Give Allen some credit for his play today

HappyDays

Allen has to do everything for this offense. The RBs have no holes and he doesn’t have time to go through his progressions. If he wasn’t so elusive we would rarely execute on 3rd and long. I’m sure Diggs and Sanders are open downfield. He needs a pocket to find them. Of course, he plays too much hero ball but it’s because it’s him or no one. 

• Like (+1) 5

when you never have a chance to get into a rhythm, there are going to be more mistakes on plays that should be made. By the end of the game, he probably has PTSD expecting somebody to be in his grill immediately. 

Whatever the case, josh usually learns from his mistakes. This game is not his fault, but he'll learn from those mistakes, and he'll win similar games in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I know you aren’t good at digesting things like reality and objective evidence.  There are no “Allen haters” on this forum that I’m aware of.  Allen had a decent first half and a four-turnover second half where he stacked bad decisions.  He makes a quarter billion dollars and was completely flummoxed by the worst pass defense in the NFL.  He was trash today.

Jake Plummer. You said Josh Allen is Jake Plummer. And that this game showed who he will be for his entire career. 

You clearly don't understand how reality works. 

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I know you aren’t good at digesting things like reality and objective evidence.  There are no “Allen haters” on this forum that I’m aware of.  Allen had a decent first half and a four-turnover second half where he stacked bad decisions.  He makes a quarter billion dollars and was completely flummoxed by the worst pass defense in the NFL.  He was trash today.

Jake Plummer. You said Josh Allen is Jake Plummer. And that this game showed who he will be for his entire career. 

You clearly don't understand how reality works. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What are you even saying bro?

Exactly what I said in the subject line... give Allen some credit for his play today. I'm not saying he played particularly well. Just that he was put in an impossible situation and I'm not sure any QB in the league would have done any better. Allen was the reason that we moved the ball. No circus catches. No explosive YAC plays. No big runs. Just Allen evading pressure and either running or throwing a rocket. It was basically the equivalent of Mahomes in the Super Bowl last year. No one thinks Mahomes played particularly well but he couldn't have done much more with the constant jailbreaks and receivers dropping passes.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

I'm not made at Allen, very few QB's are going to play well behind one of the worst olines in the NFL and the idiot offense coordinator is determined to get him put on IR with all the stupid play calling.

But at the same time I still feel he makes very poor decisions and still doesn't protect the football nearly as good as he should.

At the end of the day though QB is far from the reason why this team is 5-3 and trending downwards fast.

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That's absurd to call him "trash." So you think Brady or Mahomes would have done better? He had rushers in his face, he was getting hit constantly, he had no run game and no running lanes himself, and his receivers were dropping balls and mostly not getting open. Yet you're happy to call him "trash." I hope you're just venting. If not, well, I'll stop there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

Yup, unpopular opinion. I’m not saying he didn’t run for his life, but the interceptions were unforgivable.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Exactly what I said in the subject line... give Allen some credit for his play today. I'm not saying he played particularly well. Just that he was put in an impossible situation and I'm not sure any QB in the league would have done any better. Allen was the reason that we moved the ball. No circus catches. No explosive YAC plays. No big runs. Just Allen evading pressure and either running or throwing a rocket. It was basically the equivalent of Mahomes in the Super Bowl last year. No one thinks Mahomes played particularly well but he couldn't have done much more with the constant jailbreaks and receivers dropping passes.

I have seen Big Ben win MANY games in his career just like this one, where his line was garbage and the playcalling was odd and his receivers were uninterested.  He often overcomes (or used to) those conditions.

Josh was a huge part of the problem today.  I’m giving him no credit for sucking and neither should you.  Hell, he admitted in his post-game that he played like sh—.  Blind loyalty does no favors.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

That's absurd to call him "trash." So you think Brady or Mahomes would have done better? He had rushers in his face, he was getting hit constantly, he had no run game and no running lanes himself, and his receivers were dropping balls and mostly not getting open. Yet you're happy to call him "trash." I hope you're just venting. If not, well, I'll stop there. 

Josh Allen (the QB) agrees with my take but I’m sure he appreciates the soft landing here.

45 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

He made two bad decisions on RPO's, the one at the three where Moss got stuffed (Allen walks into the EZ if he keeps it), and the third down later in the game where the Jagoffs LB stayed home, but Josh pulled the ball out of Motor's hands, promptly ran into the LB and fumbled (Motor would have had the first down).  His decision on the last Bills play to go across his body to Diggs instead of upfield to Sanders for the first down sealed our fate.

Terrible read by Josh. Motor would have run for 20.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He played a good first half and morphed into Jake Plummer in the second half when he stopped trusting his teammates.

I have very little respect for his game today.  He refuses to play within the structure even when his poor decisions cost the team over and over again.

Right now this is who he is.  It might be who he always is - this may be his ceiling, a guy who loses patience and gets bored and desperate when things don’t break right.  If so, he’ll need a lot more help around him if they ever expect a Lombardi.

What structure is that?  A crumbing offense line that was allowing immediate pressure up the middle AND around the end? If he plays within structure he's probably sacked a few more times and we don't covert a couple of 3rd and long plays.

Does this structure include dump off passes to a TE and two RB's that can't break a tackle or make a guy miss or outrun a LB?  Because I saw a lot of those types of passes today that resulted in little or know gain.  Or are you talking about the structure of running draw plays and sweeps in the hopes of fooling the defense?  We ran a couple of those for either no gain or a loss.  I just love those 2nd and 12 situations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.