TE Darren Fells headed to waivers (update: unclaimed, signed to Bucs PS)

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

When was the last time the Bills actually signed one of these released players for whom the fans were clamoring?

When they had waiver priority they snapped up Jordan Phillips and Terrell Pryor.     Once they lost waiver priority their roster was also improving so the combination of those factors has reduced the incidence of high profile waiver wire pickups.   

I will add that they added Kenny Stills and Devonta Freeman to the PS heading into the playoffs last year............and Stills in particular was a very coveted player by Bills fans after his release during the season.    They probably should have elevated him to the roster for the AFCCG considering how banged up they were at WR that day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills can't block.  Fells can.  Sweeney isn't answer.  Bills suck in redzone.  Fells is red zone target.  Knox will play with broken hand.  We need TE.  Our running game and offense didnt work last week.  Hmm- how about some two tight end plays?  That might help run game, calm Josh, smash cover 2 

Fells highlights 2020

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

He will take the minimum and assume want to go to a good situation. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding something any team could have had him for less than the vet minimum by claiming him on waivers. But maybe if you sign a player halfway through the season the vet minimum drops by 50%?

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something any team could have had him for less than the vet minimum by claiming him on waivers. But maybe if you sign a player halfway through the season the vet minimum drops by 50%?

He hasn't had a good season so I guess it's not out of the question that nobody wanted him.........but my assumption is that his agent informed teams he would not be reporting if claimed.    

Everyone prefers to be a free agent.  

Also,  if he goes unclaimed he can retire.....he's 35 years old after all..........and still get paid the rest of the money that was due to him.    

• Agree 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to TE Darren Fells headed to waivers (update: unclaimed, signed to Bucs PS)
Just now, YoloinOhio said:

How is it that a team with an embarrassment of riches at the TE position signs this guy, but not the Bills? I would describe the Bills strength at TE more of an embarrassment than anything, and players like Fells don't become available all that often. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

How is it that a team with an embarrassment of riches at the TE position signs this guy, but not the Bills? I would describe the Bills strength at TE more of an embarrassment than anything, and players like Fells don't become available all that often. 

Fells was just released and all 32 teams passed on him through waivers.  I think some people are confusing Fells with Kelce.

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Fells was just released and all 32 teams passed on him through waivers.  I think some people are confusing Fells with Kelce.

Nobody's confusing Fells with Kelce. The reasoning for the Bills to sign him is because he's a 6' 8", 287# TE that blocks better than any TE we have and is more productive catching the ball than any of the TE's other than Knox.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Because we have Sweeney.  Isn’t that enough?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.