ESPN Rest of Season Predictions

First Round Bust

yeah its espn,but its rationale and this portal of higher thought desperately needs it this week...below is the Pats synopsis as well

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills (5-3)

What we know: The Bills were making a solid case as the best team in the AFC, but then the loss at Jacksonville happened. This remains a good football team with some areas to correct. Quarterback Josh Allen and his many weapons have not flashed like they did earlier in the season due to offensive line struggles and issues in the running game. The Bills, however, have a high ceiling and should improve when players return from injury. The defense is a step ahead of last season's team and can give plenty of teams trouble.

What we don't know yet: Will the loss to the Jaguars be the exception and not a sign of bad things to come? The question going into Jacksonville was whether this team would take a step forward and go further than last season, when they lost to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship. The expectations are sky high, and major changes will need to be made going forward if this version of the Bills has an opportunity to be the first to go to the Super Bowl since the 1993 season.

Final record prediction: 12-5. There will be a couple more stumbling blocks along the way against some top opponents on the Bills' schedule, but Buffalo will finish among the conference's best record. -- Alaina Getzenberg

New England Patriots (5-4)

What we know: They are a mentally and physically tough team that has been in every game, and the Pats are bringing along rookie quarterback Mac Jones masterfully as he learns on the job. Their early-season struggles were a result of sloppy ball security and failure to come up with the big play in the critical situation, but that has changed over the past few weeks during a three-game winning streak that has helped turn their season around. Depth in the defensive backfield might ultimately prove to be an Achilles' heel, but for now, they are getting the most out of what they have.

What we don't know yet: Is the ceiling for the Jones-led offense high enough to make a run into the playoffs? Jones has, by all accounts, performed well through the first nine games of his rookie season. There is a reason no rookie QB has ever led his team to the Super Bowl, so while Jones shows promise, he also serves up a reminder of his youth at times with mistakes. Meanwhile, on defense, the secondary is thinner than desired and is one injury away from a potentially significant drop-off.

Final record prediction: 10-7. Two games remaining against the AFC East-leading Bills, and a home date against the surging Titans, highlight some

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bleacher Report also still high on the Bills' chances in the AFC and see them making a deep run in the playoffs.  They also have Buffalo finishing at 12-5 and NE at 10-7.  Seems the national media has a lot more faith in this team than most some of the fans do.  What a strange time to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950148-nfl-playoff-predictions-at-the-midseason-mark

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Bleacher Report also still high on the Bills' chances in the AFC and see them making a deep run in the playoffs.  They also have Buffalo finishing at 12-5 and NE at 10-7.  Seems the national media has a lot more faith in this team than most some of the fans do.  What a strange time to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2950148-nfl-playoff-predictions-at-the-midseason-mark

Fans, short for fanatics, overly emotionally invested and not able to make rationale summations.    Just gotta ride the wave sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

After a tough loss many Bills fans retreat under the covers and cry for awhile, thinking the Bills will never win another game. All the drought and super bowl insecurities flood back.

But in a couple weeks when the Bills have shown that they are still a good team, the perpetual naysayers will be forced back under their slimy rocks and everything will be fine again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

11-6 with two Jet wins and a split with the Pats and the division is ours.  Need 3 wins from Colts, Saints Bucs Panthers and Falcons.  Assuming loss to Bucs, need to split with Colts/Saints and beat Panthers and Falcons at home.  Most doable unless we totally go in the tank, as some here predict.  

Pats have very little margin for error and a harder schedul...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

After a tough loss many Bills fans retreat under the covers and cry for awhile, thinking the Bills will never win another game. All the drought and super bowl insecurities flood back.

But in a couple weeks when the Bills have shown that they are still a good team, the perpetual naysayers will be forced back under their slimy rocks and everything will be fine again.

You might be the most extreme of the over-reactors..........because displacing your anxiety about the team onto the fans is your get-off.

Talk about inappropriate responses.

As I've said.........if you were above it,  you'd ignore the hyperbole after a bad loss.

You are totally freaking out here this week though.   How many posts have you created attacking fans this week?  :lol:

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You might be the most extreme of the over-reactors..........because displacing your anxiety about the team onto the fans is your get-off.

Talk about inappropriate responses.

As I've said.........if you were above it,  you'd ignore the hyperbole after a bad loss.

You are totally freaking out here this week though.   How many posts have you created attacking fans this week?  :lol:

I can't speak for MJS but I disagree with you.

I agree with him and trust me I have no anxiety. I am not American and I've been fan for only 6 years, so I wasn't here through drought. So believe me I am above it, and I can't ignore what is happening here.

I didn't like the game, but for me it was less bad than what is happening here. Game lasts couple of hours and I can get over the loss pretty quickly, esp. if I think it was a fluke (which I think it was). But I also love reading these forums each day and it is much less fun after games like these. It obviously has to be less fun by definition (we just lost), but thats not the point - people can be sad and angry but still rational at the same time. And many just aren't.

I understand that it is what it is but that is the reason why I was also "attacking" overreactions this week, not my inability to get over anything team related.

Hope it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

I can live with Morse and a weakened Dawkins, but Ford, Feliciano, Boettger and Williams need to be replaced or at least benched. Play Bates somewhere,  play Doyle, play Douglas, I don't care. Just stop trotting these guys who can't run block or pass protect anymore. Spencer hurry up and return. No way we go 7-2 in these last 9.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

2 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

So are oddsmakers as we have the best odds to win the Super Bowl

Buffalo vs. Jacksonville . . . remember when Tyson lost to Buster Douglas - it was completely out of left field . . . when Douglas showed he was for real in that bout, it was too late for Tyson to respond.  Same thing happened to Bills v Jags.  Our 'boxers' (the OL) couldn't come back from the early haymakers and we had our 3rd loss.

