TE Darren Fells headed to waivers (update: unclaimed, signed to Bucs PS)

YoloinOhio

Just now, NewEra said:

Would be nice but I don’t think he’ll fall to us.  Clearly better than Sweeney at the moment.  

What I don't understand is how Fells ended up on a Jacob Hollister contract with Detroit.

As TE hungry as the league is I was surprised HOLLISTER didn't get more interest............and Fells was clearly better than Hollister.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What I don't understand is how Fells ended up on a Jacob Hollister contract with Detroit.

As TE hungry as the league is I was surprised HOLLISTER didn't get more interest............and Fells was clearly better than Hollister.

Baffling that we didn’t make a run at him tbh.  Even Lee Smith was good for us last season, then we trade him.  We could use him on this team imo.  Smith stunk in 2019, but had his best year in 2020 imo.  I was initially happy to have traded him, but seeing as we did nothing to upgrade our TE room, only make it worse, I wish we had kept him. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Baffling that we didn’t make a run at him tbh.  Even Lee Smith was good for us last season, then we trade him.  We could use him on this team imo.  Smith stunk in 2019, but had his best year in 2020 imo.  I was initially happy to have traded him, but seeing as we did nothing to upgrade our TE room, only make it worse, I wish we had kept him. 

I felt the same way about Smith.    On one hand he was a dead man in the pass game and drew bad penalties........but getting rid of him and going without a blocking TE was a gamble.    I know it's en vogue to point to our "lousy" RB's for the problems with the run game but this was a "run and play defense" team that reached the playoffs in 2019.    Singletary averaged over 5 yards per carry for the season.    The Bills RB's are ordinary but that's not why they can't run the football.    They are getting smacked around at the LOS.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a great blocker and decent TE2…. I know Knox is likely returning this week but with our run blocking issues I would not hesitate to claim him and play over Sweeney when he’s back. Also would provide a vet in the TE room

Only due $537k if claimed.

It's a good option but Beane knows this team is solid as is with plenty of depth,  no trades and no free agents signings.  WE'RE the best team in football 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think Lee was looking to retire after this year and Became did him a favor to finish it out his career down south.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Lee was looking to retire after this year and Became did him a favor to finish it out his career down south.

This is correct. (I think)

Because...

Lee is from and still lives in Knoxville, TN. Even when he was playing in Buffalo, they still had a house in Knoxville (I think the family split time between living in Knox and Buff)

I think he was ready to retire and ask for the favor. (Probably to either the Titans or ATL) Both are about the same driving distance and obviously he would have the money to fly or charter some type of private flight. I would also guess he would have connections to some high rollers in the Knoxville area that have access to a private jet, etc... So I agree I think this is what happened. 

With all that being said, I wish Lee was still on the team. It might have helped with the blocking issues. Heck, put him in at guard over Cody Ford (I'm not being serious on that, but then again how much worse could he be 🤔 )

There is not one iota of consistency in refereeing in the NFL! It’s getting to be a crisis in my opinion

3 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

There is not one iota of consistency in refereeing in the NFL! It’s getting to be a crisis in my opinion

Whoops. I actually thought I was on the Monday night football thread. My bad. But it’s true!

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a great blocker and decent TE2…. I know Knox is likely returning this week but with our run blocking issues I would not hesitate to claim him and play over Sweeney when he’s back. Also would provide a vet in the TE room

Only due $537k if claimed.

What was stopping Brandon from talking to the Lions about a 7th for him? Oh yeh polishing his GM of the year trophy and pretending to outsmart the league 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.