We have a terrific field goal kicker we hate to use

PromoTheRobot

The Bills have one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL right now. But we play the game like we don't want to use him.

We were in FG range several times yesterday but instead of settling for three, we decided to play right into the Jags gameplan.

Hubris kills, and the Bills sometimes believe their own hype a little too much. It's great to have a killer instinct but it's better to realize when things aren't working to just get some points. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed.

Not only that, MDermott declined a penalty that would have taken J'ville out of FG range....especially with our pass defense being the strong suit of this team. Terrible decision.

McDermott needs to wake the hell up regarding FG range. Pretty soon he'll be punting on the 31.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

lol, i was about to disagree, but you are totally right, we really do.

we got that 2 pt conversion vs tenn, so at the end we were down by 3, and we went for it instead of kicking.  i understand some people feel like we should have gone for it and all that, but you set yourself up to be down by the kick, and didn't do it.

and ya, today they did the same.  in a sense, going with some of the plays that put the ball at risk down in the jags end, even while our o had been awful, also showed that.  some conservative down and distance turtle play woulda set us up for like 3 more fg attempts, walking away w a 6 point win!  lol.

i kinda wonder if mccoach understands how to not be conservative without being just balls out aggressive.  like, he was way too conservative at times before, and now he seems like he might just bench our punter and kicker!

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Bills have one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL right now. But we play the game like we don't want to use him.

We were in FG range several times yesterday but instead of settling for three, we decided to play right into the Jags gameplan.

Hubris kills, and the Bills sometimes believe their own hype a little too much. It's great to have a killer instinct but it's better to realize when things aren't working to just get some points. 

How by letting our QB throw the ball on third down?  What do you want them to do get in FG range and take a knee the rest of the plays?

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Not only that, MDermott declined a penalty that would have taken J'ville out of FG range....especially with our pass defense being the strong suit of this team. Terrible decision.

Was trying to wrap my head around handing them a 55 yd FG try when they did that.  Bad coaching for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Agreed.

McDermott needs to wake the hell up regarding FG range. Pretty soon he'll be punting on the 31.

The D allowed a total of 218 yards of offense and only 5.3 fantasy points to Lawrence. If there was any D in the NFL that deserves a shot at preventing a FG on 3rd and 15 it's this one.

McDermott coached like he didn't believe the Jags could beat them and that arrogance seemed to trickle down to his team.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

The Jags had made exactly zero FGs on American soil until yesterday.  I don't blame McD for thinking 55 was out of their range and that they would probably punt, and that the odds of that happening were higher than the odds of the refs making up a stupid penalty to put the Jags closer on the next play.  Well, they didn't punt, and the kid nailed it.  Tip your cap.  It basically won them the game.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So, give up trying to win the game? I don't follow.

They were in FG range 2 times and Josh fumbled the ball on one, when Singletary would have picked up the first down. The other one Josh threw an interception on a short pass toe Beasely. On 2nd down in FG range they did run Moss, for no gain.

Sounds like what you really want is for Josh to do a better job protecting the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

How by letting our QB throw the ball on third down?  What do you want them to do get in FG range and take a knee the rest of the plays?

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Agreed.

McDermott made the right choice with how flags were getting thrown around. Back them up they throw get a flag and it's first down for them.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

The Jags had made exactly zero FGs on American soil until yesterday.  I don't blame McD for thinking 55 was out of their range and that they would probably punt, and that the odds of that happening were higher than the odds of the refs making up a stupid penalty to put the Jags closer on the next play.  Well, they didn't punt, and the kid nailed it.  Tip your cap.  It basically won them the game.

Yeah I was wondering also whether McD didn’t want to risk letting the refs give them a first down with a penalty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well yes. Not the entire game. But say late in the third when it's obvious you aren't making headway against the Jags defense. Swallow your pride and take the three. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I was not surprised, but wondered why they wouldn’t let Bass take the shot when they went for it on 4th and a mile on the last snap.  The team had sucked all day, no reason to believe they would convert that.  I get that it would have been or been close to a record long FG, but at that point, why not give the kid a shot, he put one in last week that would have been good from that distance, why not?

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TBBills said:

McDermott made the right choice with how flags were getting thrown around. Back them up they throw get a flag and it's first down for them.

So what if they get a first down? My bet is the Bills still would have held them from scoring a TD if they did and there were no indications that the Jaguars could have picked those yards up other than a fluke play or penalty.

The Bills defense was dominant yesterday and McDermott failed to take advantage of that in that particular situation.

Edited by Beast
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

So what if they get a first down? My bet is the Bills still would have held them from scoring a TD if they did and there were no indications that the Jaguars could have picked those yards up other than a fluke play or penalty.

Your bets... 

33 minutes ago, colin said:

lol, i was about to disagree, but you are totally right, we really do.

we got that 2 pt conversion vs tenn, so at the end we were down by 3, and we went for it instead of kicking.  i understand some people feel like we should have gone for it and all that, but you set yourself up to be down by the kick, and didn't do it.

and ya, today they did the same.  in a sense, going with some of the plays that put the ball at risk down in the jags end, even while our o had been awful, also showed that.  some conservative down and distance turtle play woulda set us up for like 3 more fg attempts, walking away w a 6 point win!  lol.

i kinda wonder if mccoach understands how to not be conservative without being just balls out aggressive.  like, he was way too conservative at times before, and now he seems like he might just bench our punter and kicker!

What was the play call, apparently you must know.  Maybe it was supposed to be a short throw, but that's again where Allen often decides to go for the kill and throw it long like in the Tenn game think it was on back to back plays.  Maybe it was even a run play, but JA checked out of it.

As far as the end of the Tenn game, sure they'd have made the kick, but IMO you were deciding between going for it on 4th and less than 1 and making that or a coin flip as the way Tenn was moving the ball if they won the flip in OT, high likelihood they go down the field and score a TD

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What was the play call, apparently you must know.  Maybe it was supposed to be a short throw, but that's again where Allen often decides to go for the kill and throw it long like in the Tenn game think it was on back to back plays.  Maybe it was even a run play, but JA checked out of it.

As far as the end of the Tenn game, sure they'd have made the kick, but IMO you were deciding between going for it on 4th and less than 1 and making that or a coin flip as the way Tenn was moving the ball if they won the flip in OT, high likelihood they go down the field and score a TD

apparently i must know?  so a fan needs omniscience in order to criticize the coaching for a team w the number one scoring O and D who just lost to the actual worst team in the league?  give your head a shake!

the point is this was a great opportunity for some HC conservatism, to take the rope away from the OC (who was awful) and go real conservative and kick some 3s and walk away a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well yes. Not the entire game. But say late in the third when it's obvious you aren't making headway against the Jags defense. Swallow your pride and take the three. 

When did McD not swallow his pride and take the three?

I dont mind they hate to use him.   The Bills arent playing this year to beat the Jaguars, they arent playing this year to  sneak into the playoffs.   Great teams score touchdowns.  I am not going to sit here and worry about the lack of Field Goals.    The Bills  shouldnt want to kick field goals, its a waste of long term time.   Figure out how to score touchdowns.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.