Give Allen some credit for his play today

HappyDays

Haven’t seen this anywhere yet, but Josh was clearly under the weather today. It was obvious in his post game presser…just listen to his voice. And he was starting to sound a bit raspy earlier in the week when he met with the press after practice. 

is that why they lost? heck no, but it had to contribute to his clearly sub-standard play. Yes the line was a sieve, but a fully healthy Josh gets away more than today’s sick Josh did. 

1 minute ago, Success said:

To me, the most alarming thing was him missing Sanders on that last play.  Sanders was wide open for the 1st down, and Josh was rolling that way. It seemed like he looked right at him before forcing it in the other direction.

He's doing what he can given the line, and I haven't lost faith in him - but that was a head scratcher.

Yeah he definitely boned that one; he was locked on Diggs the entire time.  He won't be happy when he sees that one on tape.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

To further my point, the Cardinals without both Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins are currently pantsing the 49ers. They're piecing together a run game with James Conner and Eno Benjamin. Can you imagine what our offense would look like if Allen and Diggs missed a game?

Colt McCoy played better than Josh today.

Allen stank, but with a couple exceptions of him scrambling or the ball getting out super fast to a wr who just whipped his man off the line, it seemed like the jags knew our every play.

They showed zone, and then jumped beaz cuz our zone beater.  Every run was sniffed out   they blitzed and had free runners on just about every 3rd and long.  

Josh was bad, our OL was absolute trash, and dabol is in over his head.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

You have a problem when your OL is not good, and then you have 40% of the line replaced with guys who couldn’t crack a bad starting lineup. 

We have other needs, but the focus of the offseason has to be the OL. A great OL and we are a team nobody else wants to see on the schedule. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Josh will take the blame because that’s who he is. Anyone who watched the game knows this was not all on him. Oline and RBs were terrible today and our WRs dropped some balls that could of been either big plays or extended drives…. Josh will carry all the blame though and when you look at the stat sheet his 3 turnovers will pop out at ya. That was a brutal performance by the whole group in my opinion. 

Agreed, he had some really terrible plays but its also not really fair to Josh that his team  can't let him have a few bad plays without the bills being a dumpster fire.  Not to mention if Beasley makes that catch and Gabe makes that catch and tre makes that pick we aren't having this conversation, 3 easy chances to pick up Josh on a down game and they don't come through.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Success said:

To me, the most alarming thing was him missing Sanders on that last play.  Sanders was wide open for the 1st down, and Josh was rolling that way. It seemed like he looked right at him before forcing it in the other direction.

He's doing what he can given the line, and I haven't lost faith in him - but that was a head scratcher.

Why? You see the video and you get a better view of the field and how much space is between sanders abd the defender behind him. At field level you don’t have that luxury, he could of thought he was closer then he actually was. Diggs on the other hand had a clear step on his guy the ball was just poorly placed. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yeah absolutely.

I think this is crazy. QBs are the most important player on offense obviously but they're not the end all be all. Switch QBs in the Super Bowl and I guarantee the Bucs still win, possibly by more considering Mahomes was better than Brady last year. Brady couldn't have dealt with that 4-man pressure anymore than Mahomes could. If anything it would have been worse. There is no book to beating a defense that can consistently get pressure with 4, unless you can run the ball. The Chiefs couldn't run the ball or pass protect, ergo their offense stalled out all night. It had nothing to do with Mahomes. I'm pretty sure if you ask anyone else who watches football they would agree with me on that.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think this is crazy. QBs are the most important player on offense obviously but they're not the end all be all. Switch QBs in the Super Bowl and I guarantee the Bucs still win, possibly by more considering Mahomes was better than Brady last year. Brady couldn't have dealt with that 4-man pressure anymore than Mahomes could. If anything it would have been worse. There is no book to beating a defense that can consistently get pressure with 4, unless you can run the ball. The Chiefs couldn't run the ball or pass protect, ergo their offense stalled out all night. It had nothing to do with Mahomes. I'm pretty sure if you ask anyone else who watches football they would agree with me on that.

Should they have fired Andy Reid? Why did you ignore my comment? 

You also completely changed the question. I never said Colt would do better 

Edited by FireChans

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Should they have fired Andy Reid?

Andy Reid is a generational play caller. Brian Daboll has historically been the OC of bad offenses. He found success for the first time in his career with Josh Allen as his QB. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

I didn't personally see anything in the Super Bowl that I blamed on Andy Reid. If Chiefs fans who watched that offense all year believe he was responsible for some of that poor showing, I would defer to them.

But nah I'm not holding Brian Daboll and Andy Reid to the same standards. And I shouldn't need to explain why.

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You also completely changed the question. I never said Colt would do better 

I don't know how you can make a claim like "Colt McCoy today performed better than Mahomes did in the Super Bowl" when the context of their situation was so different. Colt McCoy didn't have no running game and a jailbreak pass rush in his face on just about every play.

This is my whole point. QB performance is context driven. I believe Allen today was in the same situation that Mahomes was in for the Super Bowl. If you want to dig into your opinion so hard that you're willing to argue Mahomes didn't play well in the Super Bowl, that's your right, but just about everyone else who watched that games knows Mahomes couldn't have really done anything different. And I suspect some Bills fans who did not blame Mahomes for the Super Bowl are still finding a way to blame Allen for the offense's performance today.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Andy Reid is a generational play caller. Brian Daboll has historically been the OC of bad offenses. He found success for the first time in his career with Josh Allen as his QB. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

I didn't personally see anything in the Super Bowl that I blamed on Andy Reid. If Chiefs fans who watched that offense all year believe he was responsible for some of that poor showing, I would defer to them.

But nah I'm not holding Brian Daboll and Andy Reid to the same standards. And I shouldn't need to explain why.

I don't know how you can make a claim like "Colt McCoy today performed better than Mahomes did in the Super Bowl" when the context of their situation was so different. Colt McCoy didn't have no running game and a jailbreak pass rush in his face on just about every play.

This is my whole point. QB performance is context driven. I believe Allen today was in the same situation that Mahomes was in for the Super Bowl. If you want to dig into your opinion so hard that you're willing to argue Mahomes didn't play well in the Super Bowl, that's your right, but just about everyone else who watched that games knows Mahomes couldn't have really done anything different. And I suspect some Bills fans who did not blame Mahomes for the Super Bowl are still finding a way to blame Allen for the offense's performance today.

Wow, it’s almost like if the entire team plays like dog crap, the OC can’t really do much. 

This is a shocking development.

Point out all the folks talking about how great Mahomes was in the Super Bowl. 

Edited by FireChans

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Both interceptions were colossally dumb decisions where there was no need to press.  Both fumbles were on botched plays were better situational football and following the play design avoids disaster.

No one played well today.  But Allen was atrocious in the second half and they couldn’t overcome it.

When much of the rest of the offense head wasn't in the game........he eventually totally lost his composure.

He's been pretty good about keeping his sh*t together when things aren't going well the past season and a half but today was not one of those days.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.