Draft Prospects

Milanos Milano

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Learn from the past Pete

What does that have to do with Walker?  Bills definitely could use a stud RB- I don’t think you could argue against that.  Picking at 32 is a 2nd round pick in essence- rules are different.  BPA could be RB at that point.  I think the Bills would do great if they could draft 1 of Walker, Breece Hall, Isaiah Spiller, or Kyren Williams.

The Bills could use speedy playmaking WR for sure.

And I hope they prioritize OL.

So I will be happy if we draft RB-WR-OL - whomever Beane has rated highest

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

What does that have to do with Walker?  Bills definitely could use a stud RB- I don’t think you could argue against that.  Picking at 32 is a 2nd round pick in essence- rules are different.  BPA could be RB at that point.  I think the Bills would do great if they could draft 1 of Walker, Breece Hall, Isaiah Spiller, or Kyren Williams.

Picking "32 is a second round pick in essence" in the same way that "picking 33 is a first round pick in essence".

It's DEFINITELY not.

Picking 32 adds a 5th year option(which has to be fully guaranteed by the team after year 3 is completed). 

5th year options are very valuable for positions where that player could become a $20M-$40M per year player.........RB is not one of those positions.

First round picks should be spent on elite money positions..........QB/pass rush/LT/CB1/WR1.............the Bills project to need one of each of the last 4 positions over the next 5 years so there is never any reason to veer from that.   

You can find good interior OL and RB's later in the draft or let someone else shoot their draft wad on them and then steal them in UFA when they realize that those players don't change the course of their team and they have to spend THEIR money in UFA on more important positions.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't even go RB in round 2 but a RB in round 1 should be nothing less than a generational talent if you EVER take one in round 1.    It's safer just to never take one in round 1.    As I've said many times,   the Bills haven't passed on a RB in round 1 that went in round 1 and lived to regret it in basically forever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Outside of O line, I still think we are a speed receiver away from being dominant. I’d like to see us get a 4.3 speed guy. I wouldn’t mind seeing us draft Zay Flowers to help develop Allen’s deep ball chemistry. This would free up Diggs more during games. 

I see your desire but we do have Manuel Stevenson on IR ready for camp next season. Maybe we can find another around the fifth round for next season and have the two compete.

I see the Bills going DT in the first round then hitting offense with the next three picks. Maybe a WR but I think up to two OL with one coming in round two. Maybe we try to find another two-way TE in the third. While I like the idea of a dangerous speed guy I see the Bills still building the trenches next season. In addition to building the lines, Better competition for Levi Wallace could finally be targeted.

I want the Bills to build a real run game, a dangerous one. One where we can run on third and one and make it almost every time. A run game that would force safeties to move closer to the LOS. Then Allen could start throwing deep medium passes to Diggs again. I'm not certain how accurate JA's deep ball is? It is really hard to tell with all the other problems occurring on the field. Like pass blocking mostly...but pass blocking is a pretty complicated skill. It takes the whole team, including Allen, to be sharp and execute at a high level. The Miami game showed we have a myriad of pass blocking problems. Heavy zonedefenses have given us a lot of trouble as well.

Luckily, we have the Jags this week and the Jets next before a truly tough Colts team comes up on the schedule. I sure hope we get Knox and Brown back by then. I also hope we have grown as a team by the Colts game. Especially on offense.

Go Bills!

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m still shocked people think drafting a RB in the first round is a good move…. Unbelievable actually….

The emperor has no clothes.  I don't give a damn what round the Bills draft their Derek Henry or Kamara- but I certainly would spend a first on them, and consider it a bargain. And only a fool could argue that either would not improve Bills offense.  Rigid thinking "no good draft rb round 1" cuts down on odds of finding our elite RB

From The Athletic

2. What’s the deal with the Bills running game?

All of the pass-blocking efficiency is not to say that there aren’t problems with the running game and run blocking. There were problems, and they didn’t allow the Bills to be a multidimensional offense against the Dolphins. However, the issues go far deeper than the blocking in front of the running backs.

