Sean McDermott press conference 11-10

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Thanks,  unless your football blind you would miss that,  both are average players and more than likely one of both will be out of the league before their second contracts. I hope Sean's changes mean giving someone else a chance,  like Sean said this has been a issue since last season.  Beane himself said it's a problem after the season

The RB situation is very bad. I agree, both backs time in Buffalo appears to be short and their NFL career as a whole wont be long. I think it is safe to say we have the worst backfield in the league or very close to worst.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Agree, I am listening right now, and it's mostly this message - the 2021 Bills haven't been physical enough, disciplined enough. 

It feels like McDermott is going to take the reigns more on offense and he's going to make a concerted effort to run more. 

But was this Press Conference any different than the usual? Not really, nothing specific. There is nowhere to turn on the offensive line personnel, and I don't think Gilliam can provide anything as a fullback, so I expect it to look pretty ineffective actually. 

Completely agree with this takeaway from the PC.  The man was a national champion wrestler in high school.  You don't think he is emphasizing that each player must win their one-on-one battles ("do your job" in Pats*** speak)?

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

To be honest I haven't listened to every press conference this year, but considering the circumstances I didn't expect McD to sound like everything is peaches and roses.

But what I observed you can tell the pressure is real especially since you had last week's opponent calling out this team for basically not giving a crap and that starts with the head coach obviously.

But again let's not pretend this is isolated to last week. The warning signs have been there since week one when this decided not to show up for their home opener despite all offseason to prepare and play in front of 80K fans again.

And then again coming out of a bye week when you lost a tough game on national television you'd think they'd be ready and motivated to send a message again at home but they waiting until the 4th quarter to show up and were lucky to win.

Bottom line it's time for the 2021 Bills to finally show what they are but sadly they may be exactly what we've seen the last 2 weeks.

Bad things that happened this time last year :

Got blown out by Titans and Chiefs

Almost lost to the Fitzpatrick led Dolphins

Beat the 2-14 Jets 18-10

Almost lost a 25 point lead to the Rams

Almost lost to the Cam Newton led Patriots if it weren't for a last minute fumble

Bad things that happened this year so far:

Upset against the Steelers

Tough close loss against the Titans

Upset against the Jaguars

I don't know. I find us to be doing better this year. Did it suck to lose to a team like the Jaguars? Sure. I don't think we are worse than last year though. We have dominated most of our opponents. I know it doesn't pass the vaunted eye test but we clearly are.

Of course that is "only" because of the QB's we faced this year right? 🤔

Yeah right. These guys:

Sam Darnold

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jared Goff

Derek Carr

Ryan Tannehill

Patrick Mahomes

Sam Darnold

Cam Newton

Aren't a whole lot better than these guys at this point:

Ben Roethlisberger

Tua Tagovailoa / Jacoby Brissett

Taylor Heinicke

Davis Mills

Patrick Mahomes

Ryan Tannehill

Tua Tagovailoa

Trevor Lawrence

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

This Team needs to grow up fast! Too much clowning around during the week. Too much sitting around during the game on the sideline. This is way less about skill level and way more about heart and desire.  The Bills roster is head and shoulders above the Jaguars and yet, if you include the first half of the Miami game, the Bills have now been sleepwalking for seven out of eight quarters since the Bye Week. Unacceptable.

Fix it, Coach!

I've said it on here before and get people down my throat. The Bills were distracted this offseason. They thought rolling into camp and the work they did last offseason would carry them over.

Last year, teams had an interrupted offseason program, but the Bills players got together A LOT during the offseason. This offseason, that did not happen and several player got sidetracked by things unrelated to football. Add on all of the ballwashing of both players and certain coaches...

Maybe, I'm overestimating the impact, but I think they had a huge advantage last offseason over other teams and didn't follow it up this year. 

Edited by Malazan

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Bad things that happened this time last year :

Got blown out by Titans and Chiefs

Almost lost to the Fitzpatrick led Dolphins

Beat the 2-14 Jets 18-10

Almost lost a 25 point lead to the Rams

Almost lost to the Cam Newton led Patriots if it weren't for a last minute fumble

Bad things that happened this year so far:

Upset against the Steelers

Tough close loss against the Titans

Upset against the Jaguars

I don't know. I find us to be doing better this year. Did it suck to lose to a team like the Jaguars? Sure. I don't think we are worse than last year though. We have dominated most of our opponents. I know it doesn't pass the vaunted eye test but we clearly are.

Of course that is "only" because of the QB's we faced this year right? 🤔

Yeah right. These guys:

Sam Darnold

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jared Goff

Derek Carr

Ryan Tannehill

Patrick Mahomes

Sam Darnold

Cam Newton

Aren't a whole lot better than these guys at this point:

Ben Roethlisberger

Tua Tagovailoa / Jacoby Brissett

Taylor Heinicke

Davis Mills

Patrick Mahomes

Ryan Tannehill

Tua Tagovailoa

Trevor Lawrence

My point of frustration and criticism with this team is that they haven't done anything yet.

