Give Allen some credit for his play today

HappyDays

He was a problem.   He turned the ball over all day, but go ahead and defend him.  He played lights out.  Some beautiful interceptions and a nice fumble too, but those plays don't matter.  It's not his fault, he is the Franchise.  They scored 6 points against a shaky defense.  He has at least SOMETHING to do with that.

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I have seen Big Ben win MANY games in his career just like this one, where his line was garbage and the playcalling was odd and his receivers were uninterested.  He often overcomes (or used to) those conditions.

Josh was a huge part of the problem today.  I’m giving him no credit for sucking and neither should you.  Hell, he admitted in his post-game that he played like sh—.  Blind loyalty does no favors.

It doesn’t even mean Josh sucks. 

He just sucked today. That’s it. It’s okay for us to admit. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ever notice when the GOAT himself has a bad game, its always because he’s got defenders in his face all day taking shots. All of a sudden his passes inexplicably go awry and he misses open receivers. And PM in last year’s championship. Josh Allen wasn’t good today but I think I know why. Hero ball is the only fallback when he’s a one man show.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh Allen (the QB) agrees with my take but I’m sure he appreciates the soft landing here.

Not surprised. Did you expect him to blame Ford or Boettger for letting d-linemen in his face all day, or point out that Beane passed on Creed Humphrey and other interior o-lineman, then sat on his hands as the trade deadline passed? Think of what you would have said about him if he had said any of that. He's playing his role right, just like he did during the game. There's not a qb in history who would have done much better than him. I blame him for the hero interception, but that kind of play is part and parcel of his fierce competitiveness. Like the OP said, he fought his heart out when at least some of his teammates were taking the day off. And you're calling him trash. 

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I know you aren’t good at digesting things like reality and objective evidence.  There are no “Allen haters” on this forum that I’m aware of.  Allen had a decent first half and a four-turnover second half where he stacked bad decisions.  He makes a quarter billion dollars and was completely flummoxed by the worst pass defense in the NFL.  He was trash today.

I can digest things finely; no doubt he didn't play well down the stretch.  Collectively, one half of the team sucked, and Allen certainly contributed to that. I have no problem with criticism, and I am one of his biggest supporters, long before he was a Bill.  It's the over the top takes from those like you who apparently struggle to digest things.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I have seen Big Ben win MANY games in his career just like this one, where his line was garbage and the playcalling was odd and his receivers were uninterested.  He often overcomes (or used to) those conditions.

I very rarely see o-line performances this bad. It really was the Bucs/Chiefs Super Bowl all over again. It is frustrating because we needed exactly 1 TD to win this game. Maybe Allen could have overcome the o-line to get that 1 TD... I just can't blame him for slowly unraveling as the game went on. And even in the 2nd half he made some incredible throws. We just couldn't finish drives.

Part of the problem is we don't have any explosive players on offense. Diggs, who I love, is not explosive, he is an elite route runner and chain mover. All of our other receivers are weaker versions of that skill set. In a game like this finding just one big play for a TD would have been the difference. Since that isn't really possible we're asking Allen to move the ball 5-10 yards at a time with abysmal pass protection and no run game. It isn't realistic to expect him to win with that game script.

• Like (+1) 1

“I'm not sure any QB in the league would have done any better. Allen was the reason that we moved the ball. No circus catches. No explosive YAC plays. No big runs. Just Allen evading pressure and either running or throwing a rocket.”

wrong. Three turnovers to one single man; Josh Allen. 

if OUR Josh doesn’t stop his STUPID tossing the ball as he is tackled…OY.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

We have gotten like the Chiefs and become over reliant on Allen. The Oline problems have been hidden largely due to his play. Now we're stuck with a problem that isn't fixable in season ( as far as SB that is).

• Thank you (+1) 1

To further my point, the Cardinals without both Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins are currently pantsing the 49ers. They're piecing together a run game with James Conner and Eno Benjamin. Can you imagine what our offense would look like if Allen and Diggs missed a game?

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills just lost to a team that had won ONE GAME in the prior 23 before today. The loss wasn’t squarely on Allen, but as a quarter of a billion dollar man you’d hope for more out of your QB. He missed throws, missed reads, bailed from clean pockets, forced plays that weren’t there, etc. He needs to do better. The offensive line is trash, true, but every offensive play wasn’t a sieve. Opportunities are there and either he or his teammates (Gabe/Cole looking at you) aren’t taking advantage of them. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Allen fought his *** off today. He had zero help from his run game, as per usual. This doesn't need to be said but the pass protection was horrific. Allen had the **** kicked out of him all day; I'm pretty sure at one point in the 2nd half his arm was bleeding. Poor early down play calling gave us zero margin for error. There were WR drops at the worst possible times. Offensive penalties put us behind the sticks a bunch of times. I mean nothing went right.

Despite all of that he hung in there and scratched and clawed to singlehandedly drag the offense down the field. Unfortunately he wasn't able to manufacture just one TD but he was put in an impossible situation.

I already know people will bring up the two bad interceptions. Yep both of those were bad throws. They were also both on 3rd down when the Bills were out of field goal range either way. The interceptions did not change the game.

I don't know another QB that could have even made it through the game without a serious injury, let alone won it. The offense has a lot of work to do but the last person I am worried about is #17.

I think there is some merit to your post (especially regarding the unforgiveable drops), but it's pretty tough to give Allen much credit for putting 6 points on the board against the Jags, in perfect weather conditions.  How many points would Davis Webb have put up? At least 3, right? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

How many points would Davis Webb have put up? At least 3, right? 

No I am almost positive we would have been shut out. There were no gimme plays today. Most of the gimmes we tried like screens and running the ball were not successful. And several plays that Allen made to get us into FG range would not have been made by Webb. I mean you watch offenses like Dallas and Arizona start backup QBs and find ways to manufacture yards and TDs, but somehow the Bills can't manufacture one TD with their starting QB in the game. It is really alarming.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No I am almost positive we would have been shut out. There were no gimme plays today. Most of the gimmes we tried like screens and running the ball were not successful. And several plays that Allen made to get us into FG range would not have been made by Webb. I mean you watch offenses like Dallas and Arizona start backup QBs and find ways to manufacture yards and TDs, but somehow the Bills can't manufacture one TD with their starting QB in the game. It is really alarming.

I suspect there would have been a different, more conservative game plan and we probably would have been able to manufacture at least two or three FGs.  I'm not saying it would have been pretty, but....

Josh will take the blame because that’s who he is. Anyone who watched the game knows this was not all on him. Oline and RBs were terrible today and our WRs dropped some balls that could of been either big plays or extended drives…. Josh will carry all the blame though and when you look at the stat sheet his 3 turnovers will pop out at ya. That was a brutal performance by the whole group in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

To me, the most alarming thing was him missing Sanders on that last play.  Sanders was wide open for the 1st down, and Josh was rolling that way. It seemed like he looked right at him before forcing it in the other direction.

He's doing what he can given the line, and I haven't lost faith in him - but that was a head scratcher.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.