Was this the worst upset loss in team history?

BADOLBILZ

1992- The Dennis Byrd game vs Jets

Bills had beat the Jets something like 12 times in a row before it.  Dennis of the Jets was paralyzed the week before.  That Jet team was bad.

The Bills were something like 12 point favorites that day in OP...   Jets came away with the victory.  Inspired I think by Byrd 

Not even close. It was a bad loss for sure, but there have been much worse, like:

2014: Losing 26-24 to a 3-12 Raiders team in week 15. I'm not 100% sure this loss cost the Bills the playoffs, as they would have been 10-6 along with the Ravens (who did get in) but losing all but guaranteed that the Bills wouldn't make it. Bills were favored by 6.5

2004: Losing at home 29-24 with the playoffs on the line to a Steelers team resting most of its key players. The Bills were 9.5 point favorites.

1992: Losing 20-3 to a 1-4 Raiders team, again as 9.5 point favorites. This loss cost the Bills two home playoff games.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In terms of times when the Bills had a team with legit SB aspirations and were playing such a clearly inferior opponent............Jax is epically bad this season...........I'd say this one ranks up there with the mind boggling 10-5 loss to the woeful, creamsicle era Tampa Bay yuccaneers late in the 1988 season that cost the Bills home field and a likely SB berth.    That team was 11-2 coming into that game and the yuccs finished 5-11.

Definitely the worst one, IMO,  since the two inexcusable 1999 home losses by Flutie to the Raiders and Giants that ultimately lead to Buffalo playing on the road in Tennessee.   But those teams were at least mediocre 7-9/6-10 quality teams without those huge upsets in Buffalo.

That said.........still 9 games to play.........might mean they have to win on the road in the playoffs if they make it..........but still all in front of them like it was in those other two seasons.

Agree with everything, especially your last paragraph. At least this is a 1st half of the season game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

No, are you old enough to remember a Super Bowl, “wide right”? 

SB XXV is a good answer...........at the time it was a big surprise.............but the Giants did beat the 2x defending SB champs on the road to get to that game........and I think the perspective of that game has changed since the author of the gameplan that beat the Bills subsequently became BY FAR the most successful HC in SB era history.    

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Jags came into the game 1-7.    Hadn't won a game in Jacksonville since the beginning of 2020.   That's definitely worse than any of the other scenarios mentioned. 

I do think the Jags will win 5-6 games.........which would put them in the same category with the 5-11 1988 Buccaneers.........a game that stunned the Bills fan base.  

And close games to divisional opponents shouldn't be nearly as surprising as against epically bad teams you don't play regularly.    I remember that game in NE well though.........it brought back memories of that Tampa game but they had a lead in the race for home field then too.    

This year,  they are chasing despite regularly being cited as "the best" team in the AFC.     

I was at that game.  Bill were 11-2 coming in and the Bucs were bad.  We lost 10-5.  I was sick.

• Agree 1

You really can’t know for sure until you see how they and other teams respond. If Allen permanently loses trust in his protection and the playcalling, if Diggs checks out or starts griping, if McBeane circles the wagons on Cody Ford to prove a point, if other teams play deep shell zone because they trust their front four to manhandle the Bills’ line, then yes.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Disappointing?  Sure.

But 1966 Chiefs were 11-2..........the 1966 Bills were 9-4..........the Bills had home field advantage but it wasn't really an upset,  the Chiefs were better that particular season.

Could have been the Wilson trophy. Depends on how old we are to determine bad losses I guess. Still, Wilson is on the game balls lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrB1onde said:

Not even close. It was a bad loss for sure, but there have been much worse, like:

2014: Losing 26-24 to a 3-12 Raiders team in week 15. I'm not 100% sure this loss cost the Bills the playoffs, as they would have been 10-6 along with the Ravens (who did get in) but losing all but guaranteed that the Bills wouldn't make it. Bills were favored by 6.5

2004: Losing at home 29-24 with the playoffs on the line to a Steelers team resting most of its key players. The Bills were 9.5 point favorites.

1992: Losing 20-3 to a 1-4 Raiders team, again as 9.5 point favorites. This loss cost the Bills two home playoff games.

1.........You thought the 2014 team was a SB contender?  Bad loss.......but I don't know anyone who had delusions of that team reaching a SB.

2........huge disappointment........but the Steelers were 14-1 coming into that game.    One of the more dominant NFL regular season teams of the past 2 decades.

3.......that was another bad one..........VERY frustrating game that they just sleep walked thru.    Those 91-93 SB teams had too many clunkers and they got away with it because they were so clearly the best team in the AFC.   But that Bills team was a 2x defending AFC champ.........it felt like they were going to re-gather and get themselves home field at the time.    They did not.    But then they won in the playoffs anyway.    We will see how this one ages but this Jags team was literally terrible.    The Raiders were just off to a slow start.   They were a divisional round playoff team in 1991 and finished that season 6-5 to end up 7-9.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1.........You thought the 2014 team was a SB contender?  Bad loss.......but I don't know anyone who had delusions of that team reaching a SB.

I don't know if they were a SB contender, but I think we can agree that the surest way for a team to demonstrate it is not a SB contender is to not even make the playoffs 🤨

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I was at that game.  Bill were 11-2 coming in and the Bucs were bad.  We lost 10-5.  I was sick.

I think that one is still my worst.    

That defense was just so physically dominant........they had the feel of a team that could bully their way to a SB championship like the Bears and Giants had recently done.  

Sickening is definitely the word.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

18 points up,on the Giants. It wasn't enough...

Those two terrible Flutie home losses were maddening...........the NFL was WIDE OPEN that season.    1999 was a "steal a Lombardi" season.   People remember the Rams as some awesome team but they almost got beaten at home in the NFC Championship by a team QB'd by a guy named Shaun King.    Chances like that come around RARELY.   HR Throwback hurt but they earned the right to lose that game by being on the road.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.