Barkley signing with the Panthers/ Darnold’s done

Buffalo Boy

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What choice do you think the Panthers have exactly about those big $$? 

5th year option was fully guaranteed at signing - $18.6M next season.

What are they gonna do, say "everyone could see our OL was trash and the guy broke his shoulder, but we so strongly don't believe in him that we want you to take him and his $18.6M off our hands"?

If they want to trade Sam, they're gonna have to eat a good part of his salary I do believe.

This is my understanding of 5th year options: 

“When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.”

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

This is my understanding of 5th year options: 

“When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.”

Interesting, Thanks.  I thought it was fully guaranteed.  Yeah, they're gonna want to kick him to the curb then.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm actually surprised Barkley would take his family into a dumpster fire rather than continuing to hang out with the elite Titans for the rest of the year.

Pretty simple reasoning - he gets paid a lot more being on a 53 man roster than he does on the Practice Squad. And Barkley doesn't have a whole lot of opportunities left to see playing time in the NFL. If you're him, you're going to jump at the chance to play. Even if it's with a bad team. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Pretty simple reasoning - he gets paid a lot more being on a 53 man roster than he does on the Practice Squad. And Barkley doesn't have a whole lot of opportunities left to see playing time in the NFL. If you're him, you're going to jump at the chance to play. Even if it's with a bad team. 

Yep, and Carolina minus Darnold might not be a bad team.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Trubisky will be the #1 QB of the Panthers? 

Not after bringing in Bridgewater then Darnold. Then passing on Fields to bring in CB Horne.

They also don’t have a second or third next year. 
    They are forced to draft someone unless they can get a Rogers or Wilson ( which they can’t)

Love the egos of the head coaches and GM's.  We'll fix this guy and bank our short term future on it despite no sustained previous success in his first three years in the NFL.  I said at the time it was a mistake to give up picks and pick up his 5th year option for Darnold.  However, I also wanted the Bills to draft Josh Rosen so they cancel each other out.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What choice do you think the Panthers have exactly about those big $$? 

5th year option was fully guaranteed at signing - $18.6M next season.

What are they gonna do, say "everyone could see our OL was trash and the guy broke his shoulder, but we so strongly don't believe in him that we want you to take him and his $18.6M off our hands"?

If they want to trade Sam, they're gonna have to eat a good part of his salary I do believe.

They are currently at $27 in two seasons to move on from QBs ( to worse options) We Have seen this movie before.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Darnold now reported as having incomplete fracture of shoulder

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32593531/source-carolina-panthers-qb-sam-darnold-incomplete-fracture-shoulder-blade

Perhaps he'll get the "your shoulder was actually broken at the time and you were trying to gut through it" pass out of Rhule's AwShit list

Darnold can’t even complete a fracture? 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, prissythecat said:

I kept reading here that all Darnold needed to shine was a change of scenery.   Perhaps a move to another team will finally do the trick ?

Well he did look good for a couple of games ;) 

He just needs to change teams multiple times during the season to keep things fresh ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Watching the UB game and espnu reported that Darnold has a fractured scapula. I would think that would cause some problems. 

Happened to me, then I couldn't flip the eggs properly to get 'over easy'. 🙁

18 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Well he did look good for a couple of games ;) 

He just needs to change teams multiple times during the season to keep things fresh ;)

Ever short players for 'playground football' as a kid?  We would take the most accurate arm in the bunch, and make him 'official QB'. 😁

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Happened to me, then I couldn't flip the eggs properly to get 'over easy'. 🙁

Ever short players for 'playground football' as a kid?  We would take the most accurate arm in the bunch, and make him 'official QB'. 😁

It would certainly save on player salaries ;)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he entered it when The Jets shipped him to Carolina for a 2nd round pick.  I heard that Twilight Zone du-da-du-do du-da-du-do when that news broke.

But this is definitely a big step further into the Zone.

I don't think they're going to let go of him that quickly, but Rhule's comments don't bode well for Sam.

They may not bode well for Rhule, either, depending upon what scope and seriousness of conversation he had with Sam before making it public.

This is a great point.  Rhule is in  water way over his head and he's letting Darnold lay in front of the bus, if not throwing him under it.   Now with Barkley, his days are likely numbered.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is a great point.  Rhule is in  water way over his head and he's letting Darnold lay in front of the bus, if not throwing him under it.   Now with Barkley, his days are likely numbered.

He is on year 2 of a very expensive seven year deal with no break clause. If Tepper wants to fire him he better back up the brink trucks. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is on year 2 of a very expensive seven year deal with no break clause. If Tepper wants to fire him he better back up the brink trucks. 

Tepper is D.Snyder 2.0.

He is egotistical, meddlesome and clearly feels he can pay his way into a Championship caliber team.

On one hand, the D they built is good.

On the other, their QB and O line evaluation has been an abject failure.

I think Rhule makes it through next year at a minimum with the proviso that OC Brady is gone ( maybe before the end of this season) and they bring in a competent OC. Also, the QB and O line show signs of improvement.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Tepper is D.Snyder 2.0.

He is egotistical, meddlesome and clearly feels he can pay his way into a Championship caliber team.

On one hand, the D they built is good.

On the other, their QB and O line evaluation has been an abject failure.

I think Rhule makes it through next year at a minimum with the proviso that OC Brady is gone ( maybe before the end of this season) and they bring in a competent OC. Also, the QB and O line show signs of improvement.

Yea Joe Brady will be back in college next year IMO. He has been a bad hire. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

They are about to clear some crazy amount of dead money this year and will only have 7 million dead cap next year so they could cut him.

Let’s review:

Cut Cam and eat $20 mil of guaranteed $ to sign Bridgewater.

Cut Bridgewater and pay him $7 mil to play for the Broncos.

Pickup Darnold’s fifth year option before he played a down😂😂😂

You better believe they can cut him. They have scored exactly one TD in the last 34 possessions. A defensive player started his presser by stating he was only going to answer questions about the D(!?!) Rhule is losing that locker room if he trots “ Captain Interception “ out there even a few more times. And PJ Walker is NOT a QB. He is worse than Darnold which is the real reason Rhule kept him in there. The next time they bench Darnold is the last time they do it.

So, yes, they are done with Darnold  and he is done as a starter in this league. Maybe not this week but maybe so.

Bad management continues in spite of a change of GMs this past offseason.  The last GM got fired in part because of the 1st move and what does the new GM come in & do?- moves 2 & 3.  That's like buying a new car & crashing it a block from the dealer where you picked it up.  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.