Even after Jacksonville Debacle, Bills STILL favorite to win the Super Bowl

Big Turk

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

The Bills have beat 1 team with a winning record.  i think i'd tap the brakes on the super bowl talk until they beat a quality opponent.  In fact, let's start with beating a bottom feeder and work out from there

Do you believe that the Buffalo Bills, as constituted today, are the best team in the NFL? 

There is no best team in the NFL in November that means anything.  Last November the Bucs lost 3 games & fell to 7-5 after 12 games.  The best team in the NFL is decided in January & February, not November.  Right now a team missing 2 of its starting O-linemen and their top TE (really the only real NFL TE on the roster) can't be evaluated until these 3 either return or don't.   Also don't be surprised if some guy comes in off the street & ends up getting significant time at RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MPL said:

oof, I was at this game. Roscoe Parish muffed a punt late in the 4th, allowing the Browns to kick the go-ahead field goal. We boo'd the offense every time they took field in the 2nd half. 

After the game, Trent Edwards was asked if he would have boo'd if he was a fan, to which he responded, "I don't know; I'm not a fan." 

Those were tough times. 

I was never so happy to have a game end without going into overtime as this game.  The weather was lousy & I had a 5 hour drive back home after the game.  I just wanted that game to end so I could go home & put the memory of attending the worst football game I was ever at behind me.  I remember after the game on the postgame show one of the main topics was: Are the Bills Cleveland's Bi##h?   

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Your entire premise revolves around your belief this oline is so bad and so soft that this team is incapable of winning a SB. Feel free to have that opinion. To me, your question is irrelevant because I happen to disagree with you. I think a realistic evaluation of the body of evidence with this team leans more in my favor than yours.

It is a long season. We will see.

lmao, you should watch the jags game.  

they were the worst front 4 in the league, and whooped these softies.   

i think one dude, doubled his career sack numbers vs these outclassed bums. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, this is kind of ridiculous. And the Titans should clearly be the favorite for homefield advantage. They have a huge lead, and their schedule is clearly easier.

With King Henry coming back for the playoffs. 

My worry for the Bills this year started with that game.  TN absolutely manhandled the Bills.  JA made it a good game, and nearly pulled it off, but the longer that game went, the more TN was going to win by.  I don't feel like the Bills have recovered from that yet, mentally. If they got to play the Dolphins every week, sure, they would win most of those games, but as it stands they have to play other teams as well, including some pretty good ones.  I watch a lot of TB games, that D is going to embarrass us unless we can come up with something more novel than throwing the ball 3 yards behind the LoS

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You. Missed. The. Point.

He basically said if the Bills were a real SB contender they wouldn't be 5-3. If that is true then TB wasn't a real SB contender at 7-5.

And there wasn't anyone thinking the Buccaneers were SB contenders at 7-5 and coming off 3 losses in four games - including an absolute beating and pathetic performance by the GOAT with 3 INTs and a 40 QB rating against the Saints...

It is a long season and you do not pre-judge the outcome by what happens in the 8th game of the season...

Hopefully Daboll can pull 5 olineman out of his butt. We're not winning any SB this year with these 5. Josh will continue to try and "leap tall buildings on a single bound" but he can't do it all.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...color me shocked...

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-betting-the-bills-are-the-super-bowl-favorite-at-the-halfway-point-of-the-2021-season-144427688.html

Buffalo is the clear favorite for the AFC despite a Week 9 loss to Jacksonville. Here's how all the betting odds have changed through 9 weeks.

Not sure why anyone would be shocked.  Upsets happen every week, lots of them happened this week and even the week before.  I mean the Bucs lost to the Saints with Trevor Simien playing most the game.  

Bills are clearly the best roster in the AFC...we are still the number #1 defense in the NFL and #4 scoring offense.  Doesn't mean its a cake walk to the SB, but we clearly are still rightfully the favorites, at least until we see how we rebound from the upset next week.  

This board is just utterly bipolar with wins and losses.  Bills could win 8 in a row then lose one.  After the one loss, the season would be declared all but over.  Its ridiculous.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Personally, I think it's really, really weird that the Bills are still the Super Bowl favorites. REALLY weird.

There are multiple teams with better records. There are even multiple teams with quarterbacks playing at a higher level (at least statistically) than Buffalo's.

I can see being in the top 5 in Super Bowl odds, but FIRST?! 

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

My worry for the Bills this year started with that game.  TN absolutely manhandled the Bills. 

To the tune of 28 - 16 1st downs (Bills), 417-362 Tot Yds (Bills), 33 min - 27 min Time of Possession (Bills), and the Bills falling one yard short of winning in a 34-31 loss on the road...

I don't think the word "manhandled" means what you think it means...

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

To the tune of 28 - 16 1st downs (Bills), 417-362 Tot Yds (Bills), 33 min - 27 min Time of Possession (Bills), and the Bills falling one yard short of winning in a 34-31 loss on the road...

I don't think the word "manhandled" means what you think it means...

Yeah, and JA was running for his life a lot of the game.  As the game went on, TN got stronger, the Bills got weaker.  JA can play superman but by himself can't win a 60 minute game.   TN had plenty of injuries in that game as well, so we can't use that as an excuse.  It's one thing to jump out to an early lead, but playoff teams aren't going to be so easy.

