to work team (record), and worse single loss (differential). 

Good teams lose to bad teams every year. Sometimes by a lot.

My biggest issue is it seems like every other week we go, "we played like poop against a bad team like Pittsburgh, Miami, Jacksonville. This team will be furious and we are about to go on a tear of playing lights out.". 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Damn, that's another Super Bowl loss for us then

If we added up all over our other Super Bowls losses with the "actual" Super Bowls losses the Bills are like 0-124

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think this needs more data behind it. Just saying Team X lost to Team Y in week 42 by 17 point and Team Y was trash, doesn't tell much. I think there can even be more than one on year, lost to work team (record), and worse single loss (differential). 

My biggest issue is it seems like every other week we go, "we played like poop against a bad team like Pittsburgh, Miami, Jacksonville. This team will be furious and we are about to go on a tear of playing lights out.". 

I had a limited time, I would actually love to dive deeper over like 30 years it just takes alottttt of time. I did go season by season and compare losses for all of the teams along with record etc..

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yeah, bad losses happen, but contenders string victories together. Losing a bad game isn’t the end of the world, but at some point you need a winning streak to be a legitimate contender. No one in the AFC has gone on a decent winning streak, but we’re getting to the point of the season where someone is going to separate from the pack. The excuses are over if we want to be that team. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is an interesting break down, but I still think the focus is not so much about losing a bad team, but why it happened.

And the why here is obviously the failure to address a problem that has proven to be a major issue all season and will continue to be no matter what happens the rest of the way.

The oline problem is also why I think we haven't even seen a blowout type of loss yet, but it's likely coming and if not this week against the Jets wouldn't be shocked if the Colts are the team that does it.

4 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Maybe the Bills will learn from the 3 losses that you have to play angry.  I suspect they'll be loaded for bear this week.  

That was the problem?  We weren't "angry" enough?

Where does this stuff come from?   

giphy.gif

Right the ship this weekend and get nice win over the Colts and I think the board will calm down.

A win over the Jets and a loss to the Colts will only add to the narrative that this team is overrated and can't beat a good opponent. 

Lose to the Jets and you can officially put McDermott on the hot seat.  A team this talented can't lose back to back games to the Jags and Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mango said:

Is Pittsburgh a bad team? And remind me, did Miami beat us or have we outscored them 61 - 11 this year? And how bad did they play Thursday night?

There's no excuse for that Jax debacle, but I don't look at the other two games that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.