Oh Sammy...I don't miss you. Pathetic effort here.

Hebert19

22 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Impossible debate?  Possibly so, but definitely fertile ground for some nostalgic palms to the forehead.  We have a few beauties to choose from.  How do we dismiss Maybin, Patulski, Flowers, M. Williams, and even Willis McGahee for a curious move?  But for pure boneheadedness, given the big picture, yeah...  the Watkins trade/pick looks sufficiently horrible in the rear view mirror to merit the top of the hit list.

Still, my personal favorite and close runner up blew up in their face immediately...  To have the #1 overall, pick a linebacker (Tom Cousineau), refuse to pay him, and then run him out of town, (even out of the country) before he ever plays a down...  that will live in infamy in my Bills psyche as the worst of all Bills draft moments or memories...   At least they somehow came out of that same draft with Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett, Jeff Nixon and Rod Kush.  So typically Billsy Charles Dickens of them!

I hear you on the Cousineau debacle but ….. Jim Kelly may have never been a Buffalo Bill without his situation. In an odd sequence OJ ….. leads to … Cousineau… who leads to …. Jim Kelly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I hear you on the Cousineau debacle but ….. Jim Kelly may have never been a Buffalo Bill without his situation. In an odd sequence OJ ….. leads to … Cousineau… who leads to …. Jim Kelly.

Nice!  So you're saying it also caused the misery of 4 Super Bowl losses and years of sports therapy?  Worse that I thought...  lol. I love this team.   Thanks!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He was definitely worth a 1st rounder, not 2, but He had some times when he was damn near uncoverable with Tyrod Taylor throwing him the ball. He got hurt, didnt take of his body and now believes in lizard people. I wouldnt want him, but he was definitely a first round talent 

In that WR class he definitely was not first round talent.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m gonna say Erik Flowers or Mike Williams 

I wouldn’t say that.  Williams was a miss but at the time he was a bonafide top 5 selection and thought of to be a future All Pro LT.  It didn’t work out but it wasn’t a bad pick.  Also Buffalo didn’t have to trade up for him.  

Flowers was another bad pick…but again bottom of the 1st round.  I think Aaron Maybin would be a better choice that Flowers.  That was a major reach and it backfired 

Before Sammy got dinged up he was looking like a solid acquisition for the Ravens. In a run heavy offense he was averaging just under 60 receiving yards per game on about 4 receptions a game. That's not setting the world on fire but given the context that's pretty nice production for a third or fourth option. But Sammy's issue has never been on field production even if he hasn't lived up to the hype of the draft he was still a productive NFL WR. Sammy's issue have always been availability and health. 

lol at Watkins,  im not surprised in the least.   i was one of what seemed like the few who was glad when he wasnt resigned.   everybody told me id be sorry,  he was a top ten talent,  etc etc.    i didnt hate Watkins,  he just couldnt stay on the field and wanted a huge new contract.  thats why i waived bye bye and was glad the Bills did as well.

he hasnt stuck with any team more than what,  2 years?  since he left the Bills.  shows how valuable he is.

• Agree 1

It’s a lot of fun bashing Sammy and rightly so, but he was a major factor in his team winning a ring, that can’t ever be taken away. True, it was one of the weakest teams to ever win a SB, but he got the job done when it counted the most.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Kelly was the 14th selection in round 1 but the second Bills first round pick in 1983........the first being TE Tony Hunter with the 12th selection........GM Norm Pollom claimed that the only reason he didn't take a QB with pick #12 was that he was fine with either Jim Kelly or Dan Marino so he wanted to make sure he got the TE and if one of the QB's went at #13 then he'd take the other.

So while the pick they used was part of that OJ/Cousineau sequence...........they were going to take Kelly with the prior pick.

That OJ/Cousineau/Kelly sequence is very interesting though.........but far less interesting than when the Bills traded the Mahomes pick for Tre White and Josh Allen (as it's often re-told by the tall-taled fisherman of TBD).

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, dave mcbride said:

Nearly impossible to predict injury. He was healthy in college and one of the best college receivers I've ever seen. He didn't pan out, but he was 100 percent a surefire first round talent. He has flashed it at times too, but he has so had so many nagging injuries -- hamstrings, thigh, ribs, ankle, etc. -- over the years that it doesn't show up in the stats.  

It wasn't just injuries, it was his attitude, lack of desire to be great and generally speaking what was between the ears.

23 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Julio worked out because they had Matt Ryan. If they Bills made that trade with Josh Allen instead of EJ, it might have worked. But it was doubling down on a bad pick and its why Whaley isn't working in the NFL anymore

It was not ever going to work because he didn't have what it took mentally to be an elite producing receiver.

On 11/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Sammy's career didn't live up to expectations. Sucks for us most since we went all in.  Clips like this don't make me feel any better or worse. Swing a miss for us, I've moved on.

Don't move on!  Remember!  And remember never to move up in a draft again!  For anyone!

Idiots move up; the smart guys trade down for more picks.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Rico said:

It’s a lot of fun bashing Sammy and rightly so, but he was a major factor in his team winning a ring, that can’t ever be taken away. True, it was one of the weakest teams to ever win a SB, but he got the job done when it counted the most.

His career has been a huge disappointment.............and he's proven to be too dumb to be a regular season superstar.............but yeah he was huge for the Chiefs in the playoffs.    When coverage gets tighter in the playoffs having a 3rd option that can play like a #1 for a few game stretch is very valuable.   Richard Sherman ain't been the same since Sammy broke his spirit in that SB.   Sherman had a pro bowl season that year.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His career has been a huge disappointment.............and he's proven to be too dumb to be a regular season superstar.............but yeah he was huge for the Chiefs in the playoffs.    When coverage gets tighter in the playoffs having a 3rd option that can play like a #1 for a few game stretch is very valuable.   Richard Sherman ain't been the same since Sammy broke his spirit in that SB.   Sherman had a pro bowl season that year.  

Right if Sammy had his head all together he would be amazing.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right if Sammy had his head all together he would be amazing.  

His stupidity has hurt him in every phase of the game.   People tend to view him as lazy but his injury problems in Buffalo started from over-work.   He'd get an injury and instead of being smart about it........staying off of it or working in the pool or other low impact ways to stay healthy..........he would train hard instead of smart.    The Bills not putting a veteran in the room with him as a rookie was one of the worst organizational moves of the drought.   By the time they actually signed Anquan Boldin to be that guy so many bad decisions had been made by both Sammy and the Bills that it's not surprising that they fell out and the Bills ended up getting next to nothing for him.    Just hard to un-watch those 2017-2018 WR corps.   Brutal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.