We are at the point of the season where this regime needs to send a message to the lockerroom

FilthyBeast

One thing we've heard preached over and over with this HC/GM is 'culture'. It's why they made an ill advised decision to 'run it back' in the offseason bringing back pretty much the same team that was smashed by the Chiefs in the championship game instead of letting certain players walk/get released and replace them with other options. It's also why many buffalo media speculated that that Beane didn't want to make any trades of note last week brining in players from outside the organization because of the apparently lockeroom lovefest with this team.

But this may be the issue and based on some of the postgame comments from the Jaguars that they noticed the Bills sideline didn't seem to care or have much interest in the game. Obviously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this based on the sheer amount of penalties and you have to wonder if this team had any real practice last week or was just busy taking selfies and playing on instagram on their phones.

It's one thing for a team to be complacent if they are coming off a championship season, but this team has done nothing of note other than win a division title once in 25 years. They aren't the Chiefs, Brady Pats teams or anything close the 90 Bills despite claims otherwise.

Therefore if I'm Beane/McDermott I release someone (obvious candidate is Cody Ford) and send a message that the results on the field aren't nearly good enough and expected by this team if they truly aspire for greatness. The time for accountability is now before things spiral out of control quickly. They may anyway given the lack of talent in key areas of this roster, but at least you try to right the ship by making a bold move or two.

• Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Therefore if I'm Beane/McDermott I release someone (obvious candidate is Cody Ford) and send a message that the results on the field aren't nearly good enough and expected by this team if they truly aspire for greatness.

FORD SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED ALREADY!!! He's a bust in the mold of Mike Williams. That's on the management and staff.

• Eyeroll 1

That is an interesting take what the Jaguars players said after the game.  Can't win in the NFL like that.  

We are soft on offense because we don't have a good tough O line, and absolutely no running game.  I would sit both Singletary and Moss next week.  Neither of these guys has any explosiveness.  What did we see in them to draft both in the 3rd round??  And play Breida and Antonio Williams.  And yes cut Cody Ford.  He is trash.  And why we don't have a second TE better then Tommy Sweeny is beyond me.  He doesn't look like he could start for a lot of college programs.  

This needs to be a come to Jesus week for McDermott and the entire team especially the offense.  What we saw on the field today is not acceptable.  (The defense played its ass off today with half the secondary injured) 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's why they made an ill advised decision to 'run it back' in the offseason bringing back pretty much the same team that was smashed by the Chiefs in the championship game instead of letting certain players walk/get released and replace them with other options.

Why don't we wait until the end of the season to see if it was ill advised?

Also, we smashed Chiefs this season. With a team which you called 2-3 win team in other thread lol.

McD is the one to go.  There was a thread before the season started and it was something like who was going to hold us back or who shoudl be held responsbile iof they don't win the SB. My answer has been and always will be McD.  There are just way too many games his team plays down to the competition and one side of the ball or the other is historically awful.  It goes back to his defense giving up 298 yards rushing to the Saints and continues to today when the offense with a MVP candidate QB can't score 9 points.  

But there will be no accountability.  I'm telling you this guy is not the guy.  He is a good enough but not great enough coach to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

One thing we've heard preached over and over with this HC/GM is 'culture'. It's why they made an ill advised decision to 'run it back' in the offseason bringing back pretty much the same team that was smashed by the Chiefs in the championship game instead of letting certain players walk/get released and replace them with other options. It's also why many buffalo media speculated that that Beane didn't want to make any trades of note last week brining in players from outside the organization because of the apparently lockeroom lovefest with this team.

But this may be the issue and based on some of the postgame comments from the Jaguars that they noticed the Bills sideline didn't seem to care or have much interest in the game. Obviously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this based on the sheer amount of penalties and you have to wonder if this team had any real practice last week or was just busy taking selfies and playing on instagram on their phones.

It's one thing for a team to be complacent if they are coming off a championship season, but this team has done nothing of note other than win a division title once in 25 years. They aren't the Chiefs, Brady Pats teams or anything close the 90 Bills despite claims otherwise.

Therefore if I'm Beane/McDermott I release someone (obvious candidate is Cody Ford) and send a message that the results on the field aren't nearly good enough and expected by this team if they truly aspire for greatness. The time for accountability is now before things spiral out of control quickly. They may anyway given the lack of talent in key areas of this roster, but at least you try to right the ship by making a bold move or two.

You're a weak leader if you have to get rid of someone just to "send a message."  

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is the one to go.  There was a thread before the season started and it was something like who was going to hold us back or who shoudl be held responsbile iof they don't win the SB. My answer has been and always will be McD.  There are just way too many games his team plays down to the competition and one side of the ball or the other is historically awful.  It goes back to his defense giving up 298 yards rushing to the Saints and continues to today when the offense with a MVP candidate QB can't score 9 points.  

But there will be no accountability.  I'm telling you this guy is not the guy.  He is a good enough but not great enough coach to get it done. 

The 3rd winningest coach in Bills history.  And you want to get rid of him?  And replace him with who?  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're a weak leader if you have to get rid of someone to "send a message."  

The 3rd winningest coach in Bills history.  And you want to get rid of him?  And replace him with who?  

That says more about the Bills franchise than it does McD.  My first choice would probably be Lincoln Riley.  They need a young offensive minded HC.  Anyone can coach this vanilla McD/Frazier defense.  

I get it.  There is almost no way McD loses his job even if the Bills don't make the playoffs.  That said owners can be impatient and with Allen in place and the roster they have, it would be a prime landing spot.  

Edited by Ethan in Portland
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

That says more about the Bills franchise than it does McD.  My first choice would probably be Lincoln Riley.  They need a young offensive minded HC.  Anyone can coach this vanilla McD/Frazier defense.  

There are a number of teams who have come close but not closed the deal, decided the problem was the coach, fired him, and sunk into mediocrity.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Utter nonsense.

If anyone could coach a defense this good, all the defenses would run this scheme and be this good.

They've got the right coach now.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nice job. It's not often we get two such ridiculous posts right in a row.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I get what you're saying, but if the Bills appeared to lack interest on the sideline, that falls on the Coaches and Team Captains.  Ford shouldn't be released for that reason.  He should be released because he's overmatched at this level.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.