Barkley signing with the Panthers/ Darnold’s done

Buffalo Boy

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-plan-to-sign-quarterback-matt-barkley

Darnold’s stats in Clt are even worse than with the Jets.

Rhule’s decision to keep his former Temple player PJ Walker as the only backup QB is blowing up in his face. 
    The Panthers are dumpster firing hotter than any other current team. Barkley is going to get fed to the wolves behind an O line that makes ours look like a Pro Bowl roster.

I legit feel bad for Matt. I hope he gouges them for a tidy sum for the beating he is about to take.

Matt Rhule sounds pretty ticked at Darnold:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/sam-darnold-to-undergo-mri-on-right-shoulder

Head coach Matt Rhule decided not to bench Darnold so that he had an opportunity to "play through it" but his struggles continued. Following the game, Rhule was asked if the limited amount of reps he had throughout the week played a factor in his poor showing on Sunday.

"He would have to say. He got reps on Thursday. He got reps on Saturday. At the end of the day, I think that I don’t want to lay things on one person but we just can’t continue to keep throwing the ball up," Rhule said. "We have to protect the football. If you have an interception, if it’s a third down interception, that’s one thing. A first or second down interception, can’t happen. So, to me, those are decision-making things we have talked about and talked about and talked about and here we are at game nine of the season and it hasn’t happened. I wouldn’t say it was a misread or anything like that.

That's a 9 on a Boss-man Richter Scale for "You ***** Up, Boy"

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-plan-to-sign-quarterback-matt-barkley

Darnold’s stats in Clt are even worse than with the Jets.

Rhule’s decision to keep his former Temple player PJ Walker as the only backup QB is blowing up in his face. 
    The Panthers are dumpster firing hotter than any other current team. Barkley is going to get fed to the wolves behind an O line that makes ours look like a Pro Bowl roster.

I legit feel bad for Matt. I hope he gouges them for a tidy sum for the beating he is about to take.

Yikes 😬…Derek Anderson 2.0 coming up? Collect a check and concussion when you pass go, but there’s still free parking! 

He's there to back up Walker if Darnold can't play.  He can't get a beating while holding a clipboard on the sidelines.  

Exactly how did Rhule's decision to keep only PJ Walker as Darnold's backup blow up in his face?  What was he supposed to do?  The team chose to trade for Darnold in the offseason & let Walker & Will Greer vie for the backup spot.  Then like most other teams that carry 2 QBs, they added a practice squad QB as the 3rd stringer (James Morgan who is familiar with backing up Darnold). 

If anything blew up in Carolina's face it was the decision to trade for Darnold & dump Bridgewater, not choosing to keep 2 QBs & a PS QB.  Once that decision was made, and the worse decision to pick up Darnold's 5th year option of a guaranteed $18.858 million, Rhule's hands were tied.

If the GM keeps his job after the Darnold decisions, Carolina will be a dumpster fire for years to come.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

not defending Darnold here,  hes been bad,  but the team around him isnt exactly helping him,   his receivers are dropping balls all over the place,   no running game without McCaffrey,  etc,  etc.

i believe Robbie Anderson had something like 9 drops in one game this season,   thats disgusting.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm actually surprised Barkley would take his family into a dumpster fire rather than continuing to hang out with the elite Titans for the rest of the year.

Any practice squad player would rather get paid the NFL minimum for someone with his number of years in the league than get paid practice squad money. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

not defending Darnold here,  hes been bad,  but the team around him isnt exactly helping him,   his receivers are dropping balls all over the place,   no running game without McCaffrey,  etc,  etc.

i believe Robbie Anderson had something like 9 drops in one game this season,   thats disgusting.

Always excuses for Darnold.  He stinks and wasn't even good at USC, except for his first season.  He is a turnover factory.  He's pretty close to being OOF... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

They didn’t sign Barkley cause they’re done with Darnold, he fractured his scapula or something and is gonna be out awhile. Pretty sure they’re stuck with Darnold next year at least his guaranteed salary anyways 

They are about to clear some crazy amount of dead money this year and will only have 7 million dead cap next year so they could cut him.

Let’s review:

Cut Cam and eat $20 mil of guaranteed $ to sign Bridgewater.

Cut Bridgewater and pay him $7 mil to play for the Broncos.

Pickup Darnold’s fifth year option before he played a down😂😂😂

You better believe they can cut him. They have scored exactly one TD in the last 34 possessions. A defensive player started his presser by stating he was only going to answer questions about the D(!?!) Rhule is losing that locker room if he trots “ Captain Interception “ out there even a few more times. And PJ Walker is NOT a QB. He is worse than Darnold which is the real reason Rhule kept him in there. The next time they bench Darnold is the last time they do it.

So, yes, they are done with Darnold  and he is done as a starter in this league. Maybe not this week but maybe so.

32 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I kept reading here that all Darnold needed to shine was a change of scenery.   Perhaps a move to another team will finally do the trick ?

They gave him a worse line than the Jets did.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

They are about to clear some crazy amount of dead money this year and will only have 7 million dead cap next year so they could cut him.

Let’s review:

Cut Cam and eat $20 mil of guaranteed $ to sign Bridgewater.

Cut Bridgewater and pay him $7 mil to play for the Broncos.

Pickup Darnold’s fifth year option before he played a down😂😂😂

You better believe they can cut him. They have scored exactly one TD in the last 34 possessions. A defensive player started his presser by stating he was only going to answer questions about the D(!?!) Rhule is losing that locker room if he trots “ Captain Interception “ out there even a few more times. And PJ Walker is NOT a QB. He is worse than Darnold which is the real reason Rhule kept him in there. The next time they bench Darnold is the last time they do it.

So, yes, they are done with Darnold  and he is done as a starter in this league. Maybe not this week but maybe so.

Isn’t the 5th year guaranteed at over 20 million??? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.