McD’s words

Italian Bills

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

People calling for McDermott's head are the best.

I have a buddy calling for McD's head.  Says he is our "Tony Dungy" like the Bucs had... and won't win or compete for a Super Bowl until the Bills get their Gruden type guy... whatever that means.  So yeah, there are people tiring of McDermott.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm sure you have seen good RBs get yards behind average to below average lines.

That's what you're seeing in Buffalo right now. Singletary's averaging 4.9 YPC, and while Moss is lower, he's still making yards. Yes, they're not breakaway threats. But both are solid guys.

And Beane certainly did upgrade the roster since losing to the Chiefs. Rousseau, Emanuel Sanders and Brown, for three, say hello. He didn't upgrade them in every area, which in our cap situation was just simply the way it had to be.

I think we're are missing those 20 -25 yard plays because of their lack of speed.  I understand and agree our line is average,  but because teams are playing the pass there are plays to be made.  So even when a hole is open neither guy is able to make the big play.  I think Williams who ran a 4.4 -4.5 forty has more burst and more capable of big plays.  Once you have a few big plays then teams are going to bring LB's closer to the line,  right now teams are not worried about giving up big plays because they know both backs are slow

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think we're are missing those 20 -25 yard plays because of their lack of speed.  I understand and agree our line is average,  but because teams are playing the pass there are plays to be made.  So even when a hole is open neither guy is able to make the big play.  I think Williams who ran a 4.4 -4.5 forty has more burst and more capable of big plays.  Once you have a few big plays then teams are going to bring LB's closer to the line,  right now teams are not worried about giving up big plays because they know both backs are slow

I disagree the line is average. With the current injuries and guys playing out of position, it's far below that. With everyone healthy and in position they're a good line at pass pro and average to below average at run blocking, possibly because they spend so little time on it.

As for 20 - 25 yard run plays being missing, they're not. Singletary has a 46 yarder (MIA) and a 25 yarder (PIT).

Could there be more if they were better backs? Yeah, sure. I'm not arguing that they are constant breakaway threats or great backs. But they're solid. And I disagree about your "holes" diagnosis. When there are holes these guys get yards. Too often there aren't holes. It's been said ad infinitum, but for good reason, they have fewer yards before contact than just about anyone around and that's mostly bad blocking.

They're not slow. They're just not real fast. And plenty of guys without breakaway speed are NFL starters and good players for years.

Would it be good to get an upgrade? Sure! Is that position the highest priority to upgrade, or even in the top three? I sure don't think so. Give me a guard or two, a CB or two, a second TE and maybe another interior DL, or a top-class pass rushing DE.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The real question here is "Why did the Jags want it more ??" and "Why were they more ready to play ???"

Isn't it McD's job to make sure the Bills want it more and have the Bills more ready to play ???

It's his responsibility, but it's not solely in his power. 

More, there's never in history been a coach who didn't have their team come out flat sometimes. It happens. Even to Lombardi. Even to Belichick. What separates the great coaches in this area is that it happens less often for greats than most others. 

And McDermott teams have had bad games sometimes, but flat games very rarely.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's his responsibility, but it's not solely in his power. 

More, there's never in history been a coach who didn't have their team come out flat sometimes. It happens. Even to Lombardi. Even to Belichick. What separates the great coaches in this area is that it happens less often for greats than most others. 

And McDermott teams have had bad games sometimes, but flat games very rarely.

I would just also add, and how the team responds the following week(s). 

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.

On the one hand, there's only so much motivating of a bunch of highly-paid professional athletes a coach can do.  I think it's kind of like parenting a stubborn teenager in a way.

McDermott can say "everything is earned, nothing is given".  He can tell them "if you go in there expecting to win in the NFL, you're gonna get your ass whipped".

But eventually, they're going to be like "yeah, yeah" and need to actually suffer going in there expecting to win and getting their ass whipped in order to take him seriously.

The coaches do need to look at whether some of their actions in how they prepare and their attention to detail that week are "tells" to the players that the coaches aren't too worried about the game and they can slack off.  IMO.

Since Sunday I have been trying to find the words about this game and you did it very well.  I think humble and hungry has run its course.  It's a phrase that is useful for an up and coming team but now the Bills are the lead dogs. 

