Barkley signing with the Panthers/ Darnold’s done

Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is on year 2 of a very expensive seven year deal with no break clause. If Tepper wants to fire him he better back up the brink trucks. 

Another billionaire making another dumb NFL business decision.  

Rhule is a nobody with a year in 2012 as an NFL assistant position coach.  He's a college kid coach.  Prior to Panthers, he was at Baylor where his teams went 1-11, 6-6, 11-1.  

Yet Tepper backed up the truck to pay this dude crazy money.  What could go wrong??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, FlaFitz1 said:

This signing has nothing to do with Darnold's play and everything to do with the fact he has an incomplete fracture of his right shoulder blade and is likely to miss several weeks.

Darnold doesn’t start another game this year for the Panthers, even when cleared to play.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you come up with that independently or borrow this?

Either way, it's funny.  Harsh, but funny.

Hap, I’m a lot of things, but if I use someone else’s work I acknowledge it.  

It seemed a very natural comment upon reading what you wrote and I was surprised you didn’t hit it when you teed it up.  I actually checked the 7 or 8 posts that preceded mine to be sure no one had said it.  

Ironically, my initial post was corrected from Darnold to Darnell… I had to edit a 5 word post. 🤣

🤙

On 11/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, mannc said:

Yep, and Carolina minus Darnold might not be a bad team.

I think they are an oline and a QB away. They have excellent weapons, they have good pieces on defense.... When Sam was efficient through the first three games you saw what they can be. As soon as he regressed to the mean they are a bit of a mess. The oline definitely needs work too though. Taylor Morton is steady the rest are not good enough. John Miller is starting for them at guard!

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they are an oline and a QB away. They have excellent weapons, they have good pieces on defense.... When Sam was efficient through the first three games you saw what they can be. As soon as he regressed to the mean they are a bit of a mess. The oline definitely needs work too though. Taylor Morton is steady the rest are not good enough. John Miller is starting for them at guard!

Gunner,

All sarcasm aside, “ online and QB” away is like being on a desert island.  They have a 1,4,5,5,6,6,7 in the draft so the phone they have on their island is just about out of juice.

Matt Paradis just blew his knee out so they are truly screwed. And he has never lived up to expectations as it was.

They will have to trade good players away( R. Anderson, D. Jackson, S. Thompson?) to acquire the capital to get anyone of value or more draft capital. 

They have no shot at Rodgers or? In the free agent market. YOLO talked about Trubisky going there but Rhule and co have shot their “ Reclamation wad” . I would be stunned if they bring in anything other than a rookie draft pick( which I hear aren’t looking that good this college year) and keep Barkley or some other place holder. Mark my word, Darnold is gone or the third string inactive next year.

And that doesn’t even include the O line which need a bigger rebuild than the Bills.

And, they will be installing a new Offense next year as Brady ( wonderkid extrordinaire) crapped the NFL OC bed mightily.

Their misery has made my NFL Week a little more palatable 🤓

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Gunner,

All sarcasm aside, “ online and QB” away is like being on a desert island.  They have a 1,4,5,5,6,6,7 in the draft so the phone they have on their island is just about out of juice.

Matt Paradis just blew his knee out so they are truly screwed. And he has never lived up to expectations as it was.

They will have to trade good players away( R. Anderson, D. Jackson, S. Thompson?) to acquire the capital to get anyone of value or more draft capital. 

They have no shot at Rodgers or? In the free agent market. YOLO talked about Trubisky going there but Rhule and co have shot their “ Reclamation wad” . I would be stunned if they bring in anything other than a rookie draft pick( which I hear aren’t looking that good this college year) and keep Barkley or some other place holder. Mark my word, Darnold is gone or the third string inactive next year.

And that doesn’t even include the O line which need a bigger rebuild than the Bills.

And, they will be installing a new Offense next year as Brady ( wonderkid extrordinaire) crapped the NFL OC bed mightily.

Their misery has made my NFL Week a little more palatable 🤓

Yep, fair point. It is a tough spot cos the roster is too good to suck. But you are right that building an Oline and finding a Quarterback with limited draft capital isn't easy. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:39 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

(Re: Allen being top of the 2018 QB class)

Has anyone gone back to look at what the "experts" said? I'd tend to agree with this. Wasn't it something like an even split between Mayfield/Allen/Darnold/Rosen with a smaller Lamar contingent?

1st I'll address the Allen at the top of the class.  I have collected several 2018 draft opinions that were published that I printed years ago.  Going to my files here are the results.

Anyone who put on ESPN in 2018 knows Mel Kiper Jr. had Josh Allen at the top of his QB rankings. In fact, at the time Kiper had Allen ranked as the 9th best QB prospect in the history of his ratings (He now has moved Josh to #10 with the addition of Trevor Lawrence above Josh)

My favorite draft expert, the late Dave Te' Thomas had Josh at the top of his 2018 QB ratings.  The headline to his analysis is " On potential, Josh Allen is cream of the quarterback crop. 

Frank Coyle's Draft Insiders had Josh Allen 3rd, behind in order  Darnold and Rosen, and ahead Mayfield & Jackson.  He had this week's Jets QB, Mike White, at 7.

Athlon Sports 2018 NFL Draft Guide ranked Allen #3.  Their rankings in order were Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, Riley Ferguson, Benkert, Faulk, White, Lee, Lauletta, Linehan, Briscoe, Barrett, Kyle Allen  

There were many mock drafts that had the Bills trading up for Josh Allen.  I think that it wasn't a very well kept secret that the Bills wanted Josh Allen.  As long as Cleveland didn't take him #1 the path was clear since the Bills had a trade up to #5 worked out and a backup plan (the one that happened) at #7.  So with all those mocks of Allen to the Bills, the "experts" knew something.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Another billionaire making another dumb NFL business decision.  

Rhule is a nobody with a year in 2012 as an NFL assistant position coach.  He's a college kid coach.  Prior to Panthers, he was at Baylor where his teams went 1-11, 6-6, 11-1.  

Yet Tepper backed up the truck to pay this dude crazy money.  What could go wrong??

The reason he signed Rhule to such a big contract was because it was rumored that the NY Giants 1st choice was Rhule and the Panthers owner wanted to beat out the Giants.  After Rhule went to Carolina, the Giants signed Joe Judge. 

Lose/Lose. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/9/2021 at 3:48 PM, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-plan-to-sign-quarterback-matt-barkley

Darnold’s stats in Clt are even worse than with the Jets.

Rhule’s decision to keep his former Temple player PJ Walker as the only backup QB is blowing up in his face. 
    The Panthers are dumpster firing hotter than any other current team. Barkley is going to get fed to the wolves behind an O line that makes ours look like a Pro Bowl roster.

I legit feel bad for Matt. I hope he gouges them for a tidy sum for the beating he is about to take.

You feel bad for an NFL head coach?

Yikes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.