Draft Prospects

Milanos Milano

43 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Next year if you find a workhorse RB like Najee, you definitely draft him

Maybe if available in the 3rd or 4th round.  As a 1st round pick his 3.7 yards per carry is terrible.

It was a waste - he is on par with a 4th round pick like Chuba Hubbard and Michael Carter.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Maybe if available in the 3rd or 4th round.  As a 1st round pick his 3.7 yards per carry is terrible.

It was a waste - he is on par with a 4th round pick like Chuba Hubbard and Michael Carter.  

so by that logic Josh and Mahomes are on par with Brady- a 6th round pick.  I don't care if we used a top 10 pick on Derek Henry- the Bills could use a Derek Henry and I wouldn't get ticky tack that I overdrafted - the end justifies the means in this case

• Disagree 3

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1. Henry and Kamara weren't first round picks..........lot's of RB's are drafted so pointing out a couple out of a sea of disappointing selections isn't a strong argument.......it just further proves that you are better off finding them after round 1.

2. The assumption that the Bills are the only team that struggles to run the football is wrong......they are pretty average in that regard........but your boy Kamara has been sorry running the ball this season with 35-year-old-Frank-Gore-esque 3.6 yards per attempt average.   He's not as good as some fans who don't actually watch him play think he is.   Certainly not worth the $15M per he's getting paid.   

3. James Robinson from Jacksonville is a great example of good RB drafting.    He had an excellent 1,000 yard plus rookie season and is averaging 5.5 yards per rush this year.   6th round pick.    That's how you do it.    Of course,  Jacksonville idiotically selected Travis Etienne in round 1 this year so they more than negated anything they gained taking Robinson in 2020. :lol:

1- no ***** shirlock.  It's common knowledge when they were drafted.  My point it is obvious glaring need.  If we got a stud RB at 32- IMO thats wonderful

2- and some other kids can stay up late on a school night,  I don't give a ***** if Bengals can't run the ball.  My beloved team is the Bills- and once again its obvious we need much improvement at RB 1

3-Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, Dak Wilson are good examples of QB drafting.  Josh Rosen, Akili Smith, and JaMarcuss were drafted idiotically?

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think there is a reason he won the AFC Rookie of the Month for October.    He is controlling the game

• Like (+1) 1

I make a motion that we not talk draft until after the Super Bowl.  I understand there is a long history, muscle memory of a type, of looking longingly to the future in the midst of a disappointing season.

Those days are in the past.  Yesterday is gone, and these are the days of miracle and wonder.  I motion all draft talk be suspended as "bad mojo" until after the Super Bowl.

19 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Last draft we took a couple OT prospects and I think we focus on the interior o-line next draft. Bates and Boettger are free agents after the season and Morse will likely be a cap casualty. We need more dynamic athletes at guard in order to facilitate a running game.

I can see keeping both of those guys and letting Morse walk.  Fel. and Bates could play center, right away.

19 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills D is loaded with first round draft picks.  The O has one (Allen) and a lot of other guys who are determined to show the rest of the league they are better than they thought.  

It is time for the O to start getting top-notch talent.  Drafting WRs high is almost as big a crap shoot as drafting QBs.  Lots of WRs with athleticism, height, hands, etc still don't pan out for one reason or another.  Generally Beane has been able to fill out the WR room with really good players without investing first round picks on the position.  I think his focus will be on guard and center picks.  Once again the Bills will have a very high draft number so the eye candy picks won't be options.  

I agree.  In college, receivers can get along with sloppy routes or sheer speed, if the O-line and QB are superior.   In the pros, EVERY DB is like the opponent in college that they schemed around and didn't challenge.    In the pros, they need the smarts and the instinctive play to do complicated route trees and understand when the plan has changed because of a disgised coverage AND be on the same page with the QB. 

19 hours ago, Pete said:

usually this time of season I have draft projections well studied.  This draft will be fun.  I think we need guards and playmakers(WR and RB especially).  All would be great for Josh and Bills offense!

I think that veteran WR are a better fit for the Bills, as they understand a complicated passing game and on-the-fly adjustments.  With a rookie, they are a one horse pony for a couple of years until they learn.  There is too much chance of getting somebody who just never "gets" it.   Running backs can come from later rounds or NFA or practice squrds.

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Learn from the past Pete

Yep  I found him.  He is #19 on this list from 2020.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I think there is a reason he won the AFC Rookie of the Month for October.    He is controlling the game

Great he is doing things that UDFA running backs are doing on a veteran team.  Woo hoo.

He was a waste of a pick as pretty much all 1st round running backs are.  

