O-line shuffle idea

Ethan in Cleveland

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

re Williams, did you see the last 3rd down where Williams allowed the sack? Someone posted the video in another thread here. He stood there for like 2 seconds while his man went by him. And that was the game!! It knocked us out of FG range. 

Meanwhile, the Jags RT was moving 2 seconds before the snap. Quite a difference!

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Dawkins has never played guard in the NFL.  I don’t see this happening

Actually he filled in some for Incognito as a rookie and looked GREAT at guard.

I don't think he'd look good anywhere this season though......clearly diminished by the illness.

Just now, Process said:

There's no hope for the o line this season. 

We will need 3 new starters next year. Ideally 4 because Dawkins is awful, but realistically with the contract we gave him he's not going anywhere.

I don't think you can replace more than 2 and not lose ground because of continuity.

6 minutes ago, Process said:

There's no hope for the o line this season. 

We will need 3 new starters next year. Ideally 4 because Dawkins is awful, but realistically with the contract we gave him he's not going anywhere.

Maybe 4....?....Spencer might be the survivor. The Chargers revamped their entire OL in 1 offseason. Why can't we?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'd advocate trying the following O-line for a few series at least and see what happens.

LT - Brown

LG - Dawkins

C - Morse

RG - Boettger

RT - Williams

There is no PS player that is going to save this situation.  What do you all think of this idea.  Williams is a much better RT than a guard.   Brown looks capable of playing OT in the NFL.  Dawkins is good but not elite at LT.  The current guards are turnstiles and can't move or block anyone.  Morse is what he is.  He's solidly above average pass blocker and poor run blocker.  Ford is just a massive bust.  Bates is a tease.  He is probably not capable of playing any position for any length of time but he is a good game-day injury option that can back-up all five spots.  

I agree with this, Dawkins was never a LT. He gets totally undressed by speed rushers or high end DE’s. He was a LG, he is a LG, and he needs to be a LG. Morse is an average to below average center he gets Zero push on the LOS. Honestly this entire O-Line is epically bad and will ultimately be the reason that we are 1 and done in the playoffs.

Top available 2021 NFL free-agent offensive line players

1) Russell Okung, Carolina Panthers
2) Mitchell Schwartz, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Kelechi Osemele, Kansas City Chiefs

All three of these offensive linemen could yet be contributors in the remaining weeks of the season. If the Chiefs suffer an injury at either tackle position, Schwartz could be an option as he knows the scheme and would be comfortable on the line. Okung is an intriguing one because he is talented enough to be a left tackle in the league. It will be interesting to see if he gets a call down the stretch if we see any big injuries at the tackle position.

I really hope Tommy Doyle develops and becomes a solid starter. Would like to see him at Guard. Even though he is 6’8 I think he could play some Guard. Hope they try it out next Year preseason…. We know Spencer Brown is a stud hope Tommy Doyle is also. 

Williams got paid and shut it down. He’s been really mediocre this year. Mongo was never all that great, but I wouldn’t mind letting Morse go this off-season and having Mongo or Bates take over at center. Mongo has actually looked decent at center. Use the money from Morse to bring in a guard who is worth a damn. Then draft at least 2 OL. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes I did.  

There was another play the DE was in a wide 9 and Williams off the ball went right inside and blocked no one.  The DE was in Allen's face immediately.  

Not just getting bear physically but making mental mistakes all over the place.   

That could be on Allen too.  It's not uncommon that the QB is responsible for a wide pass rusher.  If the line is supposed to block one way then the QB needs to recognize that and either shift the line or know he has a free rusher.  It happens all the time in games.  Not saying that is what happened but it might explain the reason there was a free rusher.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Mental mistake is also an issue with the virus. My boss caught it. He said after cleared he still was in a fog for 6 months or so. It was confusing to him. 

I think he should be sat down but I don’t think his drop off in play this year is because he got paid. 

I got Covid a month ago. Yes, I was vaxxed with very easy symptoms to deal with.

No, I’m still not right. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.