Cover 1 All-22 Film Room - Bills passing offense against the Jags

HappyDays

This is worth a full watch if you have 50 minutes to spare.

A few takeaways:

1) There are 3 or 4 times where Allen could hit Diggs with a quick throw but inexplicably moves onto the next read. Considering the chemistry they had last year this feels like an easy fix.

2) Beasley probably should not have played in this game. His injury held him back too much to be a consistent factor on the field.

3) Boettger and Ford were pushed into Allen's lap a bunch of times. We saw the return of some sloppy mechanics from Allen in this game, and much like the Steelers game I think it is because he was anticipating pressure from the interior. Allen still needs to be held accountable for those few mistakes when they happen. But when the offensive line gives him a pocket he is still the passer we saw last year.

4) The guards have gotten the lion's share of the blame in this game but Dawkins and Williams didn't fare much better. A lot of pressures were just one-on-one matchups where one of the o-linemen, take your pick, lost the battle in under 3 seconds. This was by far the biggest problem in the game IMO. Morse appears to be the only one that comes away mostly blameless.

5) Ford has rightly been called out for poor footwork and technique. We can now also call him out for his poor football IQ. On several plays he blocked the wrong guy or didn't pick up a stunt he was responsible for. This led to several free rushers.

6) The video doesn't specifically mention this but Sweeney is a complete non-factor in the passing game. He is not athletic enough to block or run routes. On one play he is pushed so far out of his route by the LB that he eliminates a would-be open passing window to Diggs. He is a borderline TE3, personally I don't think he belongs on an NFL roster.

7) The final 3rd down where Williams is late off the snap is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. There is a full half second where it looks like someone pushed the pause button on him. Everyone else is moving and he just remains in his stance. This was the most critical 3rd down of the game and he totally blew it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 9

9 hours ago, Lothar said:

Just didn't see any adjustments or motion to change the tempo either.

I don't know what happened to all the pre-snap motion fron last year. The pass rush is teeing off every game. Give them something to think about. The McKenzie jet sweeps were a staple of our offense the past two years. What happened to that?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what happened to all the pre-snap notion fron last year. The pass rush is teeing off every game. Give them something to think about. The McKenzie jet sweeps were a staple of our offense the past two years. What happened to that?

One factor I've been thinking about that I don't see mentioned is:

The Bills promoted Ken Dorsey to "Passing Game Coordinator" as well as "QB Coach".

It seems pretty clear to me that our passing game is not as well designed this year.

Correlation or causation?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills promoted Ken Dorsey to "Passing Game Coordinator" as well as "QB Coach".

It seems pretty clear to me that our passing game is not as well designed this year.

Great question that I haven't seen asked. We probably won't know until (if ever) we learn what "coordinator" means. I don't think he's calling the plays so does he build a plan for the week and Daboll picks plays from that strategy but at the same time that doesn't mean anything for the run game? Seems confusing.

18 minutes ago, Chief Loves Bills said:

Great question that I haven't seen asked. We probably won't know until (if ever) we learn what "coordinator" means. I don't think he's calling the plays so does he build a plan for the week and Daboll picks plays from that strategy but at the same time that doesn't mean anything for the run game? Seems confusing.

As an NFL outsider, I have no clue what the roles and responsibilities of a "passing game coordinator" and a "run game coordinator" vs an OC may be.  But if the concern is design of pass plays being less effective, it seems possible to me that a new "passing game coordinator" may play a role.  Or maybe not, maybe he was doing the same thing last season, and teams are just "on" to us now.

I will say, that the run and pass game and blocking need to all work together so that we don't "tell" the defense before the snap whether or not we're running, and I think we both have "tells" telegraphing run or pass to the defense AND the run/pass game somehow just don't work smoothly together (these may be related problems)

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Sweeney is a good guy though…. Gotta keep him. 

It pains me to appear to agree with you, but Sweeney over Hollister is in fact looking like an error in player personnel evaluation at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dont think the Dorsey promotion had any impact. 

I thought they gave Dorsey a "bigger title" to  demonstrate their appreciation for his work with Allen but in reality I dont think much has changed.  I dont recall anyone leaving so my guess his responsibilities didn't change this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know what happened to all the pre-snap notion fron last year. The pass rush is teeing off every game. Give them something to think about. The McKenzie jet sweeps were a staple of our offense the past two years. What happened to that?

My gut tells me they are trying to protect McKenzie from injury so that they won't be without a returner. 

But they need to get back to using him and all of the pre snap motion.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is worth a full watch if you have 50 minutes to spare.

A few takeaways:

1) There are 3 or 4 times where Allen could hit Diggs with a quick throw but inexplicably moves onto the next read. Considering the chemistry they had last year this feels like an easy fix.

2) Beasley probably should not have played in this game. His injury held him back too much to be a consistent factor on the field.

3) Boettger and Ford were pushed into Allen's lap a bunch of times. We saw the return of some sloppy mechanics from Allen in this game, and much like the Steelers game I think it is because he was anticipating pressure from the interior. Allen still needs to be held accountable for those few mistakes when they happen. But when the offensive line gives him a pocket he is still the passer we saw last year.

4) The guards have gotten the lion's share of the blame in this game but Dawkins and Williams didn't fare much better. A lot of pressures were just one-on-one matchups where one of the o-lineman, take your pick, lost the battle in under 3 seconds. This was by far the biggest problem in the game IMO. Morse appears to be the only one that comes away mostly blameless.

5) Ford has rightly been called out for poor footwork and technique. We can now also call him out his poor football IQ. On several plays he blocked the wrong guy or didn't pick up a stunt he was responsible for. This led to several free rushers.

5) The video doesn't specifically mention this but Sweeney is a complete non-factor in the passing game. He is not athletic enough to block or run routes. On one play he is pushed so far out of his route by the LB that he eliminates a would-be open passing window to Diggs. He is a borderline TE3, personally I don't think he belongs on an NFL roster.

6) The final 3rd down where Williams is late off the snap is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. There is a full half second where it looks like someone pushed the pause button on him. Everyone else is moving and he just remains in his stance. This was the most critical 3rd down of the game and he totally blew it.

Credit Allen for not throwing to Diggs Sunday.

• Haha (+1) 1

• HappyDays changed the title to Cover 1 All-22 Film Room - Bills passing offense against the Jags

The final 3rd down where Williams is late off the snap is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. There is a full half second where it looks like someone pushed the pause button on him. Everyone else is moving and he just remains in his stance. This was the most critical 3rd down of the game and he totally blew it.

I was screaming at the television! My wife thought I was nuts. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. It was like he was day-dreaming.  Hey Williams....where else would you rather be? 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sweeney is a good guy though…. Gotta keep him. 

Real lunch pail kinda guy.

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The McKenzie jet sweeps were a staple of our offense the past two years. What happened to that?

He's our returner now, so I'm sure the brain-trust don't want to tire him out.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Most likely correlation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.