It almost happened vs Miami, but we knew that was a divisional game and we had more respect for them.  To me, the silver lining vs the Jags is they were the lowest opponent we are going to face in 2021 - and look what happened - I think (and hope) a lesson was learned last week and we come out guns blazing for each opponent the remainder of the season.

No more, "We got this" - BS!  It's the NFL and we are gonna see most teams' best efforts against the Bills.

Me? I think its time to hit that proverbial "panic button"!!!! 

Gee, I wonder what defensive scheme the rest of the Bills opponents will run?

Cover 2 shell anyone? the Buffalo Bills kryptonite? the Titans, Jags, Steelers have strong D lines and who else does...yea, the NY Jets.

The Titans beat them with a crappy secondary, then they go on a bye week and come out cold to have a tough time against the 32nd ranked defense of the 1-7 Miami Dolphins who they should have destroyed.

The 1-6 Jaguars just beat the #1 offense, #1 defense Buffalo Bills with the 28th ranked defense and a notably poor secondary.

If its not time to hit the panic button now...then when?...after they get beaten at the Jets? Who usually play them tough at Met Life stadium.

This team should be destroying other teams. They have a top 5 QB, one of the very best receiver corps in the NFL. Good enough RBs to be a distraction.

If Brian Daboll can't remove his head from his ass long enough to figure out how to beat a cover 2 shell...perhaps its time the Bills benched his ass and let Ken Dorsey give it a shot. 

This team has far, far too much talent on offense to keep losing to these scrub teams!!

• Dislike 1

I picked 12-5 as well but at this point it's this teams ceiling IMO. Their floor could very well be 8 or 9 wins if they can't figure out away to cover for their glaring holes, most notably the oline and not sure how you do that without completely reinventing your offensive scheme midseason.

Also not sure I understand ESPN thinking the Bills would be the #1 seed at 12-5, that would mean the Titans fall apart and finish with at least 6 losses and not sure I see that happening looking at their schedule even without Henry. Also think Baltimore is going to be hard pressed to finish with more than 5 losses so we would have to beat them out on tiebreakers.

2 hours ago, Casey D said:

11-6 with two Jet wins and a split with the Pats and the division is ours.  Need 3 wins from Colts, Saints Bucs Panthers and Falcons.  Assuming loss to Bucs, need to split with Colts/Saints and beat Panthers and Falcons at home.  Most doable unless we totally go in the tank, as some here predict.  

Pats have very little margin for error and a harder schedul...

This is the worst case scenario floor for this team I agree. 

I think it's probably how it will play out.   

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This is the worst case scenario floor for this team I agree. 

I think it's probably how it will play out.   

11-6 is our ceiling. I don’t want to see the floor. We’ve got 2 weeks to get going on offense or the defense will slip and we’ll start getting blown out. 

This defense can’t hold too many more teams under 20 points.

Edited by Governor

40 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

If Brian Daboll can't remove his head from his ass long enough to figure out how to beat a cover 2 shell...perhaps its time the Bills benched his ass and let Ken Dorsey give it a shot. 

I am so damned sick of seeing Brian Daboll miss blocks and allow defenders immediately into the backfield to sack Josh Allen. Ugh!

3 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

I'm kind of shocked by how little the media has gone after the Bills for this loss. I really thought we'd be a punchline for the entire week after this game but I watched a few clips on Monday and most of the ones I saw acknowledged it was a bad loss but just treated it as the Bills being overconfident or just generally off because of the O-line.

The one I enjoyed the most was Kyle Brandt on One Bills Live. He didn't sugarcoat it just because he's liked by us fans and spoke a lot of truth about the problems on offense. At one point Tasker began talking crap about how fans think Mac Jones is now going to haunt us for 20 years like Brady did and Brandt shot him down and said it was basically BS and that we're the bullies now in the division and we should act like that when we play the Pats

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

I'm kind of shocked by how little the media has gone after the Bills for this loss. I really thought we'd be a punchline for the entire week after this game but I watched a few clips on Monday and most of the ones I saw acknowledged it was a bad loss but just treated it as the Bills being overconfident or just generally off because of the O-line.

The one I enjoyed the most was Kyle Brandt on One Bills Live. He didn't sugarcoat it just because he's liked by us fans and spoke a lot of truth about the problems on offense. At one point Tasker began talking crap about how fans think Mac Jones is now going to haunt us for 20 years like Brady did and Brandt shot him down and said it was basically BS and that we're the bullies now in the division and we should act like that when we play the Pats

It's only because it was a close loss but there are still plenty of national media salivating over the patriots now and starting to focus on them.

Also because there were some other big upsets last week (i.e. Denver destroying Dallas at home), again the national media is honing in there.

If the Bills lose to the Jets whether close or blowout you better believe any national media still supporting the Bills will officially be off the bandwagon for good though.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Fans, short for fanatics, overly emotionally invested and not able to make rationale summations.    Just gotta ride the wave sometimes. 

Losing 9-6 to a team that hasn’t won in the U.S. in over 2 years isn’t overreacting. We have serious issues.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Losing 9-6 to a team that hasn’t won in the U.S. in over 2 years isn’t overreacting. We have serious issues.

We will see.  If the Bills continue to lose, and miss the playoffs, it wasnt an overreaction.   If they win a majority of their games, make the playoffs, and do well, then it was.  Right now them losing to a bad team is the anomaly.   I'd call having emotional reactions based on anomalies an overreaction.    

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.