All-22 Grades for Bills/Jaguars (The Athletic)

HappyDays

1. Did the Bills begin to figure out the Cover 2 shell late in the game?

The Jaguars frequently used a Cover 2 shell designed to split their safeties and take away all the deep parts of the field, having a line of five zone defenders in front of them while trying to get pressure on quarterback Josh Allen with only four rushers. It forces explosive passing offenses to be patient and nickel-and-dime their way down the field, and it essentially dares them to establish a ground game.

The defense also mixed in some Cover 3, sparingly sending in a fifth pass rusher. When sending four, it occasionally tried to confuse the offensive line by overloading one side of the protection with a linebacker or safety as a rusher and then dropping a defensive lineman into coverage. The Jaguars sent a fifth rusher on only seven of the 50 dropback opportunities, by my count. The Bills struggled to find a consistent answer for most of the game and, as we’ll get into later, the running game was of no help. However, when the Bills were trying for a game-winning drive, some recent success led to the Jaguars briefly abandoning their strategy that had worked so well all game.

It began during the Bills’ previous drive, which ended with Allen fumbling the ball. Without a consistent running game, Allen took matters into his own hands and also, in this case, his legs. Besides getting the ball out quickly and hammering the underneath targets, Allen also attempted to get outside of the pocket. In doing so, it drew that first layer of zone defenders toward him and jackknifed the previously impenetrable zone, allowing his receivers to find a soft spot.

Although the Bills failed to score a touchdown Sunday, their late success against the Cover 2 shell is, at the very least, some reason for optimism. An effective rushing attack would solve a lot of the Bills’ problems, but Allen changing the angle on some plays to attack the intermediate of the field can change things up a bit. Don’t be surprised to see the Bills work to move the pocket against this specific defense in the future as they also try to rejuvenate their running game.

2. A play-by-play look at how each RB rushing attempt unraveled

When the Bills were involving their running backs, the rushing attack was an outright disaster Sunday. The Bills were facing a defensive line they could succeed against, but the Jaguars basically dared the Bills to run by dropping into a pass-thwarting zone most of the time. In total, Singletary and Zack Moss combined for nine rushing attempts.

For the second straight week, the runners didn’t get much help from the blockers in front of them, and it helped lead to the Bills almost entirely abandoning the ground game. Dawkins’ run blocking was the biggest weakness of the front five, which is a surprise given his ability. The Bills’ offensive line had done a better job leading up to the second Dolphins game, making it fair to wonder if that was an anomaly. After seeing similar results the past two weeks, the Bills can’t just go out and do the same things next week and expect different results. They need either a lineup change or some different philosophies implemented to jump-start the ground game.

3. Ford actually played better than most of his OL teammates

While Ford certainly contributed to some of the pass-blocking errors, he also held up pretty well in many one-on-one blocks. He was tied for the team lead with seven successful one-on-one blocks that lasted at least three seconds. Most of Ford’s pressures allowed were on plays that extended beyond the usual three-second threshold, whereas Dawkins and Williams each allowed some instant pressures.

Dawkins and Boettger struggled considerably against twists and stunts during which the duo had to pass off defenders from one to the other. That feel for each other seemed to be lacking, which led to some pressures. Ford’s run blocking was also among the best of the starting group, which adds to his day being slightly underrated. That isn’t to say Ford had an excellent game. He had enough struggles to be right around average to below average. However, only Morse had a better day than Ford on Sunday, so it might be a bit premature to say the Bills should just cut him and move on.

5. Sanders struggling as a blocker

Although not as important as other aspects of the Bills’ offensive struggles, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders went from an early-season strength as a blocker to something of a liability over the previous two games. The Bills tried to manufacture some quick touches to receivers as a substitute for the running game, and they gave Sanders a couple of chances to be the lead blocker to the outside. Sanders blew the block on both plays and allowed his defender to impact the play by either making the tackle or forcing the slot receiver inside to another would-be tackler.

