Per Schefter, Bills expressed some level of interest in signing Adrian Peterson

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

The Bills love old running backs- flies in the face of rational thinking...I just don’t get why it’s so hard for them to field a competent rushing attack...baffling actually...

I don't think it's baffling at all.  When they began working together, Beane and McD looked around the NFL and noted the obvious trend:  professional football is more and more about the pass, and less and less about the run.  Passing is the present and future of football.  

So McD hired an OC in Brian Daboll who had a deep understanding of modern passing concepts along with a basic understanding of the running game.   Meanwhile Beane starting acquiring an elite QB and WRs as well as offensive linemen who were better in pass pro than run protection.  And just for fun, he spent a couple of late second-day draft picks on RBs.

Yeah, it would be great if we could build our running attack to be as effective as our passing attack.  I know I would love to see that.  But a GM has only so many high draft picks and only so much cap money to spend.  So Beane focused on the passing attack.  

The net result is we have one of the most potent offenses in the NFL.  It's hard to say Beane was wrong.  

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I just don’t get why it’s so hard for them to field a competent rushing attack...baffling actually...

My take is that it is hard to find OL who excel at mauling for the rushing attack AND finesse for pass blocking. Then you have to get all five working together and scheme to their strengths and the strengths of your offense.   With Josh being as good as he is, they know it is better to have an OL that is better at pass blocking. 

That being said, we still have some weaknesses. I don't think Feliciano ever really got his full strength back after the pec injury. He was more of the mauler type to balance the guys like Morse and Dawkins who's strength was pass protection. So that left side doesn't have that push where Feliciano used to bowl people over to open up a rush lane. 

On the right side,  Ford just never developed like they hoped. The Covid bout didn't help. That's a strength and endurance zapper and we don't know if his lungs are 100%.  The Brown/Williams experiment is just beginning and they both had injuries.  

Also our WR and not the best blockers so CB's when they see run, can shed and pursue quicker to make sure an RB doesn't get past that second level. Neither of our RB's is quick enough to pop those runs. 

Daboll also likes to run into the teeth of a defense a lot. With the interior OL being our weakest point, this doesn't yield the results we desire. Supposedly we are a spread offense, so it would be nice if we could also develop ways to spread the run game. Which I think goes back to WR's who can't block well enough. 

Luckily, Josh is awesome and our pass game is good enough. I'd like to see improvements in play calling, the run game and the OL play so we can dictate what type of offense we want to run, especially in the playoffs when teams will scheme to stop our passing attack. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

My take is that it is hard to find OL who excel at mauling for the rushing attack AND finesse for pass blocking. Then you have to get all five working together and scheme to their strengths and the strengths of your offense.   With Josh being as good as he is, they know it is better to have an OL that is better at pass blocking. 

That being said, we still have some weaknesses. I don't think Feliciano ever really got his full strength back after the pec injury. He was more of the mauler type to balance the guys like Morse and Dawkins who's strength was pass protection. So that left side doesn't have that push where Feliciano used to bowl people over to open up a rush lane. 

On the right side,  Ford just never developed like they hoped. The Covid bout didn't help. That's a strength and endurance zapper and we don't know if his lungs are 100%.  The Brown/Williams experiment is just beginning and they both had injuries.  

Also our WR and not the best blockers so CB's when they see run, can shed and pursue quicker to make sure an RB doesn't get past that second level. Neither of our RB's is quick enough to pop those runs. 

Daboll also likes to run into the teeth of a defense a lot. With the interior OL being our weakest point, this doesn't yield the results we desire. Supposedly we are a spread offense, so it would be nice if we could also develop ways to spread the run game. Which I think goes back to WR's who can't block well enough. 

Luckily, Josh is awesome and our pass game is good enough. I'd like to see improvements in play calling, the run game and the OL play so we can dictate what type of offense we want to run, especially in the playoffs when teams will scheme to stop our passing attack. 

Good post. 

Clearly we need a better offensive line for this offense to reach its full potential.

But I also wonder about getting a run game coordinator.  Chan Gailey was really good at generating a run attack with a poor offensive line.  Likewise, Greg Roman is a run game genius.  Brian Daboll is not.  

Is there a coach out there who excels at the X's and O's of the run game who can help Daboll craft a better rushing attack?

We need better offensive linemen and a better run game scheme more than we need AP.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s about to enter the ring 

I think you might need a scientific calculator to quantify the number of times you'd have to punch Frank Gore in the head before he noticed.

I can see him looking like Joe Frazier in the ring.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think you might need a scientific calculator to quantify the number of times you'd have to punch Frank Gore in the head before he noticed.

I can see him looking like Joe Frazier in the ring.

Ya, no thank you on fighting Gore. You know that dude can take a punch. 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Peterson is a complete POS.  It's incomprehensible to me why low character guys like Josh Gordon, AP, etc. continue to get chances to play.  Disgusting if the Bills actually went after AP.

AP is definitely a dirtbag. How about this guy the media is covering for?

skysports-deshaun-watson-houston_5458394

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.