He would have value by the third round, but where he was drafted - it does little to nothing for Pittsburgh now or going forward.

17 hours ago, Pete said:

What does that have to do with Walker?  Bills definitely could use a stud RB- I don’t think you could argue against that.  Picking at 32 is a 2nd round pick in essence- rules are different.  BPA could be RB at that point.  I think the Bills would do great if they could draft 1 of Walker, Breece Hall, Isaiah Spiller, or Kyren Williams.

The Bills could use speedy playmaking WR for sure.

And I hope they prioritize OL.

So I will be happy if we draft RB-WR-OL - whomever Beane has rated highest

Why do I get a sinking feeling in my stomach, when you mention that Isaih Spiller name..........?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

When your picking 32nd your looking at 2nd round talent ;)

I would say CB,Safety,TE,G,C or LB would be targets. 

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’d rather take the San Diego State P in RD1 than a RB. 

No RB in RD1. 

Thats funny I was talking to a Bills fan the other day and he thought we needed a big name RB or draft one high.

I said that wasn't a big need and that getting more good/great Clydesdales up front is what makes an offence work.

He reluctantly agreed.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

so by that logic Josh and Mahomes are on par with Brady- a 6th round pick.  I don't care if we used a top 10 pick on Derek Henry- the Bills could use a Derek Henry and I wouldn't get ticky tack that I overdrafted - the end justifies the means in this case

This has no logic.  Yes we could use a better RB, but where was Henry drafted?  

The top RBs have been drafted 2nd round and later.  The best 1st round rb - Ingram was traded at the trade deadline as they had other guys that could do just as well.

If you go through positions RB is one of the positions you find talent spread across the draft.  There is only 1 Tom Brady - most elite QBs are drafted early - not most early QBs are elite.

You can say positions like Guard and Center are also positions that you should rarely draft in the first - many elite players develop from lower draft rounds.

For the most part based upon future salary and the 5th year option - you really want to focus on QB, WR, DE, OLB (rush), EDGE, CB, and OT.  Then I look to LB, DT, TE, DBs, and inside OL.  The very last thing to draft is RB because their salary is low making the 5th year option a hindrance and very few RBs deserve a large 2nd contract.  They are draft and replace.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The Bucs got Fournette for nothing...the Jags on the other hand wasted a first rounder.

3rd rnd or later or someone's non fumbling cast off is good enough.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There are two guards above $14M/ year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Quenton Nelson get to that area but beyond him IMO it'll be a while before more than one or two get there.

I think the guard market is going to get bumped in the next two years. First by Scherff who’s a FA this year. Then Nelson and Elgton Jenkins who are both in line for new contracts. Jenkins is a but if an oddity though as he can also play tackle and center at a probowl level. The trend to mobile QBs will likely play a role in this as well as they’re more capable of big plays avoiding edge pressure than pressure up the middle. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

1- no ***** shirlock.  It's common knowledge when they were drafted.  My point it is obvious glaring need.  If we got a stud RB at 32- IMO thats wonderful

2- and some other kids can stay up late on a school night,  I don't give a ***** if Bengals can't run the ball.  My beloved team is the Bills- and once again its obvious we need much improvement at RB 1

3-Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, Dak Wilson are good examples of QB drafting.  Josh Rosen, Akili Smith, and JaMarcuss were drafted idiotically?

1. It's Sherlock,  thank you.   And you don't draft positions like RB and OG early "for need".     That's how they ended up with Cody Ford and the two RB's you don't like.

2. The Bills are 8th in the NFL in rushing.   Singletary is averaging over 5 yards per carry for the second season in his career.   

3. Just as you know where Derrick Henry and Alvin Kamara were drafted..........you know that there are A LOT more productive RB's found late in the draft and FA than there are productive starting QB's. :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1. It's Sherlock,  thank you.   And you don't draft positions like RB and OG early "for need".     That's how they ended up with Cody Ford and the two RB's you don't like.

2. The Bills are 8th in the NFL in rushing.   Singletary is averaging over 5 yards per carry for the second season in his career.   

3. Just as you know where Derrick Henry and Alvin Kamara were drafted..........you know that there are A LOT more productive RB's found late in the draft and FA than there are productive starting QB's. :lol:

Yeah, like Khalil Herbert who I wanted the Bills to grab late in the draft. I was heckled by many on here for suggesting this. I’m not a proponent for drafting a rd 1 RB, but in the 2nd definitely. I also wanted the Bills to move up in rd 2 and draft Jonathan Taylor before he was taken 10 picks ahead of us. There are some talented backs you can’t pass on. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.