We are at the point of the season where this regime needs to send a message to the lockerroom

FilthyBeast

12 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I couldn't agree more.

The way McDermott handled that press conference was pathetic. No fire, no passion, just acting as if this was a reasonable result, clearly trying to downplay it. Very Jauron "It's hard to win in this league" ish.

And I'm not convinced the locker room gets anything different, honestly.

Who the heck cares about pressers?   Other than being slightly irritable, Belichick sounds like a barely-living zombie at pressers.  Yet, in fact, he's fully emotionally and intellectually engaged in his team.

Pressers are for the fans.  When a coach stands in front of his team, he may very well behave completely different.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Who the heck cares about pressers?   Other than being slightly irritable, Belichick sounds like a barely-living zombie at pressers.  Yet, in fact, he's fully emotionally and intellectually engaged in his team.

Pressers are for the fans.  When a coach stands in front of his team, he may very well behave completely different.  

He may. I just don't think he does. I think he's awkward in front of the team, as exemplified by the post-game speeches we see from the locker room.

And pressers may be for media and fans (even so, in this case, don't downplay the loss; give the fans something!), but there's no doubt you can send a message to your team that way as well.

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He may. I just don't think he does. I think he's awkward in front of the team, as exemplified by the post-game speeches we see from the locker room.

And pressers may be for media and fans (even so, in this case, don't downplay the loss; give the fans something!), but there's no doubt you can send a message to your team that way as well.

You can.  And some coaches do that.

But a coach is with his team all week:  organizing the preparation for the next game...  setting standards...  developing relationships that - hopefully - bring out the best in people...  establishing a culture...  influencing mindsets and habits...  studying game tape...  developing a game plan...

One presser in front of the media doesn't make or break  a coach.  It's all the stuff that happens during  the week that really matters.  

1 minute ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

we need that message sent fast to our team, after NY it gets hard, Colts, Saints, NE  & SlimBrady in line... Circle December 6 vs NE prime time.

All huge games

I don't disagree that some messaging needs to take place.  But a message won't cure the Bills.   

You can cut Cordy Ford.  You can shake up the starting lineup.  You can yell and scream all you want.  None of that will fix our talent deficit on the offensive line.  

Just now, Sugar High JA17 said:

we need that message sent fast to our team, after NY it gets hard, Colts, Saints, NE  & SlimBrady in line... Circle December 6 vs NE prime time.

All huge games

If we can lose to the Jags, we can lose every one of these games unless something drastic changes immediately.

Like I said the time to send a message is now even if it's behind closed doors without the media really know what transpires. But I still think that making a roster move and releasing somewhat sends a louder message.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Marv Levy's teams had games like this.  So has Bill Belichick's teams.  And Andy Reid's.  Good coaches have bad days.   

It's true that all HC's have games where their teams don't show up to play.

What is concerning with McDermott is that it's like this for a 3-4 week stretch in the middle of every season..............it's not just been "a game" here and there randomly sprinkled throughout a long season.   It's been a near-month-long funk each time.

The Bills are a "continuity" focused organization.........its fair to say that these stretches are now part of what the players expect to happen every season and therefore,  despite McDermott likely changing things up to prevent it,    it's perhaps become self-fulfilling to an extent.

17 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is an interesting take what the Jaguars players said after the game.  Can't win in the NFL like that.  

We are soft on offense because we don't have a good tough O line, and absolutely no running game.  I would sit both Singletary and Moss next week.  Neither of these guys has any explosiveness.  What did we see in them to draft both in the 3rd round??  And play Breida and Antonio Williams.  And yes cut Cody Ford.  He is trash.  And why we don't have a second TE better then Tommy Sweeny is beyond me.  He doesn't look like he could start for a lot of college programs.  

This needs to be a come to Jesus week for McDermott and the entire team especially the offense.  What we saw on the field today is not acceptable.  (The defense played its ass off today with half the secondary injured) 

This franchise has neglected Tight End forever. 

Scott Chandler is the best Tight End we've had since 2000. 

Knox has the athleticism, but I agree, there is nothing behind him. 

McDermott tells you how important guys like Reggie Gilliam are, but he's not big enough to be a Tight End as a receiver or a blocker, and he's not powerful enough to be a fullback. 

We have players like that around the edges of the roster. 

In terms of offensive line, we are down to scraping people off Practice Squads. 

23 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

All huge games

Didn't NO lose at home to Atlanta. The Bills losing to the Jags so they can't take anyone for granted but given the Saints QB situation I wouldn't call that a hard game anymore.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Didn't NO lose at home to Atlanta. The Bills losing to the Jags so they can't take anyone for granted but given the Saints QB situation I wouldn't call that a hard game anymore.

on the road & also beat the SlimBrady bucs the week before haha, check ur facts

Just now, Sugar High JA17 said:

on the road & also beat the SlimBrady bucs the week before haha, check ur facts

They also lost to the Giants at home. They are up and down and given their QB situation that isn't that hard of a game anymore. Of course losing to the Jags means every team the Bills play will be a challenge.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They also lost to the Giants at home. They are up and down and given their QB situation that isn't that hard of a game anymore. Of course losing to the Jags means every team the Bills play will be a challenge.

Sad thing is we should've played alot better the past 3 games, lets walk on the jets & build our team back to the #1seed we should be

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If I was McD I would fire the offensive line coach to make a statement

This OL has not played well all season

You could see Josh Allen very animated in the first half of the Miami game.....no ***** given

Then the jags game

I agree that a message needs to be sent......

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 1.59.14 PM.png

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sound great.  I like tough talk.  And I agree, the Super Bowl is the one-and-only goal.

But McD is one of the top 10 professional football coaches in the world today.  Where are you looking for someone who can get this squad to the Super Bowl when McD can't?   Andy Reid, Sean Payton, and Bill Belichick all have jobs.  Tony Dungy and The Jaw are happily retired.   

Who, specifically, would  you hire that would coach this team better than McD?

Marv Levy's teams had games like this.  So has Bill Belichick's teams.  And Andy Reid's.  Good coaches have bad days.  

I think some of the hot-headed over-reactions are coming from people who falsely believed this roster was better than it actually is.  

You forgot Gruden, he’s available 😂 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.