11/7/21 Bills @ Jaguars Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

I am watching Josh's postgame interview. The two things that jump out to me:

- He takes responsibility, total responsibility. I actually don't believe he deserves it for yesterday's performance, but good for him - standing with his team.

- This guy is heartfelt. We never have to (not that we have) wonder how much he cares.

We've got a good leader. On to New York.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

K Gun had Thurman Thomas, just saying, he was better than any RB since OJ.  Always had to account for Thurman.  Current Bills don't have a Thurman.

1990:   Will Wolford - Jim Richter - Kent Hull - John Davis - House Ballard 

Yesterday:  Dawkins  - Boettger - Morse - Ford - Williams. 

There is no comparison between the two lines and the 90’s OL back ups were also much better.  Even with Feliciano back at LG, Spencer Brown at RT, and Williams at RG there is no comparison.  

1990 KGun RBs :  Thurman Thomas, Kenny Davis, with FB’s Jamie Mueller and Carnell Garner

Yesterdays RBs :  Singletary, Moss, Taiwan, Gilliam or Brieda 

running back talent is not close.  Neither is versatility such as ability to catch down field and the ability to block.  Kenny Davis was far better than any back on the current roster.  None of them could touch Thomas or even deserves to be in the conversation.  

1990 TEs: McKeller, Metzellars, Rolle. 

Yesterday TE:  Sweeney, Q Morris, K Warring, (Knox injured)

1990 TEs we’re all multi faceted.  McKelkars was a multiple threat player.  Metzellars could block like an OT and catch passes.    With Knox out the current TE cast has no real contributions from anyone.  

The 2021 Bills are Josh Allen, some very good receivers, an excellent defense, and a good PK. They have a very questionable OL with no depth, no running game outside of Allen, and a below average punter.  

Our team defense in 2021 is better, especially the DBs. 

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

1990:   Will Wolford - Jim Richter - Kent Hull - John Davis - House Ballard 

Yesterday:  Dawkins  - Boettger - Morse - Ford - Williams. 

There is no comparison between the two lines and the 90’s OL back ups were also much better.  Even with Feliciano back at LG, Spencer Brown at RT, and Williams at RG there is no comparison.  

1990 KGun RBs :  Thurman Thomas, Kenny Davis, with FB’s Jamie Mueller and Carnell Garner

Yesterdays RBs :  Singletary, Moss, Taiwan, Gilliam or Brieda 

running back talent is not close.  Neither is versatility such as ability to catch down field and the ability to block.  Kenny Davis was far better than any back on the current roster.  None of them could touch Thomas or even deserves to be in the conversation.  

1990 TEs: McKeller, Metzellars, Rolle. 

Yesterday TE:  Sweeney, Q Morris, K Warring, (Knox injured)

1990 TEs we’re all multi faceted.  McKelkars was a multiple threat player.  Metzellars could block like an OT and catch passes.    With Knox out the current TE cast has no real contributions from anyone.  

The 2021 Bills are Josh Allen, some very good receivers, an excellent defense, and a good PK. They have a very questionable OL with no depth, no running game outside of Allen, and a below average punter.  

Our team defense in 2021 is better, especially the DBs. 

DB's might be better, but not seeing a Bruce Smith on the 2021 Bills team, also Milano & Edmunds < Bennett and Talley.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

DB's might be better, but not seeing a Bruce Smith on the 2021 Bills team, also Milano & Edmunds < Bennett and Talley.

Yes.  The overall team defense is hard to argue with though.  It’s a shame that they hold a team to 9 points on the road, despite 3 offensive turnovers, and we can’t win the game.  

The OL is the cause of many problems, it starts up front.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

K Gun had Thurman Thomas, just saying, he was better than any RB since OJ.  Always had to account for Thurman.  Current Bills don't have a Thurman.

I would not disagree...but There were some games within that we could go back on, espc some games Thurman was hurt. 

We got great production from guys like Harmon, Davis, Holmes...etc..

K gun made studs out of guys like Pete Metzelaars. 

One game vs Miami where Thurman was out was one that stands out ... believe it was 94 we ran tons of counters w WRs to beg borrow and steal rushing yards. 

18 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Goodbye SB talk, MVP nonsense. There are no Dogs on this vanilla soft OL. RB's with no vision or ability to break tackles. We've officially run out of TE's until Knox returns. 4 wr drops today. Gabe's would've been a 1st. Josh played poorly but he can't be expected to cover these wars forever. Hey Brandon,  feel free to draft OL this spring. 

