Losing enthusiasm for football

The Red King

A regular season loss, doesn't sting nearly as bad as a playoff loss would. I went through the last 10 years of super bowl champions, and found at least one bad loss in alot of those seasons. I really will forget about the emotional aspect of the Jaguars loss, if we win the next couple of weeks. Hopefully on February 14th, we will look back on that game and just laugh, at how irrelevant it was. You only need to go undefeated in the playoff games.

Guys, the team has been a let down recently, and I’m normally mister glass half full, then there is everything else and honestly the negativity has caused me to take a pause from tbd.  Just a few days.  Let’s hope the jests game is a get right game.

im not thinking about the bills until Sunday.

4 hours ago, Albwan said:

Lot about the NFL is starting to bore me, the thing that bugs me the most is the thought that all these

games may be controlled by the main office in conjunction with odds makers. I'm not saying I flat out believe it,

but I am starting to feel very suspicious of odd and biased officiating and the glut of very weird

game outcomes.

When I was a kid I believed wrestling was real and was stunned to find out it was all phony. It isn't a stretch to think that 

at least on a small scale there's shenanigans going on with the NFL.

This is what is starting to worry me.  This isn't an "the NFL is against the Bills/small market teams" rant...it's more of a "there are some really, REALLY questionable calls that are happening in games that really change the outcome and it really can't all be chalked up to referee incompetence." belief.

Once the NFL started partnering with bookies, I got nervous.  Adding the legalized element of gambling, and having the NFL have a vested interest in its success just reeks afoul...

That call in the Bears game for "Taunting" stunk to high heaven.  Especially the way Corrente leaned into Cassius so as to have a reason to call it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Saint Doug said:

What about the “holding” penalty called on a DT during a running play? Seems fishy. 

That's what I'm talking about...there's now a series of calls that happen where the tv coverage doesn't even bother to replay the penalty. Like we just have to take the ref's word on the call.

Just don't be surprised that we find out some time in the future that there was some rigging going on.  It happened in the NBA, it sure can easily happen with part time referees who don't get paid very well to begin with in the NFL.

All three games I watched had some horrible, game-changing calls (the Bills "offside" that wasn't called on 4th down, the "roughing" the passer on Aaron Donald, and the "taunting" call in the Bears game).  I can't physically watch that many football games, but I'm sure there were other examples.

5 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

That's what I'm talking about...there's now a series of calls that happen where the tv coverage doesn't even bother to replay the penalty. Like we just have to take the ref's word on the call.

Just don't be surprised that we find out some time in the future that there was some rigging going on.  It happened in the NBA, it sure can easily happen with part time referees who don't get paid very well to begin with in the NFL.

All three games I watched had some horrible, game-changing calls (the Bills "offside" that wasn't called on 4th down, the "roughing" the passer on Aaron Donald, and the "taunting" call in the Bears game).  I can't physically watch that many football games, but I'm sure there were other examples.

To add to your list, the penalties called on 2 field goal misses. I guess it would’ve been too ambitious to call one on the 3rd FG miss. 

20 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

This isd partnering with bookies, I got nervous.  Adding the legalized element of gambling, and having the NFL have a vested interest in its success just reeks afoul...

That call in the Bears game for "Taunting" stunk to high heaven.  Especially the way Corrente leaned into Cassius so as to have a reason to call it.

The officiating was so bad in the Bears Steelers game that on Twitter even Steelers fans and media were universally saying the Bears were getting screwed by the calls.  That's when you know the officiating has reached a new low.  

Hang in there, Sir.  Look at the overall big picture instead of fluctuating up and down emotionally with each game.  I understand how difficult that is to do because longsuffering Bills fans want it BAD.  So bad.  You've been let down and disappointed by 4 straight Superbowl losses which further deflates your faith and belief but Jim Kelly was one thing.  He was great and he went to 4 straight.  In itself an accomplishment.  It's hard to win Superbowl games.  Even Tom Brady can tell you that going to one with a perfect season on the line.  But this Josh Allen kid out of nowhere is something special.  Jim Kelly would be the first to tell you he can't do the things Josh Allen can and Jim has been to 4 SBs.  If Jim Kelly accomplished this much with less talent what's the ceiling on Josh Allen?  I was a Leaf fan all my life and when they lost again in the first round to Montreal, I was in the same boat you are in questioning the value of my emotional investment and decided not to watch them anymore.  I still watch them out of boredom but I don't find myself caring anymore because they're a fraud of an organization who've never won anything.  But the Bills are starting to deliver.  Pregnancy is a painful physical journey with pangs and contractions and tears.  Nothing worth achieving ever is painless but finally when the birth finally happens there is joy throughout the house and much relief from pain for the woman who bore him.  I think the baby is about to stick it's head out.  Don't leave the delivery room just yet.  They're just a couple pieces away.  I'm going to lean on McDermott and give him the benefit of the doubt right now.  They're too good to give up on now...  

11 hours ago, Governor said:

My expectations at the beginning of the season were getting to the SB but getting slaughtered in that game. This team doesn’t feel finished to me and unless 2 or 3 of our young guys become superstars, it won’t get it done.

The Kyle Orton year was extremely exciting yet painful for me. I invested too much into that season.

Beating Green Bay at home and then losing the following week to the 3-13 Raiders still makes me curse Coach Marrone to this day.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, The Red King said:

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse. 

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is exactly the way it is for me.

I always say "the losses hurt much worse than the wins feel good".

When we win, it's like I EXPECTED it to happen. That's what's SUPPOSED to happen. Rather than being super happy, I basically just breathe a sigh of relief. I'll re-watch highlights throughout the week, read articles about the game, etc, but it's not as if I'm on cloud nine after regular season wins. I'm happy we won, sure, but it's just a brief feeling of relief, followed by a look ahead to next week.

When we lose, on the other hand, it hurts like hell. It often gives me a physically sick feeling in my stomach. If the loss is bad enough, it affects my mood on Monday and Tuesday.

I don't know why it is this way for me. Is it this way for everybody? Is it this way for the players? It brings to mind the many Hall of Fame level players over the years who I've heard say that they rarely think back on their moments of success, but often dwell for YEARS on their losses or biggest moments of failure. An interesting phenomenon, to be sure.

I get it.  I paid a ton for tickets to see Jax game and was so psyched and then to witness one of the most poorly played and officiated games I have ever seen was a true downer.  The drive home to NC sucked.

But we can't/won't give up on your team!  Cheer up, bucko!

On 11/7/2021 at 4:41 PM, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

That was really an impressive, heartfelt account of what a lot of fans go through with a team as they live and die with success and losses. My son is almost inconsolable after a game like Sunday's.  I tell him that when you're passionate about a team, this Rollercoaster of emotions is part of the experience that you sign up for. It's entertainment and you move on to the next game. Somehow, the pain seems more profound than the victory which fans of good teams expect. Hopefully there's  more good than bad, because for us, there's no turning back.

7 hours ago, wagon127 said:

A regular season loss, doesn't sting nearly as bad as a playoff loss would. I went through the last 10 years of super bowl champions, and found at least one bad loss in alot of those seasons. I really will forget about the emotional aspect of the Jaguars loss, if we win the next couple of weeks. Hopefully on February 14th, we will look back on that game and just laugh, at how irrelevant it was. You only need to go undefeated in the playoff games.

Thank you. Was thinking of doing that.  This happens to good teams every year.  I grew up as a Tom Landry era Cowboy fan and they would lose a game or 2 like this every year. And we made it to 5 SBs winning 2. Doesn't mean the season's over although it feels like it is.

I think fans feel this way cuz we're not used to being good yet.

Edited by reddogblitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.