But Singletary and Moss deserve blame as well for poor vision and execution on some runs. On one play against Miami, Singletary clearly had the edge to his right side with blockers in front but wasn’t explosive or fast enough to exploit it. If it weren’t for one massive running lane against Miami’s middle-vacated defense for 13 yards — and a run that should have been bigger with a more explosive back — Singletary would have been closer to 2 yards per carry. Those things can’t be blamed solely on the offensive line.

In 2021, Singletary has the third-highest yards-before-contact average out of 47 players, and Moss is 19th.

It’s beginning to show, prominently, that the Bills lack a true dynamic runner who can do it all and need  Singletary or Moss to prove otherwise. When a defense is daring the Bills to run, and their backs lack the consistent vision, explosiveness or both to make them pay, it creates a huge dilemma for offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, really.

November just started and people want to talk Draft?

Remember when we’d be 2-5 instead of 5-2 and the draft was all we had to look forward to? Yeah, THAT was no fun! 

I can enjoy this season and also have some forward looking thoughts. I agree that WR will be a position of need, but I can’t spend too much mental energy on it now. There will be more time for that later on, for me. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

The emperor has no clothes.  I don't give a damn what round the Bills draft their Derek Henry or Kamara- but I certainly would spend a first on them, and consider it a bargain. And only a fool could argue that either would not improve Bills offense.  Rigid thinking "no good draft rb round 1" cuts down on odds of finding our elite RB

From The Athletic

2. What’s the deal with the Bills running game?

All of the pass-blocking efficiency is not to say that there aren’t problems with the running game and run blocking. There were problems, and they didn’t allow the Bills to be a multidimensional offense against the Dolphins. However, the issues go far deeper than the blocking in front of the running backs.

But Singletary and Moss deserve blame as well for poor vision and execution on some runs. On one play against Miami, Singletary clearly had the edge to his right side with blockers in front but wasn’t explosive or fast enough to exploit it. If it weren’t for one massive running lane against Miami’s middle-vacated defense for 13 yards — and a run that should have been bigger with a more explosive back — Singletary would have been closer to 2 yards per carry. Those things can’t be blamed solely on the offensive line.

In 2021, Singletary has the third-highest yards-before-contact average out of 47 players, and Moss is 19th.

It’s beginning to show, prominently, that the Bills lack a true dynamic runner who can do it all and need  Singletary or Moss to prove otherwise. When a defense is daring the Bills to run, and their backs lack the consistent vision, explosiveness or both to make them pay, it creates a huge dilemma for offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

1. Henry and Kamara weren't first round picks..........lot's of RB's are drafted so pointing out a couple out of a sea of disappointing selections isn't a strong argument.......it just further proves that you are better off finding them after round 1.

2. The assumption that the Bills are the only team that struggles to run the football is wrong......they are pretty average in that regard........but your boy Kamara has been sorry running the ball this season with 35-year-old-Frank-Gore-esque 3.6 yards per attempt average.   He's not as good as some fans who don't actually watch him play think he is.   Certainly not worth the $15M per he's getting paid.   

3. James Robinson from Jacksonville is a great example of good RB drafting.    He had an excellent 1,000 yard plus rookie season and is averaging 5.5 yards per rush this year.   6th round pick.    That's how you do it.    Of course,  Jacksonville idiotically selected Travis Etienne in round 1 this year so they more than negated anything they gained taking Robinson in 2020. :lol:

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

3. James Robinson from Jacksonville is a great example of good RB drafting.    He had an excellent 1,000 yard plus rookie season and is averaging 5.5 yards per rush this year.   6th round pick.    That's how you do it.    Of course,  Jacksonville idiotically selected Travis Etienne in round 1 this year so they more than negated anything they gained taking Robinson in 2020. :lol:

He was an UDFA actually. Although he wouldn't have been an unknown name to anyone who read my scouting report out of the 2020 East-West Shrine Game on this very forum 😏. I was advocating the Bills throwing a 6th or 7th at him. Would have been capital well spent. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was an UDFA actually. Although he wouldn't have been an unknown name to anyone who read my scouting report out of the 2020 East-West Shrine Game on this very forum 😏. I was advocating the Bills throwing a 6th or 7th at him. Would have been capital well spent. 

