Josh Allen Stats through 8 Games

Virgil

8 games in, the difference is our D has played way better, and instead of some stinkers and exciting close ones, we have 5 blow out wins and 3 really close (last drive of game in everyone) losses.

On O, we are much streakier this season, with way more bouts of just sucking.

Interesting stats OP.

• Like (+1) 1

YPA is down but I feel like that’s a symptom of scheme or how defenses are playing him.

Otherwise, yes, Josh Allen is having another great season. 

27 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Bring his attempts down.  Run the ball 15 to 20 time a game with someone other than Allen.    Bring some balance.  Get Allen under center more.  Use more jet motion.  Easy fixes.  

Problem is, if we run it 20 times we will net 18 yards. 

47 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  He had two crap games against the Chiefs and Titans after starting out red hot if I remember correctly.  The first Pats game wasn't his best performance either and was bailed out by Justin Zimmer.  That and without the pass interference on 4th down against the Rams we could've easily been 4-4 at this same point last year.

That first Pats game up here he only threw 24 times and there 30 mph + winds that day.  He was actually pretty good that day given the weather conditions.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Bring his attempts down.  Run the ball 15 to 20 time a game with someone other than Allen.    Bring some balance.  Get Allen under center more.  Use more jet motion.  Easy fixes.  

That, for sure, and added blockers for more protection from time to time! OL is the weak point, but the gameplan is not helping them at all.

OK those were bad times ha ha, but recall when sometimes only Watkins and one other WR ran routes while all blocked? As the opposing defenses can't know when it will happen, they can't just double or triple the receivers. Usually it's a bad idea to blitz Allen but more will do so against a weak OL that has barely blocking help and empty backfields.

As for Josh, it's like he has some bad plays and some great ones, but instead of being a good and bad game, it happens in the same game, and out of sequence too. I'm basically saying he doesn't seem to have the same groove, or consistant momentum,  but no, he has not "sucked" except maybe the 1st game, even so, it's compared to what is expected of him, not compared to a Losman or Edwards...

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Agree, the quality wins were there.

Only win of note he has was against KC but we know their defense is garbage and they in the essentially in the same boat as the Bills this year in terms or regression and being nothing more than a middle of the pack team.

Jets X2, Dolphins, Rams, Raiders, Pats.  It might be slightly better but not by much

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I found this really surprising.  They eyeball test made me think he wouldn't even be close to his stats last year and his swagger just isn't there.  Not sure the point, except for those who focus on numbers.

When you sign a mega deal after posting an MVP caliber season your bar has been set for the immediate future. Considering what he's dealing with as far as weak O line play, inconsistent running game and offensive play calling its pretty amazing he's maintaining above average numbers. 

Maintaining elite play at this level is very difficult. Especially when his performance depends upon others doing their part. Statistically, I think one would expect him to regress somewhat, not that anyone wants that to happen. Defenses have had a year to experiment, develop their teams and figure out what works best to slow Allen down. 

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I found this really surprising.  They eyeball test made me think he wouldn't even be close to his stats last year and his swagger just isn't there.  Not sure the point, except for those who focus on numbers.

Not too surprising when you figure last year the first half included the Tenn and KC games where Allen didn't play that well.  Plus in general the last half of the season was when Allen really was firing on all cylinders.  First half was good (minus Tenn and KC) second half he was great.

8 hours ago, colin said:

8 games in, the difference is our D has played way better, and instead of some stinkers and exciting close ones, we have 5 blow out wins and 3 really close (last drive of game in everyone) losses.

On O, we are much streakier this season, with way more bouts of just sucking.

Interesting stats OP.

Exactly we've lost three games by a total of 13 points, not shabby if we make a play in the RedZone in all three of those games we might have won. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen seems different since the bye week. Something mentally. His demeanor in the Miami game was different. Yelling and showing signs of frustration. Then one of his worst games vs a bad team.

Hopefully he bounces back, but something is off.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if his relationship with the offensive is breaking. He absolutely lost it on them in the Dolphins game and they’ve gotten progressively worse 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Allen seems different since the bye week. Something mentally. His demeanor in the Miami game was different. Yelling and showing signs of frustration. Then one of his worst games vs a bad team.

He's probably feeling the pressure of being in the MVP discussion and upset with hits and refs making bad calls etc. Yet can also admits his faults. He's a competitor, the players around him have to be better.

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's probably feeling the pressure of being in the MVP discussion and upset with hits and refs making bad calls etc. Yet can also admits his faults. He's a competitor, the players around him have to be better.

He's always been a competitor but never really snapped like he did vs Miami. Something is off. But I think we do better when people doubt us. We're hearing talk of NE winning the division now. Could be good for them.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's always been a competitor but never really snapped like he did vs Miami. Something is off. But I think we do better when people doubt us. We're hearing talk of NE winning the division now. Could be good for them.

Yea what's off is that Josh Allen has been the only one to show up week in and week out 

Our offensive line and play calling has 100% left him out to dry

It's the Josh Allen show or the bills have no chance.. I'd be pissed too

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would say last year was more impressive based off of the teams he faced. 

The teams that Allen beat last year at this point in the year weren’t that impressive either.  

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Correct..what’s “off” is an offensive line that has played horrible over the past two weeks.  When your OL get manhandled and you have zero running game to turn to, numbers really aren’t so great.

What has been missing for most games this season has been the big play.  But that’s based on the coverages that Josh is getting.  Teams have grown to respect him as a passer and so far this season, Tampa 2 has been an effective way to slow down big plays in Buffalo and KC.  

So I think the issue is the entire offense as well as Josh having to adjust to beating Cover 2 as well as compensating for an OL isn’t very good

This is fascinating to me.

I thought Allen would've had significantly better stats in 2020 than in 2021. 

With league average QB play last year we probably finish 8-8 or so. 

With league average QB play in 2021 we'd probably be 5-3, if not 6-2 so far. 

I guess that speaks more to the DEF than to Josh Allen, but it is interesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.