We miss John Brown

transplantbillsfan

Whatever it is, and whatever they say they connect in practice… Josh and Sanders just haven’t looked to be on the same page in games.

And that Sanders seems to have taken some of Diggs’ looks as well as Gabe Davis’s reps, I think his signing was subtraction by addition. This may be an unpopular opinion but it’s what I’ve felt looking at the games. We finally went to Diggs on one drive in the second half and that was the only time we moved the ball well. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

but it seems we're missing that WR that can really stretch the field.  And I understand that defenses are playing the Bills differently with the whole Cover 2 shell basically forcing us into a short passing game.  But without a true deep threat on the field at all times like Brown, that shell seems to get tighter and tighter.

So the Cover1 guys have a review of how the Jags (and Fins) played the Cover-2 Shell to take away the Bills go to 3 level patterns and 4 vertical patterns.  Not sure Smoke or any other deep threat opens that up.  Really need good Route runners who know where the windows and holes are in these mixed coverage schemes.  over the middle and the deep outs should be there as the deep safeties will struggle to get over.  Watch the video on post with Cover1 in title

I don't know what the answer is here because I'm not advocating bringing Smoke back even if he's available.  And maybe the answer isn't a speed WR it's just ANOTHER great weapon (although Brown wasn't a great weapon), which could be resolved once Knox is back and healthy--hopefully this week.

No we dont miss him. He was a non-factor most of last year, even when he was not injured

I believe Manny Sanders is a better WR than Brown and is an overall upgrade, but it seems we're missing that WR that can really stretch the field.  And I understand that defenses are playing the Bills differently with the whole Cover 2 shell basically forcing us into a short passing game.  But without a true deep threat on the field at all times like Brown, that shell seems to get tighter and tighter.  Against the Jags the only time we really got the ball down the field was when Allen stretched the play running for his life and found an open WR out of the original context of the play.  Within the structure of the plays, it was CONSTANT short passes to Singletary and Beas for trivial yardage.

I don't know what the answer is here because I'm not advocating bringing Smoke back even if he's available.  And maybe the answer isn't a speed WR it's just ANOTHER great weapon (although Brown wasn't a great weapon), which could be resolved once Knox is back and healthy--hopefully this week.

Maybe we should legitimately kick the tires on Beckam.  I think Allen would do a better job getting him the ball.

Maybe try McKenzie or Stevenson on the outside?

I just think in the last couple weeks it's becoming clear that outside of Diggs we really don't have any explosive capability on offense and Allen is understandably resorting to Hero ball because of it.  

Sanders and Diggs can really stretch the field.  John Brown wasn’t “smoke” anymore and that’s why he doesn’t have a team. I was a HUGE smoke fan, but his absence has nothing to do with our struggles 

I liked Brown as a Bill, but don't think that his absence hurts the team.  Our WRs are fine.  The problem is the OL.  Because of the instant and constant pressure, there isn't time for the downfield routes to develop, and with no threat of a run game, the safeties don't have to creep up into the box.

1 hour ago, transient said:

The abolitionist? Cuz you can’t possibly mean the washed up WR…

In either case, your truth is marching on.

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Of all the dumb threads this week 

we have a winner. 

what’s or who’s next Zay Jones????

Lamp Lightbulb GIF by ONE Condoms

You seem to be enjoying that a wee might vigorously...🤨

This is where they miss John Brown:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/smokey-and-mirrors-john-brown-scoops-screen-pass-from-turf-to-pay-dirt

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/john-brown-takes-the-screen-pass-21-yards-bills-vs-patriots

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/john-brown-moves-chains-with-electrifying-speed-on-third-and-long-screen-pass-bi

They got nobody out there that can do this........it's a very forgotten aspect of what he brought to the team.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.