There was a quote a couple of weeks ago that was telling to me that I can't find.  It was along the lines of we know we are good and the other teams know we are good.  Maybe Poyer said it? That is an okay mindset as long as you don't rest on the belief that you are good and forget the work that made you good. 

I think it was easy to see Jacksonville defense was playing with more urgency than the Bills offense.  Josh looked strangely aloof as he continuously just went back and plopped on the same seat at the end of the bench.  Jax Josh Allen looked like he was competing to be the top Josh Allen (pointing at the name on his jersey after the int) and played with his hair on fire the whole game. I think the oline got their lunch handed to them.  I also think the entire offense thought they would just turn it on and be fine as they have done in several games this year (just last week against Miami).

I also think these quotes from McD are saying exactly that.  The pitt game and this game were both games where it looked like Buffalo thought they were going to win just by showing up.  He isn't going to throw anyone under the bus and say they weren't trying very hard directly but that is my takeaway from these quotes.

It can be a learning experience and hopefully a focused offense shows up next week against the Jets that Josh has typically struggled against.  Hopefully this is a painful lesson like Arizona last year where the team can be better for it.  Hopefully.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

Since Sunday I have been trying to find the words about this game and you did it very well.  I think humble and hungry has run its course.  It's a phrase that is useful for an up and coming team but now the Bills are the lead dogs. 

There was a quote a couple of weeks ago that was telling to me that I can't find.  It was along the lines of we know we are good and the other teams know we are good.  Maybe Poyer said it? That is an okay mindset as long as you don't rest on the belief that you are good and forget the work that made you good. 

I think it was easy to see Jacksonville defense was playing with more urgency than the Bills offense.  Josh looked strangely aloof as he continuously just went back and plopped on the same seat at the end of the bench.  Jax Josh Allen looked like he was competing to be the top Josh Allen (pointing at the name on his jersey after the int) and played with his hair on fire the whole game. I think the oline got their lunch handed to them.  I also think the entire offense thought they would just turn it on and be fine as they have done in several games this year (just last week against Miami).

I also think these quotes from McD are saying exactly that.  The pitt game and this game were both games where it looked like Buffalo thought they were going to win just by showing up.  He isn't going to throw anyone under the bus and say they weren't trying very hard directly but that is my takeaway from these quotes.

It can be a learning experience and hopefully a focused offense shows up next week against the Jets that Josh has typically struggled against.  Hopefully this is a painful lesson like Arizona last year where the team can be better for it.  Hopefully.

Per the bold, I think I could make an argument about how that phrase applies even more to a top dog team. A lot of what you describe in the rest of your post applies to a team that wasn’t humble and wasn’t hungry last Sunday. If anything, perhaps McD should reinforce the hungry and humble lesson. 

• Like (+1) 3

I could argue that was a fluke,  dude with LB'S in retreat both backs should have many runs in the 20 plus range. Even when they get past the first wave when there is a hole open there is no burst into the second level. What harm would it be giving the Williams kid a opportunity? Cannot be any worse,  doing the same thing for the past two years with both Moss & Singletary.  In fact I think Singletary bulking up during the offseason  has less juke then last season

Right now we don't have time to remake our line,  you give Williams a opportunity against a team likre the Jets maybe you find an answer

34 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold, I think I could make an argument about how that phrase applies even more to a top dog team. A lot of what you describe in the rest of your post applies to a team that wasn’t humble and wasn’t hungry last Sunday. If anything, perhaps McD should reinforce the hungry and humble lesson. 

That's actually a very good point and I can't disagree.  

What I was trying to say was that phrase is falling on deaf ears.  It is time to mix up the message as it has lost it's effect on the team.  Now instead of it meaning something, it is just something they say but don't believe.

However your points stands and not being humble and hungry is exactly what bothered me about that game.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, zow2 said:

I have a buddy calling for McD's head.  Says he is our "Tony Dungy" like the Bucs had... and won't win or compete for a Super Bowl until the Bills get their Gruden type guy... whatever that means.  So yeah, there are people tiring of McDermott.

Be careful what you wish for

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.