Cover 1 All-22 Film Room - Bills passing offense against the Jags

HappyDays

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is worth a full watch if you have 50 minutes to spare.

A few takeaways:

1) There are 3 or 4 times where Allen could hit Diggs with a quick throw but inexplicably moves onto the next read. Considering the chemistry they had last year this feels like an easy fix.

2) Beasley probably should not have played in this game. His injury held him back too much to be a consistent factor on the field.

3) Boettger and Ford were pushed into Allen's lap a bunch of times. We saw the return of some sloppy mechanics from Allen in this game, and much like the Steelers game I think it is because he was anticipating pressure from the interior. Allen still needs to be held accountable for those few mistakes when they happen. But when the offensive line gives him a pocket he is still the passer we saw last year.

4) The guards have gotten the lion's share of the blame in this game but Dawkins and Williams didn't fare much better. A lot of pressures were just one-on-one matchups where one of the o-lineman, take your pick, lost the battle in under 3 seconds. This was by far the biggest problem in the game IMO. Morse appears to be the only one that comes away mostly blameless.

5) Ford has rightly been called out for poor footwork and technique. We can now also call him out his poor football IQ. On several plays he blocked the wrong guy or didn't pick up a stunt he was responsible for. This led to several free rushers.

5) The video doesn't specifically mention this but Sweeney is a complete non-factor in the passing game. He is not athletic enough to block or run routes. On one play he is pushed so far out of his route by the LB that he eliminates a would-be open passing window to Diggs. He is a borderline TE3, personally I don't think he belongs on an NFL roster.

6) The final 3rd down where Williams is late off the snap is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. There is a full half second where it looks like someone pushed the pause button on him. Everyone else is moving and he just remains in his stance. This was the most critical 3rd down of the game and he totally blew it.

I haven’t watched this yet, but I saw in real time and then on replay Morse get blown up multiple times. I also noticed that all 3 interior linemen could not block a stunt, and that Williams was confused several times as to the number of the guy he was blocking. There was one play where three Bills were blocking 1 guy. 

these are all mental errors, and I don’t understand why they all occurred consistently throughout the entire game all across the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could well be

I say that because to me the buck stops with Daboll.

Dorsey should be carrying out the Daboll plan and Daboll should make sure that his plan is being carried out by Dorsey.

As far as your earlier question on what is a passing game coordinator, I always thought it was the old QB Coach, but I am not sure.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It pains me to appear to agree with you, but Sweeney over Hollister is in fact looking like an error in player personnel evaluation at this point.

Not a defense of Sweeney by any means, but I am not sure what in Hollister's 4 catches for 21 yards in Jag land this year says “oh, no - we should have kept him”.  I cant really blame them for keeping a guy who is developing and still has potential over they guy who has had plenty of chances and has clearly reached his level.  I think Beane Is open to criticism for not bringing in better competition when it would have mattered though.  

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is worth a full watch if you have 50 minutes to spare.

A few takeaways:

1) There are 3 or 4 times where Allen could hit Diggs with a quick throw but inexplicably moves onto the next read. Considering the chemistry they had last year this feels like an easy fix.

2) Beasley probably should not have played in this game. His injury held him back too much to be a consistent factor on the field.

3) Boettger and Ford were pushed into Allen's lap a bunch of times. We saw the return of some sloppy mechanics from Allen in this game, and much like the Steelers game I think it is because he was anticipating pressure from the interior. Allen still needs to be held accountable for those few mistakes when they happen. But when the offensive line gives him a pocket he is still the passer we saw last year.

4) The guards have gotten the lion's share of the blame in this game but Dawkins and Williams didn't fare much better. A lot of pressures were just one-on-one matchups where one of the o-linemen, take your pick, lost the battle in under 3 seconds. This was by far the biggest problem in the game IMO. Morse appears to be the only one that comes away mostly blameless.

5) Ford has rightly been called out for poor footwork and technique. We can now also call him out for his poor football IQ. On several plays he blocked the wrong guy or didn't pick up a stunt he was responsible for. This led to several free rushers.

6) The video doesn't specifically mention this but Sweeney is a complete non-factor in the passing game. He is not athletic enough to block or run routes. On one play he is pushed so far out of his route by the LB that he eliminates a would-be open passing window to Diggs. He is a borderline TE3, personally I don't think he belongs on an NFL roster.

7) The final 3rd down where Williams is late off the snap is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. There is a full half second where it looks like someone pushed the pause button on him. Everyone else is moving and he just remains in his stance. This was the most critical 3rd down of the game and he totally blew it.

7) See the last offensive play of the painful late season loss at NE in 2019.   Both tackles didn't come off the ball and two edge rushers had totally free runs at Allen.   Not sure if Allen maybe didn't clearly express the snap count in the heat of a big moment or what but both were huge,  end of game,  high leverage plays with the same result.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what happened to all the pre-snap motion fron last year. The pass rush is teeing off every game. Give them something to think about. The McKenzie jet sweeps were a staple of our offense the past two years. What happened to that?

Maybe the release of Andre roberts has effected us more than we think. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Cover 1 does a very good job of analyzing why our offense was held scoreless for almost 3 quarters.

The primary reason was the OL performance.  On too many plays they weren't able to handle the rush.  That rush was well designed: show 5-6 guys on the D line & then have one not rush while another rushed from the opposite side.  The OL also had problems with stunts & bull rushes up the middle.

When Josh had a clean pocket or was able to escape the pocket he was able to complete throws.  The problem with an offense that steadily moves down the field is that you need to be able to make plays consistently.  The Bills' OL wasn't able to do that

Once the defense gets into the QB's head bad things happen.  Even the GOAT Brady gets rattled if you get in his face.

We better prepare for what the Jags did on D because we'll be seeing a lot of it as the season progresses.

Oh well.  On to the Jets.  Let's hope this loss sobers up the offense

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

7) See the last offensive play of the painful late season loss at NE in 2019.   Both tackles didn't come off the ball and two edge rushers had totally free runs at Allen.   Not sure if Allen maybe didn't clearly express the snap count in the heat of a big moment or what but both were huge,  end of game,  high leverage plays with the same result.

My thought with the Williams play and with that play, was a communication issue.

FWIW, when asked if communication issues were a factor in the game, Morse said "no" - but then maybe that's his way of not pointing the finger at anyone but himself

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.