Has NFL "ownership" of gambling sites corrupted the league

Gisele

As sports gambling takes a hold with the proliferation of online sites and betting options,it's just a matter of time before the integrity of sports is severely compromised. Factor in the " new" taunting rule that has been emphasized this year that nobody quite seems to understand and the environment is ripe for corruption and surprises.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

Yes. That is the answer.  Bring in federal government to address poor officiating. WTF.  

This is not poor officiating. It is the blatant fixing of games. This is exactly why gambling was never allowed around pro sports... until now. (see Pete Rose)

Now we have let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

This is not poor officiating. It is the blatant fixing of games. This is exactly why gambling was never allowed around pro sports... until now. (see Pete Rose)

Now we have let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

Stop it. The games aren’t fixed. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gisele said:

League officials are changing the outcome of games.  Congress may need to look at this.  

While I don't think Congress should get involved it's getting hard to blame the bizarre officiating seen in almost EVERY NFL game as simple incompetence. 

It really seems like they pick a team to call a run of penalties on at key moments.  And since so many of the penalties are subjective (roughing the passer, taunting, pass interference) or happen on almost every play (illegal contact & holding) when they choose to throw the flag is key here.

Last night I saw one of the worst taunting penalties called on Chicago that I've seen this year. While this new penalty is bad enough they called it on guy for starring at the Pittsburgh bench from HALF A FIELD away. Whats next brain implants to catch players thinking bad thoughts about someone.

• Like (+1) 1

Organized crime or hell just greedy organizations of any kind, globally, have an awful lot of people to "influence" to push the desired outcome of these games.  "Hey, I see you've got three kids nearing college age...and boy, college is *so* expensive..." or "those gambling debts are piling up...shame you're behind on that mortgage because of them..."  Just friends helping friends you know.

If you were on the officiating crew or hell, the ENTIRE officiating crew, and you were smart, you could have a family member set up some shell corp or LLC and run your gambling for you, depositing the winnings into an account the NFL couldn't trace back to you.  The Corp./LLC does something legitimately, sells used tractor parts whatever, on Ebay, who cares.  Then, after your retirement, under IRS regulations, said family member simply "gifts" you money annually from said company or the company purchases real estate with it which they later transact to you for $1.  Of course it's *your* gambling money the whole time, but neatly laundered through various legitimate business opportunities.  

As a crew, I wouldn't fix the outcome of the games because that'd attract too much scrutiny, but I'd be interested in the prop bets and spreads. 

Edited by dpberr

Just now, dpberr said:

Organized crime or hell just greedy organizations of any kind, globally, have an awful lot of people to "influence" to push the desired outcome of these games.  "Hey, I see you've got three kids nearing college age...and boy, college is *so* expensive..." or "those gambling debts are piling up...shame you're behind on that mortgage because of them..."  Just friends helping friends you know.

If you were on the officiating crew or hell, the ENTIRE officiating crew, and you were smart, you could have a family member set up some shell corp or LLC and run your gambling for you, depositing the winnings into an account the NFL couldn't trace back to you.  The Corp./LLC does something legitimately, sells used tractor parts whatever, on Ebay, who cares.  Then, after your retirement, under IRS regulations, said family member simply "gifts" you money annually from said company or the company purchases real estate with it which they later transact to you for $1.  Of course it's *your* gambling money the whole time, but neatly laundered through various legitimate business opportunities.  

As a crew, I wouldn't fix the outcome of the games because that'd attract too much scrutiny, but I'd be interested in the prop bets and spreads. 

The tinfoil hat association approves of this post. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.