Yeah he was in the 6th round of basically all my mocks that winter so that's probably why I thought he got picked.   Once they took Moss that put that to bed.  

I think what people are really missing with RB's coming into the league is that the type of athletes that used to be able to endure the beating at the position until age 30 are really not playing RB anymore.    You are lucky to get  their best past age 26 now.

These RB's today are the guys that would have been backups or flashes in the pan (like a Barry Foster).   They produced when given a chance but came and went and couldn't withstand the punishment of the stud RB's of their time.    

What's more........even the really exceptional talents of today who should be able to start for 10 years......... like Zeke Elliott.......they know that they are only getting one bite at the apple so once they get paid I think they tend to lose their edge.

On one hand,  there are less really dynamic RB's...........on the other they are an even worse investment than ever for a number of reasons.    

12 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Outside of O line, I still think we are a speed receiver away from being dominant. I’d like to see us get a 4.3 speed guy. I wouldn’t mind seeing us draft Zay Flowers to help develop Allen’s deep ball chemistry. This would free up Diggs more during games. 

We have not used McKenzie this year at all.

This team will likely draft the best available CB2 in the 1st. After that you'll see a whole lot of OL.  We all know our OL needs upgrades. Our running game is anemic. We have 5 quality receivers.  A speed wr is not a priority considering we can't run play action without running action. Get upgrades for Wallace, Mongo and Ford. Worry about the next Marquise Goodwin later.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Picking "32 is a second round pick in essence" in the same way that "picking 33 is a first round pick in essence".

It's DEFINITELY not.

Picking 32 adds a 5th year option(which has to be fully guaranteed by the team after year 3 is completed). 

5th year options are very valuable for positions where that player could become a $20M-$40M per year player.........RB is not one of those positions.

First round picks should be spent on elite money positions..........QB/pass rush/LT/CB1/WR1.............the Bills project to need one of each of the last 4 positions over the next 5 years so there is never any reason to veer from that.   

You can find good interior OL and RB's later in the draft or let someone else shoot their draft wad on them and then steal them in UFA when they realize that those players don't change the course of their team and they have to spend THEIR money in UFA on more important positions.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't even go RB in round 2 but a RB in round 1 should be nothing less than a generational talent if you EVER take one in round 1.    It's safer just to never take one in round 1.    As I've said many times,   the Bills haven't passed on a RB in round 1 that went in round 1 and lived to regret it in basically forever.

I’d add guard to that list. The top guards are going to be pushing $20MM/y now. 

13 hours ago, Pete said:

RB in the first really is a bad idea in the modern NFL. I suppose if they think he's a top ten guy and he's fallen so far he sticks out like a sore thumb ... nope, if that happened I'd rather see them trade back and pick up some picks.

We're likely to be needing a guard, a DL, CBs, early S replacements as our safeties age, a WR to replace Beasley and Sanders ...

All of those positions make sense to pick later in the first round.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d add guard to that list. The top guards are going to be pushing $20MM/y now. 

There are two guards above $14M/ year. Wouldn't be surprised to see Quenton Nelson get to that area but beyond him IMO it'll be a while before more than one or two get there.

37 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

RB in the first really is a bad idea in the modern NFL. I suppose if they think he's a top ten guy and he's fallen so far he sticks out like a sore thumb ... nope, if that happened I'd rather see them trade back and pick up some picks.

We're likely to be needing a guard, a DL, CBs, early S replacements as our safeties age, a WR to replace Beasley and Sanders ...

All of those positions make sense to pick later in the first round.

Next year if you find a workhorse RB like Najee, you definitely draft him

• Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.