We are at the point of the season where this regime needs to send a message to the lockerroom

FilthyBeast

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is the one to go.  There was a thread before the season started and it was something like who was going to hold us back or who shoudl be held responsbile iof they don't win the SB. My answer has been and always will be McD.  There are just way too many games his team plays down to the competition and one side of the ball or the other is historically awful.  It goes back to his defense giving up 298 yards rushing to the Saints and continues to today when the offense with a MVP candidate QB can't score 9 points.  

But there will be no accountability.  I'm telling you this guy is not the guy.  He is a good enough but not great enough coach to get it done. 

Oh god. I couldn’t imagine being this wrong about something, and then putting these thoughts on the internet for other people to see

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

One thing we've heard preached over and over with this HC/GM is 'culture'. It's why they made an ill advised decision to 'run it back' in the offseason bringing back pretty much the same team that was smashed by the Chiefs in the championship game instead of letting certain players walk/get released and replace them with other options. It's also why many buffalo media speculated that that Beane didn't want to make any trades of note last week brining in players from outside the organization because of the apparently lockeroom lovefest with this team.

But this may be the issue and based on some of the postgame comments from the Jaguars that they noticed the Bills sideline didn't seem to care or have much interest in the game. Obviously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this based on the sheer amount of penalties and you have to wonder if this team had any real practice last week or was just busy taking selfies and playing on instagram on their phones.

It's one thing for a team to be complacent if they are coming off a championship season, but this team has done nothing of note other than win a division title once in 25 years. They aren't the Chiefs, Brady Pats teams or anything close the 90 Bills despite claims otherwise.

Therefore if I'm Beane/McDermott I release someone (obvious candidate is Cody Ford) and send a message that the results on the field aren't nearly good enough and expected by this team if they truly aspire for greatness. The time for accountability is now before things spiral out of control quickly. They may anyway given the lack of talent in key areas of this roster, but at least you try to right the ship by making a bold move or two.

Can they release Daboll and Ford? 

4 hours ago, Greatdane21 said:

Our running backs are absolutely too slow to run anywhere but between the tackles. 
Bredia was brought in for that but never even dresses .

if you don’t get a thumper back there you’d better have speed it takes our guys forever to get to the line .

I found Taiwan Jones to be especially below average today on STs (penalties included), which is especially frustrating when our most all-around effective RB leaves the game and we're suddenly left with just Singletary at the position. McD MUST reevaluate his gameday roster management, given the lack of positionally-valid TEs and RBs compared to other teams. 

No opponent respects the Buffalo offense as a multi-faceted attack. The league has caught up to our formations and tendencies. The O-LINE NEEDS HELP OUT THERE! You can't be so predictable based on formation + down-and-distance when your offensive linemen are physically overmatched. Those players need the play calls and sequencing to help them at least have a fighting chance against their individual opponents. 

Now we're even being blitzed again. So the Bills are currently incapable of successfully attacking ANY of the schemes they're facing. This suggests a fundamental regression.

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

True... Just listened to Josh's post game interview. He's sounds like he's sick: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-and-tremaine-edmunds-they-wanted-it-more

Wonder if he is gonna show up on Covid list this week he clearly looked like someone not feeling good but maybe that’s from getting blasted all day long.

I think the tenor of this OP is an overreaction, but it's conclusion - they should cut bait with Cody Ford - is one I am afraid I have come to agree with. I think at the point when he is your 4th choice guard and you still have no confidence in him to do that job better than guys on the street or on PS you have to just accept the sunk cost. I don't think he will be on this team next year so his cheap salary etc is really neither here nor there. I'd seriously consider moving him on now. Maybe a fresh start will be good for the player too. 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

No opponent respects the Buffalo offense as a multi-faceted attack. The league has caught up to our formations and tendencies. The O-LINE NEEDS HELP OUT THERE! You can't be so predictable based on formation + down-and-distance when your offensive linemen are physically overmatched. Those players need the play calls and sequencing to help them at least have a fighting chance against their individual opponents. 

Which playcalls don't require blocking? I don't know if we have any of those. When the oline gets beat as bad as it did yesterday and on the opening day against the Steelers there are very few playcalling counters that can cover that up. Eventually someone has to hold a block and if they can't your offense looks like that did yesterday. An ugly mess. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is the one to go.  There was a thread before the season started and it was something like who was going to hold us back or who shoudl be held responsbile iof they don't win the SB. My answer has been and always will be McD.  There are just way too many games his team plays down to the competition and one side of the ball or the other is historically awful.  It goes back to his defense giving up 298 yards rushing to the Saints and continues to today when the offense with a MVP candidate QB can't score 9 points.  

But there will be no accountability.  I'm telling you this guy is not the guy.  He is a good enough but not great enough coach to get it done. 

he’s the one that put together this 💩 OL ?   Or was that the wizard Brandon Beane ? 

