It’s Daboll, please fire him

Milanos Milano

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

In the offseason I would go shopping for a new line coach, some guards and new backs.  Beane should do some serious self-scouting on his evaluation skills wrt the interior line.

I'm not impressed with the organization's ability to draft and develop offensive first contract players...aside from Josh.  The last 3 off-seasons they loaded up with UFA OL and did the same at WR.  Davis and Knox may improve, but they're in their 2nd or 3rd season respectively.  They're just too reliant on UFA types.  

Beane, as you note, needs to look and the mirror and admit they need help over there.  Because, McD now has his DL rotation and it's time to provide Josh everything on offense he could need on days 1 and 2 of the draft.  Otherwise, it's gonna be a Packers redux with Rodgers being forced to do it all. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm worried in Sean McDermott is getting more involved on the offensive side of the ball. 

Could be some truth to this....we are very conservative...very easy short throws...quick high % passes at the line to diggs or bees hoping for a missed tackle...4 yard dumpoffs to the rbs in the middle hoping for 3rd and shorts.....none of it makes sense....we are being made into a very easy to defend offense ...one stuff on 1st down out of a shotgun run sets up a 3 yard pass to a rb or a 0 yard pass at the los to a wr and then we need a big 3rd down conversion...rinse wash repeat...it looks like we are trying to be a dink and dunk ball control offense who has to be perfect on 3rd downs to succeed....

Edited by Billever76

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Could be some truth to this....we are very conservative...very easy short throws...quick high % passes at the line to diggs or bees hoping for a missed tackle...4 yard dumpoffs to the rbs in the middle hoping for 3rd and shorts.....none of it makes sense....we are being made into a very easy to defend offense ...one stuff on 1st down out of a shotgun run sets up a 3 yard pass to a rb or a 0 yard pass at the los to a wr and then we need a big 3rd down conversion...rinse wash repeat...it looks like we are trying to be a dink and dunk ball control offense who has to be perfect on 3rd downs to succeed....

And our team just looks small again. 

Small WRs who aren't fast. 

Small WRs who don't break passes. 

Slow Running Backs who immediately get tackled. 

Too many running back screens trying to substitute for a run game because McDermott is pushing that again (barf - the Bills looked into Adrian Peterson). 

Where are the jet sweeps, the motion, Isaiah McKenzie, where is Gabe Davis?

• Agree 1

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And our team just looks small again. 

Small WRs who aren't fast. 

Small WRs who don't break passes. 

Slow Running Backs who immediately get tackled. 

Too many running back screens trying to substitute for a run game because McDermott is pushing that again (barf - the Bills looked into Adrian Peterson). 

Where are the jet sweeps, the motion, Isaiah McKenzie, where is Gabe Davis?

Seems like all of our strengths from last year are now put away in the safe to use for the superbowl 😂

2 hours ago, Billever76 said:

We have no intermediate or deep passes even drawn up lol.....lots of plays yesterday EVERYONE WAS WITHIN 6 OR 7 YARDS of the los....literally every offensive player clogging the short field....kinda made the jags have to only defend 10 yards of the field lol.....there was plays to be made problem is we didnt dial them up to exploit what Jacksonville was doing lol

Rush 4, drop 5 in mid coverage and 2 deep. Lights out Bills. 

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Rush 4, drop 5 in mid coverage and 2 deep. Lights out Bills. 

Teams did that last year against us and it failed bc we rolled allen right with bootlegs and moving pockets....we had allot of misdirection and presnap movement.....we had wrs working back with allen on scrambles......we simply are not doing that anymore

Im not writing it off just yet...i will say a good OC and HC can compensate for a weak interior oline to an extent amd instead we have called plays and coaching decisions that have magnified our glaring weakness...there isnt many weaknesses on this team but our interior oline is major....its time our coaches get their heads out of their asses and do some major adjustments on how they call plays and what decisions they are making at critical downs in game....we need ingame adjustments and to utilize what we do best....no more slow developing shotgun draws into our weak interior...no more quick throws to diggs and beasely at or behind the los.....start calling quick slants,timing patterns to the sidelines at or past the sticks......rollout allen in designed bootlegs and get the pocket moving.....give me a break with this vanilla bull#### from our OC and HC

Daboll isn't terrible and he'll probably be a head coach next year, but I do think he's overrated.

I just think he's too inconsistent and it takes too long for him to make adjustments.  We clearly need to put a FB in there to help the running game and we never do it.  Why did we even keep a FB on the roster?  What a waste of a spot.

I expect a bounce back next week, but yes, Daboll was a big problem yesterday.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Daboll isn't terrible and he'll probably be a head coach next year, but I do think he's overrated.

I just think he's too inconsistent and it takes too long for him to make adjustments.  We clearly need to put a FB in there to help the running game and we never do it.  Why did we even keep a FB on the roster?  What a waste of a spot.

I expect a bounce back next week, but yes, Daboll was a big problem yesterday.

At this point Frazier has the better odds to be a HC again and probably deserves it given what's he's done here on a defense that's more the sum of it's part vs individual star players which we really don't have.

I think this offense would have to catch fire in the 2nd half of the season for Daboll to be a serious HC candidate but still think that's wishful think given the we have one of the worst olines in the league.

The only way the Bills get rid of Daboll is to fire him.

He's not head coaching material.  There were at least 3 teams that looked at him last season and all passed.

They all ended up hiring younger head coaches that were in shape and came from the McVay coaching tree.

A head coach is the face of your franchise, and Daboll looks like a serial killer.

Sorry.

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The only way the Bills get rid of Daboll is to fire him.

