Hump Day Hypothetical

hondo in seattle

You wake up today and discover that – much to your surprise – the Pegulas have given you complete ownership of the Bills.   And if that isn’t strange enough, you’ve learned that you have a team of scientists on staff who have just invented a time machine.  It’s complicated and expensive to operate but they can fetch any Bills player you want from the past and add them to the team.   But just one. 

So who do you get?

A couple of weeks ago, I probably would have said Bruce in his prime.  Bruce would elevate this DL to elite status and scare the bejeezers out of opposing QBs. 

But after the Jags debacle, Joe D comes to mind for all the obvious reasons. 

But maybe a better back would help this offense even more and here are the first three backs I thought of...

OJ:  Possibly the best pure runner ever.  Just give him the ball seven yards behind the line of scrimmage and he’ll find a hole, even if it’s not where it was schemed to be.  OJ would instantly force defenses to respect our run game – something they don’t do now. 

Thurman:  He can slide through the smallest holes - an important talent for a back running behind a line that doesn't generate big ones.  And Thurman's a multidimensional weapon who can also block and catch.

Cookie:  "Lookie, Lookie!  Here comes Cookie!"   Any defense that decided to go light to stop Josh would get abused by the freight train called Gilchrist.  Cookie would add an element of physicality and fierceness to this offense that's missing now. 

In the end I'd personally pick pre-evil OJ and then ask Beane to rebuild the offensive line next year.  

Who would you send your scientists to get?  

I’d still take Bruce all day everyday. 
Did we watch the super bowl and playoffs last year? The league is all shiny with explosive offense and skill players but come playoff time…… You better be able to get to the quarterback and you better be able to do it often. Even in todays NFL I still believe defenses win championships. 

• Like (+1) 3

Bruce Smith is greatest Bill of all time and at a position of need. Thats the answer to the OP question.

Thurman is my favorite player of all time. I doubt Daboll would know how to use him. Pass catching running backs can still be lethal even in today's NFL.  He could transform this offense.

Outside consideration for Jason Peters or Reuben Brown.  Both were all time talents and would improve the O-line

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's why I called him "pre-evil."  OJ's was reputedly a good guy before he wasn't.   Your scientists would get the good guy.   

By all reports he was a horrible person even before the murders. He was a good TV personality and a horrible human being.  He should be taken off the wall even before they move to a new stadium.

That said his combo of size and speed has rarely been seen in the NFL. Only other guys that come to mind are Eric Dickerson and Derrick Henry.

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bruce Smith is greatest Bill of all time and at a position of need. Thats the answer to the OP question.

Thurman is my favorite player of all time. I doubt Daboll would know how to use him. Pass catching running backs can still be lethal even in today's NFL.  He could transform this offense.

Outside consideration for Jason Peters or Reuben Brown.  Both were all time talents and would improve the O-line

By all reports he was a horrible person even before the murders. He was a good TV personality and a horrible human being.  He should be taken off the wall even before they move to a new stadium.

That said his combo of size and speed has rarely been seen in the NFL. Only other guys that come to mind are Eric Dickerson and Derrick Henry.

I would argue that OJ is better than either one.  I personally feel the greatest RB of all-time is a two man conversation: Jim Brown and OJ.  

But, yeah, Bruce is also an all-time great.  Hard to pass up.  And Peters and Brown would be HUGE additions to the biggest position of need on the team.  

28 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’d still take Bruce all day everyday. 
Did we watch the super bowl and playoffs last year? The league is all shiny with explosive offense and skill players but come playoff time…… You better be able to get to the quarterback and you better be able to do it often. Even in todays NFL I still believe defenses win championships. 

I think maybe in the 60s and 70s, the most impactful defensive players on the field were the hard-hitting LBs.  Now it's whoever can pressure the QB - rush linebacker or DE. 

It's all about the pass now - and stopping the pass.  So Bruce's skillset would be ideal for today's game.  

25 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Bruce hands down!  The dude is the ultimate gamechanger.

I guess my counterargument would simply be: our D doesn't need a lot of help.  We're not giving up a lot of yards or points.  Certainly Bruce would take the D to a new level, but would that help us win more games?  Would Bruce really be a "gamechanger" on this D?

Offensive Line is where we need the most help.  But would one guy - Joe D, Ruben Brown, whoever - make a big enough difference?

I think a back like OJ - who can make something out of nothing - would make the OL look better. 

OJ would also force the defense to respect the running game which would slow down the pass rush and make the DC a little more reluctant about filling up his back end with DBs.   I remember OJ making a lot of defensive backs look downright silly trying to tackle him.    With more cautious D linemen, more LBs on the field and fewer DBs - the passing game would become  more effective.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Brian Brohm. He never got a fair shot.

In this episode of "Where Are They Now?" - the great Brian Brohm.

While he never got his fair shot as a Bill, Brian is alive and well as a college coach thanks to the old tried-and-true practice of nepotism.

His brother, Jeff Brohm, is the head coach of my alma mater, Purdue.  And Jeff hired Brian to be the QB coach and co-OC.  

The brothers did produce two 10+ point victories over Top Five ranked opponents this season.  Then again, they dropped three games against lesser squads.  

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I would argue that OJ is better than either one.  I personally feel the greatest RB of all-time is a two man conversation: Jim Brown and OJ.  

But, yeah, Bruce is also an all-time great.  Hard to pass up.  And Peters and Brown would be HUGE additions to the biggest position of need on the team.  

I agree OJ is in that conversation. Bruce Smith's speed and size for the position and ability to play run and pass has rarely been seen.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I guess my counterargument would simply be: our D doesn't need a lot of help.  We're not giving up a lot of yards or points.  Certainly Bruce would take the D to a new level, but would that help us win more games?  Would Bruce really be a "gamechanger" on this D?

Offensive Line is where we need the most help.  But would one guy - Joe D, Ruben Brown, whoever - make a big enough difference?

I think a back like OJ - who can make something out of nothing - would make the OL look better. 

OJ would also force the defense to respect the running game which would slow down the pass rush and make the DC a little more reluctant about filling up his back end with DBs.   I remember OJ making a lot of defensive backs look downright silly trying to tackle him.    With more cautious D linemen, more LBs on the field and fewer DBs - the passing game would become  more effective.  

Our D is not nearly as good as people want to believe.  Still can't generate consistent pass rush and the have played patsies at the QB position 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree OJ is in that conversation. Bruce Smith's speed and size for the position and ability to play run and pass has rarely been seen.

While McD worries about the ugly current realities, I'll fantasize a bit.

Jerry Hughes has been really good at generating a high pressure rate, but not so hot at actually getting sacks.  I think one of the problems is that often when Hughes generates pressure, there's no one else there to wrap up.  The QB avoids Hughes and gets the pass away.

Imagine Hughes on one side and Bruce on the other... and the QB feeling pressure from both sides!   That would be so fun to watch!

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Our D is not nearly as good as people want to believe.  Still can't generate consistent pass rush and the have played patsies at the QB position 

I want to believe our D is as good as our stats say.  But I don't.  I understand the second half of your statement.  

But the D isn't bad.  Our offensive line is.  At this point in the season, I worry about our O far more than our D - despite your valid concerns about it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.