12 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

One thing we've heard preached over and over with this HC/GM is 'culture'. It's why they made an ill advised decision to 'run it back' in the offseason bringing back pretty much the same team that was smashed by the Chiefs in the championship game instead of letting certain players walk/get released and replace them with other options. It's also why many buffalo media speculated that that Beane didn't want to make any trades of note last week brining in players from outside the organization because of the apparently lockeroom lovefest with this team.

But this may be the issue and based on some of the postgame comments from the Jaguars that they noticed the Bills sideline didn't seem to care or have much interest in the game. Obviously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this based on the sheer amount of penalties and you have to wonder if this team had any real practice last week or was just busy taking selfies and playing on instagram on their phones.

It's one thing for a team to be complacent if they are coming off a championship season, but this team has done nothing of note other than win a division title once in 25 years. They aren't the Chiefs, Brady Pats teams or anything close the 90 Bills despite claims otherwise.

Therefore if I'm Beane/McDermott I release someone (obvious candidate is Cody Ford) and send a message that the results on the field aren't nearly good enough and expected by this team if they truly aspire for greatness. The time for accountability is now before things spiral out of control quickly. They may anyway given the lack of talent in key areas of this roster, but at least you try to right the ship by making a bold move or two.

12 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Ok, i totally agree with the attitude this team is laking of since few weeks. 
Don’t know if the worst part is the lack of effort, the coaching or the quality of the players.. i really don’t … 

Im sure about the fact that right now the idenitity of the team is not at the contender level. 

McD: are you coaching or just watching games from sideline ? 
Because the only important decision you made, it was a win-win situation.

Remember what one im referring at ? 

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That says more about the Bills franchise than it does McD.  My first choice would probably be Lincoln Riley.  They need a young offensive minded HC.  Anyone can coach this vanilla McD/Frazier defense.  

I get it.  There is almost no way McD loses his job even if the Bills don't make the playoffs.  That said owners can be impatient and with Allen in place and the roster they have, it would be a prime landing spot.  

LOL, this would not be a prime landing spot.

You fire a HC after a 13-3 season, 1st place in the East and #1 on both sides of the ball the next year?  That to you would be prime lol?

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That says more about the Bills franchise than it does McD.  My first choice would probably be Lincoln Riley.  They need a young offensive minded HC.  Anyone can coach this vanilla McD/Frazier defense.  

I get it.  There is almost no way McD loses his job even if the Bills don't make the playoffs.  That said owners can be impatient and with Allen in place and the roster they have, it would be a prime landing spot.  

I'm literally taking the opposite of everything you say to be true, because you pulled the "trust me, I'm a doctor" card in claiming a national organization of surgeons dedicated to the treatment of foot injuries didn't know what they were talking about in regards to overuse injuries in feet...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm literally taking the opposite of everything you say to be true, because you pulled the "trust me, I'm a doctor" card in claiming a national organization of surgeons dedicated to the treatment of foot injuries didn't know what they were talking about in regards to overuse injuries in feet...

Yeah I'm a cardiologist so I should have fact checked that claim a bit more.  Lol

But you know deep down and are afraid to admit,  I'm right about McD.  

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why stop at McDermott?  The only logical course of action is for the Pegulas to sell the team to owners who promise not to lose to Jacksonville.  It starts at the top . . . 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mango said:

Tell me you never competed in sports outside of high school without telling me you never competed in serious sports outside of high school. 

Releasing a player mid year after a loss to prove a point is a terrible idea, especially with a pretty healthy locker room. 

This is something Gruden would do. 

You don't release him, you sit him on the bench for the rest of the year.  This is what you do... Ford = Benchwarmer!!

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Then McD needs to shoulder all responsibilities then. If he can’t get us a super bowl win by the end of next season, I’m looking for someone who can. 

Sound great.  I like tough talk.  And I agree, the Super Bowl is the one-and-only goal.

But McD is one of the top 10 professional football coaches in the world today.  Where are you looking for someone who can get this squad to the Super Bowl when McD can't?   Andy Reid, Sean Payton, and Bill Belichick all have jobs.  Tony Dungy and The Jaw are happily retired.   

Who, specifically, would  you hire that would coach this team better than McD?

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Every season under Sean McDermott they have gone thru a few game stretch in the middle of the season where they play like they are just tired of "the process" and put on a series of inexplicably,  uncharasterically,  pathetic, listless and undisciplined performances.

It's been like the "dog days of summer" in baseball.    Every season.

After looking pathetic they've always bounced back and finished the season strong.    

Was really hoping they'd figure out how to avoid this sh*t this time around........especially with such an easy schedule........but nope........both the Dolphins and Jags games have been shite.

I would expect the light will come back on in a couple weeks.

Marv Levy's teams had games like this.  So has Bill Belichick's teams.  And Andy Reid's.  Good coaches have bad days.  

I think some of the hot-headed over-reactions are coming from people who falsely believed this roster was better than it actually is.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.