Give Allen some credit for his play today

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Point out all the folks talking about how great Mahomes was in the Super Bowl. 

But this isn't what I said. In fact I could take my OP and apply it exactly to Mahomes's performance in the Super Bowl. It isn't that Mahomes or Allen performed well; both were put in impossible situations and performed to the best of their ability. Performing well enough to win was not really possible in either situation. I'll dock Allen for the two careless interceptions, which Mahomes did not do in the Super Bowl. But I believe the o-line performance today mirrored the Chiefs o-line performance in the Super Bowl. And however a fan feels about one they should feel about the other.

Yeah he’s an MVP candidate needs to manufacture points  with the game on the line…..

but what do you do when he is doing just that at the most important part of the game and Gabe Davis drops a pass that would’ve put us into chip shot FG range at the MINIMUM.

of all the things that went wrong, that’s the one that sticks with me. I personally think Allen did everything he could when it was all on the line…

…but everything that could go wrong today, did go wrong, and that was no exception

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But this isn't what I said. In fact I could take my OP and apply it exactly to Mahomes's performance in the Super Bowl. It isn't that Mahomes or Allen performed well; both were put in impossible situations and performed to the best of their ability. Performing well enough to win was not really possible in either situation. I'll dock Allen for the two careless interceptions, which Mahomes did not do in the Super Bowl. But I believe the o-line performance today mirrored the Chiefs o-line performance in the Super Bowl. And however a fan feels about one they should feel about the other.

I thought Mahomes played bad in the Super Bowl. His OL also played bad, but he got skittish and played bad. I don’t blame Andy Reid for the players playing bad.

I think Josh Allen played bad today. His OL also played bad, but he got skittish and played bad. I don’t blame Brian Daboll for the players playing bad.

EZ PEASY 

Think about his best plays today in the second half.  They were basically miracle throws under extreme duress that hardly anyone could have made.  He didn't stand a chance today.  I agree that most QBs would have been knocked unconscious or thrown a couple of extra picks (or just turtled and get sacked 8 times).  He wasn't good, but no one would have looked good today with the way the line was dominated and the receivers blanketed.

Josh tried but, as I'm sure people have pointed out:

• He wouldn't take 5-7 free yards by running when he could take a lower percentage shot down field
  • He took sacks in multiple situations where losing yards took us out of FG range
  • Fumbled multiple times 
  • Two uncontested INTs
  • Didn't take when the defense gave and played cool

Now I understand that he couldn't trust his OL, his OC gave him little to work with, and the drops were catastrophic. But we need to come to terms with the fact that this IS Josh Allen. He will make amazing throws, angry run for first downs, and get the defense to jump occasionally. However he will never take profits, hold the ball securely, or throw the ball away without intentional grounding. There's apparently no coaching it out of him, we have to live with it. And I'll take him over all the Fitzpatricks, Tyrods, and Trent Edwards.

Allen is our guy, and I have been 100% in on him for quite a while now. It is going to take more than this game for me to question if he is elite, but he did not play well today. I agree he had a lot going against him, but he had a bad game. I fully expect this to be an outlier, I think he will bounce back fine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, brianb386 said:

Allen is our guy, and I have been 100% in on him for quite a while now. It is going to take more than this game for me to question if he is elite, but he did not play well today. I agree he had a lot going against him, but he had a bad game. I fully expect this to be an outlier, I think he will bounce back fine.

Thank you. Allen is a great QB. You don’t lose your Bills fan card if you admit he played bad today.

Like all games, it’s a team loss. 

Certainly the offense was the bigger issue than the defense but they had their fair share of (questionable) penalties too. Now the play calling was awful, and Josh had no time to throw without someone in his face. This made Josh press to create something and it led to him having three turnovers. Without those turnovers we probably win. Without constant pressure on Josh we probably win. If we could run the ball at all to punish the Jags for the defensive schemes they were throwing at us, we probably win.

Im about as big a Josh fan as their is but his play was a big reason for the loss today. But he is also the reason we have won so much recently. So it will be ok, I still trust Josh and the Bills to get things right going forward.

Tim Graham agrees with you

https://theathletic.com/2941256/2021/11/07/graham-josh-allen-isnt-to-blame-for-the-bills-ghastly-performance-in-jacksonville?source=user-shared-article

But the Bills lost 9-6 to the Jaguars not because of Josh Allen.

Yes, he gave away the ball three — almost four — times in the second half. Yes, he posted a 62.7 passer rating. Yes, it was against a laughingstock opponent.

“Played like *****,” Allen said hoarsely. “Excuse my language, but that starts with me. So I’ve got to be better for this team.”

Taking the heat is what a leader does, but Allen surviving every offensive snap was an accomplishment worthy of consideration, a true feat MVP voters won’t see without looking deeper than his lousy stat line.

Some are saying Allen reverted to the reckless “hero ball” ways common through his first couple of seasons.

Fact is, Allen had little choice but to try it himself. He wasn’t getting much help.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.