One division title in the last 25 years during a weird covid season with no fans/normal circumstances doesn't give them a pass to not work hard every week and prove their staying power. And it shouldn't take 8 week into the season and losing to a team like the Jaguars for the team to get serious and 'stop dancing' at practice type of antics.

It's also why I hate how people keep pointing out the Bucs last year when they were 7-5 coming before running the table. The big difference there is that they had the GOAT of any sport in his first year with the team. And what we know about Brady is that he demands excellence from 52 other players on his team. If Allen and McDermott were a proven SB winning combination there certainly would be less concern right now but they are not.

But to the point of who we've played thus far this year, you are right not really anyone of note but Mahomes who we did beat but he's having the worst season of his pro career thus far even with the Chiefs winning their last few games. This is also why I feel the 4 game win streak earlier in the season was a mirage given the other teams/QB's we faced in that same stretch and don't believe this team is capable of going on a similar run in the 2nd half of the season compared to last year.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Good PC - he is clearly displeased with his offensive coaches (Daboll and Johnson), and he came as close as he'll ever come to calling out an individual player (Dawkins).

At least they’re recognizing Dawkins now. That’s better than making excuses like some on this board. 

Sounded right on the money to me.

Some things change and some things don’t. Football is a physical game. That will never change. The Bills offense hasn’t been physical since Daboll took over as OC. That needs to change if they are going to right the ship on offense and McDermott obviously knows it.

Now let’s see what he does about it.

Edited by vincec

4 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

looked up PFF stats - Dawkins has 7 penalties tied for second most in the league  - he and Morse are our highest rated OL - with grades in the 60s -

with Brown next with Feliciano who has not given up a sack.

Teller grades in the high 80s.

With all due respect, Bills fandom has to let this Teller crap go. It's over & done with....

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The RB situation is very bad. I agree, both backs time in Buffalo appears to be short and their NFL career as a whole wont be long. I think it is safe to say we have the worst backfield in the league or very close to worst.

This is a comically bad take.

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

I certainly can’t think of 2 backs that are worse. I’ve felt that way for 2 years. Everyone made excuses. 

Nor can I - truthfully both look worse than last year. Moss appears fat and slower and Motor seems to bulked up more than his frame allows and isnt as shifty. D coordinators certainly do not lose sleep over those 2.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His year with us, Gore averaged 3.6 ypa.  That average of 3.6 ypa was comprised of games 3-6, where he averaged 5.3 ypa, games 2 and 7 where he had 3.6 and 3.8 ypa, and  then games 8-14 where he averaged 2.1 ypa (and that's inflated by a single game; many were 1.22 or 1.5 ypa)

So, I'm not quite sure what exactly you're missing.  Halfway through the season, Gore was cooked and it was painful to watch.

It just made me think if we had someone with his size and strength that wasn't near the end of his career we wouldn't need to worry as much about an o-line to make holes right now. Gore was certainly slow but it was funny to watch him trudge ahead with three guys hanging off him. Obviously if we had someone like that who also had speed we'd basically have our own Derrick Henry but cloning technology isn't that far ahead yet.

So.....Do you think Boomer would say, based on McDermott's press conference, that this is happening?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/13/cbs-sports-boomer-esiason-buffalo-bills-brian-daboll/?itm_source=parsely-api

Esiason, soon after the game in the CBS Sports studios, did not hold back on his feelings toward Daboll after the stunning loss for Buffalo.

“Now all of a sudden, what is Brian Daboll doing?” Esiason said after discussing the positives Daboll showed last season. “Doesn’t he have to sit down with the quarterback and just say, ‘Hey, look man, this is what we’re trying to do. This is our plan. You don’t have to do this all yourself.'”

Boomer Esiason says on the CBS postgame show that someone needs to hold the #Bills offensive coordinator responsible.

Specifically. Esiason believed there was a problem with Buffalo’s rushing attack. In their recent game, running backs only had nine carries combined between Devin Singletary and Zack Moss.

“They should be thinking about running the ball late in the season. That’s how you win games in inclement weather. You’ve got an all-weather quarterback. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a superstar. He’s a great player. But right now, in the last couple of weeks, I don’t know what’s going on up there,” Esiason said.

“They just need to get back to calling the right plays, but someone has to hold the offensive coordinator accountable and say, ‘Come on in here. Let’s sit down and talk about what we’re doing right and what we’re doing wrong. And how we can get it back to the right side of the ledger,'” he added.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So.....Do you think Boomer would say, based on McDermott's press conference, that this is happening?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/13/cbs-sports-boomer-esiason-buffalo-bills-brian-daboll/?itm_source=parsely-api

I think McDermott will hold everyone accountable that needs to be held accountable, including himself. That is who he is. He is driven to building a championship caliber team and he is always motivated to make this team better.

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think McDermott will hold everyone accountable that needs to be held accountable, including himself. That is who he is. He is driven to building a championship caliber team and he is always motivated to make this team better.

