Give Allen some credit for his play today

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He played a good first half and morphed into Jake Plummer in the second half when he stopped trusting his teammates.

I have very little respect for his game today.  He refuses to play within the structure even when his poor decisions cost the team over and over again.

Right now this is who he is.  It might be who he always is - this may be his ceiling, a guy who loses patience and gets bored and desperate when things don’t break right.  If so, he’ll need a lot more help around him if they ever expect a Lombardi.

WTF is 'the structure??' Getting hit over and over because his line is atrocious? Because we have shredded the part of the playbook with screens? 

Josh is special BECAUSE he can make something out of nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He played a good first half and morphed into Jake Plummer in the second half when he stopped trusting his teammates.

I have very little respect for his game today.  He refuses to play within the structure even when his poor decisions cost the team over and over again.

Right now this is who he is.  It might be who he always is - this may be his ceiling, a guy who loses patience and gets bored and desperate when things don’t break right.  If so, he’ll need a lot more help around him if they ever expect a Lombardi.

So I agree the 2nd half he started to unravel. I just don't know a QB that wouldn't have done the same. Every single QB that has ever played can be beat by rushing 4 and getting pressure, especially when there is zero running game to take the pressure off. That is what the Jaguars did all game long. The fact that we moved the ball at all is a testament to Allen's abilities as a QB. I mean I can't sit here and say Allen was impatient today. He checked the ball down a ton to Moss or Singletary or Sweeney. And every time the receiver was tackled immediately because they can't accelerate...

Cover 2 can be beaten with short throws but we don't have have the offensive skill players to take advantage. So what is Allen supposed to do when it's a pass rush jail break with just 4 rushers, no run game, and no explosive player to hit on check downs?

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

WTF is 'the structure??' Getting hit over and over because his line is atrocious? Because we have shredded the part of the playbook with screens? 

Josh is special BECAUSE he can make something out of nothing. 

Both interceptions were colossally dumb decisions where there was no need to press.  Both fumbles were on botched plays were better situational football and following the play design avoids disaster.

No one played well today.  But Allen was atrocious in the second half and they couldn’t overcome it.

• Like (+1) 2

Can't get mad at josh for a game like this. the offensive line is a sieve and this problem has been boiling at the surface all season. Every game, there is more tape on how to attack us, and we are doing nothing to make adjustments. 

and we knew the line was a problem after the post season. no excuses. we didn't even attempt to address it. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

When they can beat a 1-6 team, then i'll give credit where credits due.........today's not that day.

• Like (+1) 2

No defense of the OL or Daboll here. But….

The last offensive play of the game felt like a microcosm of some glaring offensive issues.

Allen drops back. Protection holds up. Allen rolls right for no real reason. He has Sanders open at the stick, but instead decides to thread the needle to Diggs. 

Allen was bad and the OL were also bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

HE LOST THE GAME WHEN HE COULDNT SCORE A TD ALL GAME. 

I don't believe there was a specific series where Allen's individual failure caused the Bills to miss out on a TD. Maybe the all-22 will reveal differently. I will hedge myself a bit on his fumble. I recognize that he made a bad read. But he is not a zone read QB in general so I don't know why that play call is in our book, especially on crucial downs.

14 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don't fault Josh.

Ya he didn't play well.

But they couldn't run. Pass block. Catch the ball.

So ya he forced things and it lead to mistakes.

But he was under seize all game and Had 0 help.

This sums up the game perfectly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I don't believe there was a specific series where Allen's individual failure caused the Bills to miss out on a TD. Maybe the all-22 will reveal differently. I will hedge myself a bit on his fumble. I recognize that he made a bad read. But he is not a zone read QB in general so I don't know why that play call is in our book, especially on crucial downs.

Allens choice to go to Diggs on the final 4th down rather than Sanders who was right in front of him cost the team the opportunity at a tie. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

You are demanding that someone prove the un-provable.  On both INTs there was no reason to make the throw he made.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

Every single TO was on Allen. He took a sack to get us out of FG range.  What are you even saying bro? He looked like Sam Darnold in the second half 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I agree, he did What he could to get us a win but he cant do it alone.

He's officially run out of bandaid to cover up the warts of this pathetic OL/RB group.  We expect him every week to be Superman, 100% of our offense. A one man band. Beane and McD have a ton of work to do this offseason. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Both interceptions were colossally dumb decisions where there was no need to press.  Both fumbles were on botched plays were better situational football and following the play design avoids disaster.

No one played well today.  But Allen was atrocious in the second half and they couldn’t overcome it.

Follow the play design? Nobody involved in run plays has any skill whatsoever, Allen is aware of this, which is why he keeps 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I've seen this type of post from the OP before about our teams QB. It used to be Tyrod and how he's good even though we sucked and the team lost...now it's about Allen, but I have to say that I feel the same way I do now than I did then.

BS

I can give you that Allen was dealt a ***** hand today with drops and no help from the line or run game, but his interceptions were awful, and he was off target on other throws that might have changed the outcome of the game.

Accept that sometimes the signal caller was simply not good, and don't create posts trying to prop him up and obsolve him from his part in the loss.

19 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I hear what you are saying but an MVP candidate needs to overcome that.  Yes the OL is terrible and the biggest issue on the team but Josh needs to play better.  He shouldn’t be absolved of any blame

The same exact thing is happening to Pat Mahomes right now and they have a much better offensive line. 

We give him the benefit of the doubt. We give Allen the same. Hes been carrying this dog**** offensive line for 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.