I agree, clearly our scouting group has to get better on the Offensive Line and Defensive Line. 

Despite all the investment on the defensive line, they don't get home often enough. The secondary is the strength of our unit. 

And the offensive line, Ford was a bust from the first Training Camp reports about the staff moving him back and forth from Guard to Tackle. It's not the injuries, he never was good. And Daryl Williams? Shredded his knee in Carolina and it looks like it now. 

In terms of the WRs, this is why when Beasley complains I just shrug my shoulders. You can't gameplan around a 32 year old slot guy who averages 10 yards per catch. 

When the Bills lost Knox, it looks like they have no physical mismatches anywhere on the field. 

1 hour ago, nucci said:

You have to run and throw quick slants and crossing patterns against a cover 2. We did none of that. How do you not  throw to Diggs until 4th qtr? No RPO with a bad line and slow RBs

No Isaiah McKenzie. 

Instead of dumping off to 4.7 Running Backs, can we use the guy who runs a 4.43?

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I largely agree with this with the exception that the O-line is way worse then we thought it was.  Its not NFL caliber.  This calls for a complete reworking of the O-line and offensive game plan to include, IF Brown can't go this week, the following:

*  Start the other rookie at RT and move Williams to guard. 

*  Activate Bridda at RB.  We need the speed.

*  Put #41 and #89 (assuming Knox can't go) in the backfield to provide max protection. 

i AGREE WITH THE NEED FOR SPEED

2 hours ago, nucci said:

You have to run and throw quick slants and crossing patterns against a cover 2. We did none of that. How do you not  throw to Diggs until 4th qtr? No RPO with a bad line and slow RBs

That is what I dont get about Daboll. Our OL gets pushed in the backfield consistently and we still call the RPO constantly or other slow developing passes and runs. Its not like its all blitzes, its literally the OL gets no push. Daboll needs to accept that and adjust. Quick slants, pick routes, etc. Instead he is running routes to the outside which your qb needs more time and 5 step drop backs. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We said this all offseason, but despite Singletary working out more, and Zack Moss healthy enough to run, there is no playmaking. 

Diggs disappears for too long in these games this season. 

He doesn't disappear. Allen stops throwing to him

1 hour ago, nucci said:

He doesn't disappear. Allen stops throwing to him

I don't understand it. 

It's like we can't hit him on a slant?

This happens all the time in this league, DK Metcalf going for 80-yards on the first play and then only getting one catch the rest of the game. 

I don't understand how an OC doesn't try to get the star WR the ball when half the quarter goes by and he still hasn't touched the ball. Or Allen for that matter. Change the play at the line and make it happen. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I am watching Josh's postgame interview. The two things that jump out to me:

- He takes responsibility, total responsibility. I actually don't believe he deserves it for yesterday's performance, but good for him - standing with his team.

- This guy is heartfelt. We never have to (not that we have) wonder how much he cares.

We've got a good leader. On to New York.

Thats what good leaders do.  He obviously had a some fault but even that fault stems from the o line.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't understand it. 

It's like we can't hit him on a slant?

This happens all the time in this league, DK Metcalf going for 80-yards on the first play and then only getting one catch the rest of the game. 

I don't understand how an OC doesn't try to get the star WR the ball when half the quarter goes by and he still hasn't touched the ball. Or Allen for that matter. Change the play at the line and make it happen. 

Im not sure they are in the playbook.  I wish I had all 22.  Anytime I see the breakdowns online of the few plays they choose... the routes are always the long developing downfield stuff.  Sometimes its not just downfield its just long developing out and ins or Diggs going all the way across the field in a big moon arc.  Like these plays are meant for 3-5 second holds but as of last week the pocket is done in 2.1.

Edited by Scott7975

On 11/7/2021 at 6:14 PM, Billsatlastin2018 said:

If you’re an excellent team, you simply cannot lose against those bums!

You should roll them.

And now, you’ve lost every advantage as ALL your critical AFC opponents won!

Beyond putrid!

I see your located in Toronto.  Leaf fans thought the Leafs were unstoppable last year.  Their fans would beat their chests about the team while trashing McDavid a lessor to Matthews.  The ending to the season underscored the arrogance of Leaf fans in looking down at everybody else in the league.  They got paid their just due.  The point being nobody is a bum in the NFL and like a hungry Habs team like they were, they wanted it more than the Leafs and than the Bills wanted it from the Jaguars.  Humble.

Edited by AbsoluteMeatHead
I have no life.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.