I dunno.  There was a lot of talk about problems with the run game last season.  Obviously, it has not been adequately addressed.

Last year, we ran vs the Patriots, then very little next 2 games

Lots of talk about fixing the run game over the Bye, ran vs the Chargers, then run game disappeared again vs. 49ers, Steelers, Dolphins, Colts, Ravens.  Against the Ravens, we didn't even try.

I think that McDermott and Daboll have a fundamental philosphical difference about the role of a rushing game in a modern offensive attack.

IMO, Daboll views the run game as optional, and believes he can successfully and consistently attack defenses without it.  I think he views the run game as something you dust off and bring out of the closet when you occasionally need it, not something you must execute successfully every game whether you need it or not.  And I think he views it as something you try a handful of times, and if it's not working, you stop trying.  I think this because Daboll has said in pressers "everyone wants a balanced offense, but when something isn't working, you better do more of what's working and less of the other thing" or words to that effect, several times now.

This likely colors what he "bangs the table for" as an OC, both in terms of off-season talent and of weekly player activations.

As a former defensive coordinator, McDermott views a capable run threat as integral to an offense on every down.  He understands at a fundamental level how much easier his life as a DC becomes, if on the overwhelming majority of the plays, the opponent presents no credible run threat from the backs or if there's a giant "Tell" as to when they must concern themselves with the run and when they can pin their ears back and attack the pass. 

And that's really where we are.  We are 63% of the time in shotgun (340 out of 538 run or pass offensive plays).  We pass 74% of shotgun plays, and I'd bet that the majority of the 26% of the time (91 attempts) we rush, it's a Josh Allen scramble (Allen has 57 of our 216 rush attempts).  So about 2/3 of the time, the DC can say "contain Allen, and attack the pass"

For McDermott to say "I thought we'd be further along at this point" IMO indicates he believed he had conveyed to Daboll the need to adopt his philosophy, if not in the off-season then after the Pittsburgh game, and it was being addressed.

I think McDermott prefers to "stay in his lane" and be hands-off the offense, and that may have blinded him to what was happening especially because overall, prior to Jax, our rushing stats have been up this season and you have to look under the hood to see how much of that is due to Josh and how many of Josh's yards are YAC. 

Bottom line, if he doesn't oversee Daboll on this issue, I don't think we're going to see much of a change.  We'll see what we saw last year, where we focus on the run and run the ball down the throats of a couple of opponents, then another week back off and go pass pass pass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno.  There was a lot of talk about problems with the run game.

Last year, we ran vs the Patriots, then very little next 2 games

Lots of talk about fixing the run game over the Bye, ran vs the Chargers, then run game disappeared again vs. 49ers, Steelers, Dolphins, Colts, Ravens

I think that McDermott and Daboll have a fundamental philosphical difference about the role of a rushing game.

IMO, Daboll views the run game as optional, and believes he can successfully attack defenses without it.  I think he views the run game as something you dust off and bring out of the closet when you occasionally need it, not something you must execute successfully every game whether you need it or not.  And I think he views it as something you try a handful of times, and if it's not working, you stop trying.  I think this because of stuff that Daboll has said in pressers to the effect of "everyone wants a balanced offense, but when something isn't working, you better do more of what's working and less of the other thing"

This likely colors what he "bangs the table for" as an OC, both in terms of off-season talent and of weekly player activations.

As a former defensive coordinator, McDermott views a capable run threat as integral to an offense on every down.  He understands at a fundamental level how much easier his life as a DC becomes, if on the overwhelming majority of the plays, the opponent presents no credible run threat from the backs or if there's a giant "Tell" as to when they must concern themselves with the run and when they can pin their ears back and attack the pass.

For McDermott to say "I thought we'd be further along at this point" IMO indicates he believed he had conveyed the need to follow this philosophy to Daboll, if not in the off-season then after the Pittsburgh game, and it was being addressed.

I think McDermott prefers to "stay in his lane" and be hands-off the offense, and that may have blinded him to what was happening especially because overall, prior to Jax, our rushing stats have been up this season and you have to look under the hood to see how much of that is due to Josh and how many of Josh's yards are YAC. 

Bottom line, if he doesn't oversee Daboll on this issue, I don't think we're going to see much of a change.  We'll see what we saw last year, where we focus on the run and run the ball down the throats of a couple of opponents, then another week back off and go pass pass pass.

When McDermott says, "I thought we'd be further along at this point," it doesn't necessarily indicate he is demanding a change in philosophy on the part of Daboll. It could simply be referring to executing the run game efficiently when they need to.  I think McDermott is more concerned with the ability to run when they need to run, as opposed to how much they run. Although, I also think he would like to run it more than they do, but he also understands the strengths of this team.

My point was that, IMO, McDermott is not the kind of coach that is hesitant in any way to reign anyone in or holding them accountable. He also is not the kind of head coach to subordinate his philosophies to those of his assistants if he believes his philosophies are better for the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.