Cam Newton back to the Panthers? (Update - signed)

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder.   Is Carolina's GM trying to get fired or is this one on their crazy owner?  

They're paying him like a Pro Bowler when nobody else wanted him.  

This smells like owner. The fanbase down here is, understandably, pissed off. They really reminded me of Buff in McDs early years. Injuries started killing them, then Darnold reverted back to trash.

Big emotional swing from contender feel to hot trash. Tepper trying to drum up some excitement/tickets sales for the extended season. At this point its a good PR move, and as good as you're going to do for a bridge qb week 10. We shoulda kept Teddy B around, huge mismanagement of qb position by the GM imo

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What about Cam's playing style invited teams to beat the crap out of him?  As you point out, he would fight for the extra yard and not slide or go down.

Cam used to routinely take hits to the head, even while still in the pocket, and would not get flags. It was a real thing for a couple seasons back in the day.

I do not like Cam, but that was a real issue for awhile and in my opinion it was a completely legitimate claim, at the time. I remember watching some games and being completely amazed that he was not getting flags. Defenders were completely teeing off on him. And I'm talking about passing plays, not him as a runner.

• Agree 1

The Rhule/Panthers brain trust in action:

2020: Cut Newton, bring in Bridgewater:  $31 million paid for the year

2021: trade Bridgewater, trade a 2nd for Darnold, AND pick up his option for 2022:  $24 million committed

2021:  IR Darnold, sign..........Cam Newton!!:   $4.5+1.5 mil roster bonus, $6million

so,  25 games after they dumped him, it has cost this franchise over $60 million ($2.6 million per passing TD) and this year's 2nd round pick,  to end up with Newton as their starter again.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This smells like owner. The fanbase down here is, understandably, pissed off. They really reminded me of Buff in McDs early years. Injuries started killing them, then Darnold reverted back to trash.

Big emotional swing from contender feel to hot trash. Tepper trying to drum up some excitement/tickets sales for the extended season. At this point its a good PR move, and as good as you're going to do for a bridge qb week 10. We shoulda kept Teddy B around, huge mismanagement of qb position by the GM imo

Agreed.

As I said elsewhere, he is meddlesome , egotistical and very free with his $
Local sports talk was crucifying them this week and Cam came up A lot. 

Still, I am actually surprised they resigned him. Local guy Norfleet said yesterday Cam was amenable per his sources but there was no way Rhule would go for it……

He got OVER RHULED😜 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.