7 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Yeah, and JA was running for his life a lot of the game.  As the game went on, TN got stronger, the Bills got weaker.  JA can play superman but by himself can't win a 60 minute game.   TN had plenty of injuries in that game as well, so we can't use that as an excuse.  It's one thing to jump out to an early lead, but playoff teams aren't going to be so easy.

Its amazing how many of you possess extreme selective memory.  

Manhandled?  LMAO...we weren't manhandled by Tenn.  We dominated most the key metrics of that game.  The issue was once again self inflicted wounds that cost us that game.  Its that simple.  

The single biggest contributor for this team right now in all 3 losses is one thing and thing only.  Penalties.  Every time offense was gaining momentum in key moments of the Steelers game, Titans game, and now the Jags game we would have a really stupid penalty on the OL that would take us back.  Then the OL with down and long wouldn't hold up in protection.  

Take away both bad penalties and the absurdly terrible calls by refs in those 3 games, we are undefeated.  Our OL is struggling both in blocking and penalties and its killing our momentum constantly on offense.  But Allen is athletic enough to counter the blocking issues enough times to still put enough points up to win.  The penalties though, they are drive killers.  They are the primary cause of leaving points on the field and creating wayyyyyyy too many down and very long instances which is also contributing to the lack of run game involvement.  

So sorry, we were not manhandled by the Titans, we killed our selves, just like in the Steelers game and just like in the Jags game.  Clean that up, and we can handle the other obstacles a lot better.

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure why anyone would be shocked.  Upsets happen every week, lots of them happened this week and even the week before.  I mean the Bucs lost to the Saints with Trevor Simien playing most the game.  

Bills are clearly the best roster in the AFC...we are still the number #1 defense in the NFL and #4 scoring offense.  Doesn't mean its a cake walk to the SB, but we clearly are still rightfully the favorites, at least until we see how we rebound from the upset next week.  

This board is just utterly bipolar with wins and losses.  Bills could win 8 in a row then lose one.  After the one loss, the season would be declared all but over.  Its ridiculous.  

I challenge that assertion esp on the OL. We are a fantastic D but the O is mercurial/bipolar (take your pick). There is a consistent pattern in our losses in that the OL wasn't able to handle the pressure and couldn't establish a run game outside of Allen. Sure the OL was missing starters in the Jags game but most teams are missing starters. To say that "we would win the SB with all starters playing" is being utterly optimistic. Even with all the OL starters (not even sure who is labelled as a starter at which position outside of Morse and Dawkins.

I am NOT saying this team is bad. All I am saying is that O stats look good because of a few blowouts. You have to look at the ways we lost to truly consider the prospects of reaching (and winning) a SB. As of now, with most starters playing, Imo, we wont get past the AFCCG.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Take away both bad penalties and the absurdly terrible calls by refs in those 3 games, we are undefeated.  

I am also concerned about the clear penalties on our OL and ST. 

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its amazing how many of you possess extreme selective memory.  

Manhandled?  LMAO...we weren't manhandled by Tenn.  We dominated most the key metrics of that game.  The issue was once again self inflicted wounds that cost us that game.  Its that simple.  

The single biggest contributor for this team right now in all 3 losses is one thing and thing only.  Penalties.  Every time offense was gaining momentum in key moments of the Steelers game, Titans game, and now the Jags game we would have a really stupid penalty on the OL that would take us back.  Then the OL with down and long wouldn't hold up in protection.  

Take away both bad penalties and the absurdly terrible calls by refs in those 3 games, we are undefeated.  Our OL is struggling both in blocking and penalties and its killing our momentum constantly on offense.  But Allen is athletic enough to counter the blocking issues enough times to still put enough points up to win.  The penalties though, they are drive killers.  They are the primary cause of leaving points on the field and creating wayyyyyyy too many down and very long instances which is also contributing to the lack of run game involvement.  

So sorry, we were not manhandled by the Titans, we killed our selves, just like in the Steelers game and just like in the Jags game.  Clean that up, and we can handle the other obstacles a lot better.

"Take away the penalties" is doing some pretty heavy lifting for you.

The Bills OL had zero answer for the Stunt.  I don't care what the 'key metrics' say.  Games aren't won on a PFF scorecard.

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

your point is we can’t beat the jags but we are going to win a sb ? 

yikes 😩😩

fantasyland must be nice.   

No, you don't understand, our O & D Rankings and my mommy said we are the best team in teh league!

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Still an easy schedule.  Buffalo needs to figure it out.  Got half way to go yet still.  Rather have these issues before thanksgiving than after. 

How exactly is it an easy schedule? The Bills have 5 toss-up games remaining: IND, @NO, NE, @TB, @NE. Even ATL doesn't look like a gimme either. Yes, we should beat CAR and NYJ (twice), but who would be shocked if we split the other six? That's 11-6, nowhere near the record of a 1 seed or a Super Bowl favorite.

And you can't assume wins against NYJ or CAR. They're both better than the Jaguars.

The Bills are in trouble right now.

Not to be too pessimistic but now is the time to bet against that. Right now we look like the steelers last year with a worse defense(slightly) and a better QB (not at retirement age yet)

And we know how being one dimensional played out for them.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.