Top 5 grades:

1) Edmunds (A-)

2) Hyde (A-)

3) Hughes (A-)

4) Poyer (A-)

5) Milano (B+)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst):

1) Boettger (C-)

2) Sweeney (C)

3) Williams (C)

4) Davis (C+)

5) Beasley (C+)

In case you were wondering, Dawkins and Ford each got a C+ and Morse got a B-.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Defense gets a A-,  Offense gets a C basically. 

I wonder why Beasley's grade is so low? 

Tommy Sweeny only had 2 targets and he caught both for 10 yards. He get that (C) for his blocking?

The TE is supposedly the cover 2 shell killer and he only saw two targets all game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Top 5 grades:

1) Edmunds (A-)

2) Hyde (A-)

3) Hughes (A-)

4) Poyer (A-)

5) Milano (B+)

1) Boettger (C-)

2) Sweeney (C)

3) Williams (C)

4) Davis (C+)

5) Beasley (C+)

You must've been typing this up as I finished posting a thread on this article.

All good.  I just deleted my thread so there aren't 2 of the same on the front page  :beer:

Let's hope the late game tendency of sort of figuring out how to beat that defense continues moving forward.

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Looked to me and to one other group (Cover one?) that his rib pain was preventing him from doing his usual good job getting YAC.

Yes cover 1 also showed a couple plays were he was just dogging it on some routes.  Im guessing it is because of his injuries as well.

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Tommy Sweeny only had 2 targets and he caught both for 10 yards. He get that (C) for his blocking?

The TE is supposedly the cover 2 shell killer and he only saw two targets all game.

Sweeney is terrible. He cannot get open. There was a play where he got blocked so far out of his route he got in the way of an open passing window to Diggs and Allen had to just throw it away. The only route he can run is a 4 yard stop and catch and immediately get tackled.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

he dropped an easy pass 

SO what?  He caught 7/10 of his other targets.  Yet this chickenhead Joe B gives a guy like Poyer, who has made a career out of tackling guys after they get 1st down yardage or just piling on an "A-".....

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Defense gets a A-,  Offense gets a C basically. 

I wonder why Beasley's grade is so low? 

Joe B's grades are always opaque to me. 

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You must've been typing this up as I finished posting a thread on this article.

All good.  I just deleted my thread so there aren't 2 of the same on the front page  :beer:

Let's hope the late game tendency of sort of figuring out how to beat that defense continues moving forward.

Now this makes me sad.  Don't delete stuff you've written up, I can always merge the threads if you ask.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Sweeney is terrible. He cannot get open. There was a play where he got blocked so far out of his route he got in the way of an open passing window to Diggs and Allen had to just throw it away. The only route he can run is a 4 yard stop and catch and immediately get tackled.

We gotta throw a little money at Gesecki next year. Pair him with Knox and say goodbye to Gilliam and Sweeney. 

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think this is the thread to do that in. Joe B analysis is 👎🏻

You read it, so pay for it. 

7 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

But it’s a dollar. And you can get better news from fakebook. 

That's just your opinion. If Joe's opinion is worthless then you wouldn't have taken the time to read his column on this thread. Just because you don't agree with Joe doesn't mean we should be posting his work for free. 

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Top 5 grades:

1) Edmunds (A-)

2) Hyde (A-)

3) Hughes (A-)

4) Poyer (A-)

5) Milano (B+)

1) Boettger (C-)

2) Sweeney (C)

3) Williams (C)

4) Davis (C+)

5) Beasley (C+)

I will constantly make this appeal.  Post the link but not the content. That's how the content ultimately dies (and it's unethical and should not be allowed on this site). 

So far, two posters have trashed Joe's analysis, commenting it's not worth buying. If they don't find the Athletics's content worthy, they should not have access it to it as well. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

SO what?  He caught 7/10 of his other targets.  Yet this chickenhead Joe B gives a guy like Poyer, who has made a career out of tackling guys after they get 1st down yardage or just piling on an "A-".....

I was just replying to someone as to why he was getting the blame 

I see Joe B I run the other way 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Poyer plays SAFETY in the NFL in a zone scheme that funnels everything underneath. He is likely having his best year of his career this season and playing at or near an all-pro level. What an awful example to use. I agree 100% with the shakiness in Joe Busc film analysis in general , however. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.