He's not head coaching material.  There were at least 3 teams that looked at him last season and all passed.

They all ended up hiring younger head coaches that were in shape and came from the McVay coaching tree.

A head coach is the face of your franchise, and Daboll looks like a serial killer.

Sorry.

Seriously?  That’s ridiculous.  It’s fair to wonder if he’s a good interview based on the recent hiring history.  I don’t agree with it, but I get it.  But on a personal level … no way.  Great guy. 

It's so funny! 

After every loss, each contingent of fans comes out of the woodwork screaming for their cause.

The "Fire the OC" crowd is always present, but we hear them loudest after a loss.

Then you have the "the refs did this to us" crowd  bitching about biased officiating.  

Then you have the "the defense is not good enough" crowd complaining about defense.

And so on.

29 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

At this point Frazier has the better odds to be a HC again and probably deserves it given what's he's done here on a defense that's more the sum of it's part vs individual star players which we really don't have.

I think this offense would have to catch fire in the 2nd half of the season for Daboll to be a serious HC candidate but still think that's wishful think given the we have one of the worst olines in the league.

Before this week we had the #1 scoring offense.  From a distance, Daboll is still a very appealing candidate and unless we repeat what we did yesterday a bunch of times, I think he'll end up a HC.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Before this week we had the #1 scoring offense.  From a distance, Daboll is still a very appealing candidate and unless we repeat what we did yesterday a bunch of times, I think he'll end up a HC.

Teams will look at what teams the Buffalo Bills beat to get that #1 offense...

2-7 Miami 2x...1-8 Houston...2-6 Washington. 4 of 5 wins against scrubs. The Bills played the 1-6 Jags and got beat 6-9...holy cow! 

On another note, Brian Daboll has struggled with the game plans and play calls against the good teams since the 2020 Colts playoff game last season which the Bills won 27-24. The Bills offense didn't look like it had previously in dominating Denver 48-19, NE, 38-9, Miami 56-26. 

Shoot, that 2020 Ravens playoff game the Bills offense only scored 10 points all game. Then scored only 24 against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. 

The Bills lost to Pittsburgh in the 2021 opener. 16-23. Allen 51 pass attempts, 16 rush attempts from other then the QB. Bills OC Daboll putting way to much on the QB to win the game time and time again and his game plans, play calls are lacking...no question. 

Look what Miami did in their second game against Buffalo to adjust from that fearsome Buffalo rush in the first game. Quick outs, slants in Tua getting the ball out very quickly to negate the rush. Buffalo had no answer for the Jags rush and it got worse as the game went on.

To me, this is on the Bills OC, Daboll !!  Look back to the 2019 Ravens game in which Allen was sacked 6x. Under duress all game and no changing anything to help the QB...can't run it, can't pass it...so let's keep calling pass plays...

I'd say demote the him... but then, he might not get hired away from Buffalo. Should the bills fire him... we all know where he is going...right back to ole smiley. 

The Bills have some serious flaws on offense and mostly with their offensive line. When Josh doesn't have enough time...he tries to make things happen and it doesn't always work out. No help from his OC either.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He doesn’t even know the concept of a slant. If McDermott wants to prove he still has control of this team, he needs to look for a new OC tomorrow. 

We all know what they say about "assume" but it's a fair bet we can assume Daboll knows what a slant is.

And he also knows this mysterious slant you speak of is not the reason this team isn't rolling. 

But who knows, if you're listening Brian Daboll, and you don't know what a slant is, why don't you give it a whirl? It's the No. 2 thingy below. 

image.thumb.png.a1540857c0537f9051951d80b0c1b11d.png

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m starting to disagree here.  Daboll called 9 runs in a 9-6 game.  His line can’t hold their pass blocks long enough for deep passing routes to materialize, and Allen fixates on the big play and won’t take underneath options if there is eye candy downfield.

I’m starting to think they should stay in 11 or 12 personnel, commit to a running and play action game (NOT RPO, though), and eliminate the deep options until Allen, the line and the backs adjust their style of play.  Otherwise teams will continue to keep their safeties deep and dare Allen to throw into coverage, and he simply cannot stay disciplined enough to avoid it.

I’m on the fence with this.  You’re right that the safer approach is to lean into your strengths but I fear we’ll just keep seeing the same result over and over again if we don’t fundamentally change the approach.

In the offseason I would go shopping for a new line coach, some guards and new backs.  Beane should do some serious self-scouting on his evaluation skills wrt the interior line.

bro, this is exactly it.

we come in w a plan, if the plan doesn't work, we might attempt a lil switcharoo at half time (miami).  if that doesn't work, well were fudged.  i really think it's because we just don't regularly practice enough bedrock type plays that suit a team identity that we can just run when the fit hits the shan.  

cover 2 and some 3rd and long blitzes by a garbage team just nuked our O.  that combined w how all our scoring the past 2 seasons has been largely a result of diggs, allen, and a couple other guys just being better than everyone else tells me where the biggest issue/easiest fix is.

I was at the game, sadly…but I feel and have felt this all year, Daboll’s play calling when playing what is a “lesser” team seems to be straight out of preseason, nothing new, very basic.  In this game Jacksonville played a zone and sent a CB a lot.  The OL had no chance to reach the rushers and the interior was overwhelmed.  They forced check down throws and swarmed.  Dion Dawkins had his worse game, I’m wondering if he’s still feeling the effects of Covid.  Williams proved what Carolina fans have been saying, once he gets paid he doesn’t play with fire.  Ford is just plan not a good pro.  I’d be interested in seeing an OL change up.  
brown-Dawkins-Morse-Williams and Doyle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.