Draft Prospects

Milanos Milano

Up to me, it’s not, but I’d get a FA guard or two…Norwell for example, then get BPA these positions 

DT- no Butler and I’m releasing Star

CB-Wallace is a FA and White might not be ready week 1

IOL-obvious reasons

and

LB-if #49 doesn’t resign we need a back up plan.

RB-Singletary is the only one I’m keeping.

we need a back up plan if #49 decides to move on.  

4 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

Likely not.

Here's my consolation:  John Ridgeway from Arkansas.  Probably available in round 3 or 4, former wrestler, about 325.  He played solid in the Outback Bowl vs PSU.  Lunch pail guy.  Can't quite crunch the pocket like Davis, but really hard to move, even when doubled, and you can't run right at him.

Thanks. I'll add him to my list to review. 👍

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, I thought the same all season. Penning/Brown bookends would be awesome, but I’ll save that thought until after the combine. If Breece Hall runs a 4.4 or less , he’s my choice. I’ll draft a Nick Ford or Dohnovan West later to replace Morse and keep Dawkins outside. Josh and the Bills need a dynamic RB who can do it in the run and pass game. Hall is the closest thing to Jonathan Taylor in this draft with better receiving ability. The Bills need this playmaker 

I agree with most of your takes but I have to disagree here.

I love Hall (and Walker), but I’d much rather go OL in rd 1.  We don’t NEED a dynamic rb that can do it all in the run and pass game.  That’s a luxury on most SB winning teams. We NEED a good offensive line.  It just looks like there will be a few solid OL options available to us.  Options that would probably be a mistake to bypass imo. Building a beastly wall in front of 17 needs to be priority #1.  Using our first rd pick on a great LT prospect and moving Dawkins to LG could reap huge benefits.  I don’t think linderbaum will be there.  Josh is only as good as his offensive line allows him to be.  We lost to Jax.  💯 because of our OL.  Josh was bad too…..but sometimes that happens when the OL is a sieve. 

motor is under contract next year and is a much better rb than he was in the past imo.   If he had a great OL that opened more holes, he’d be just fine.  Solid in pass pro, decent receiver,  good power and make you miss.  His ypc is pretty good considering his OL.  

edit:  if we win the super bowl and have the last pick…..and all the OL worth taking are off the board, i might be ok with it. Just depends what DTs and WRs.  With his play the rest of the season, Motor has an opportunity to claim the starting job for next season.  He’s looked pretty good and I’ve long been a detractor.  This offseason just might not be the best time to draft one.   

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

motor is under contract next year and is a much better rb than he was in the past imo.   If he had a great OL that opened more holes, he’d be just fine.  Solid in pass pro, decent receiver,  good power and make you miss.  His ypc is pretty good considering his OL.  

Definitely player better this year, he has been a much more decisive decision maker. Holding onto the ball still my biggest concern going forward.

No more high draft resources on running backs.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So they say, but honestly if you are good you are good and can play at any height. Ike is 6’5 or 6’6 and does just fine. 

I guess, but 6'9" and then Brown at 6'8"? Allen might have to run around like Flutie trying to find the passing lane...🤣

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I love Hall (and Walker), but I’d much rather go OL in rd 1.  We don’t NEED a dynamic rb that can do it all in the run and pass game.  That’s a luxury on most SB winning teams. We NEED a good offensive line.  It just looks like there will be a few solid OL options available to us.  Options that would probably be a mistake to bypass imo. Building a beastly wall in front of 17 needs to be priority #1.  Using our first rd pick on a great LT prospect and moving Dawkins to LG could reap huge benefits.  I don’t think linderbaum will be there.  Josh is only as good as his offensive line allows him to be.  We lost to Jax.  💯 because of our OL.  Josh was bad too…..but sometimes that happens when the OL is a sieve. 

I got murdered in here for suggesting Dawkins to LG. I think he would play well there and we need help there. I would be all for drafting Penning and putting Dawkins inside. 

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I guess, but 6'9" and then Brown at 6'8"? Allen might have to run around like Flutie trying to find the passing lane...🤣

While I agree that normally putting a 6’8 or a 6’9 guy inside wouldn’t be a good idea, but Allen is tall at 6’5 and I feel like he could manage it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Is Jordan Davis a Vita Vea type talent?  Can he hold up and play at least 55% of the snaps?

Any opinions?  He looks like the dream compliment to Ed and exactly what our defense needs. Is he worth trading up for?  I would say no, he’s not worth a trade up, but he could be an offense wrecker. I’d be very cautious when drafting dudes that are THAT big.   Seems like most massive dudes like that have issues escaping the injury bug. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I got murdered in here for suggesting Dawkins to LG. I think he would play well there and we need help there. I would be all for drafting Penning and putting Dawkins inside. 

While I agree that normally putting a 6’8 or a 6’9 guy inside wouldn’t be a good idea, but Allen is tall at 6’5 and I feel like he could manage it. 

I don't have any issue moving Dawkins inside. My only issue is if we get a rookie center (a lot of people want to replace Morse) and a rookie LT, you'd be putting him in the middle of 2 rookies. Don't think that would be a good idea.

14 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yeah, it’s tough to discuss moving a team captain from a premier position to an less valuable position.  How would he deal with it mentally.  Some dudes are fragile and can’t cope.  It’s a demotion in a sense and can possibly have a negative effect in the locker room if he doesn’t cope well. He seems like an emotional gentleman.  Ya never know. 

but I’d roll the dice on Pennell.  Would be a nice pairing @ LT and RT protecting 17

Edited by NewEra

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

He may be rated the 10-12th best prospect. But Center is a devalued position in the draft. 

No Center has been drafted higher than 18 in the last 10 years... And 5 times in the last 10 drafts no Center has been taken in the 1st round... 

He very well could go before we pick... But he might slide bc of the devaluation of the position. 

Linderbaum got hurt late today in loss to KY.  That  - if he can't test at combine - and his size may cause him to slide.  I would love to see him as Morse's replacement

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Linderbaum got hurt late today in loss to KY.  That  - if he can't teats at combine and his size may cause him to slide - I would love to see him as Morse's replacement

He came back in for the final drive.  Tough kid.

Edited by TailgateChef
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Is Jordan Davis a Vita Vea type talent?  Can he hold up and play at least 55% of the snaps?

Any opinions?  He looks like the dream compliment to Ed and exactly what our defense needs. Is he worth trading up for?  I would say no, he’s not worth a trade up, but he could be an offense wrecker. I’d be very cautious when drafting dudes that are THAT big.   Seems like most massive dudes like that have issues escaping the injury bug. 

If you watch him play you see a big man who is very fluid. Mix in the fact he is extremely bright and well liked, I think he would be a perfect fit for McD’s type of player. If UGA wins the NC and Davis has a good game, I doubt he lasts pasts the top 12 picks. His numbers at the combine should also be outstanding. I’m not a big trade up guy unless you believe there is a difference maker available that puts you over the top. The Bills D needs a big run stuffer who can also apply pressure, Davis fits that. 
Smart approaches his dline similar to McD regarding a heavy rotation. I think Davis would fit in well regarding the rotations used in Buffalo. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

This team desperately needs to take an offensive player with the first round pick this year. It just seems right this year. We need young WR's, OL, and a RB(tho i'm not advocating first round). If we go first round defense it almost has to be a Cornerback. 

I would only like WR for an offensive player in the first, but think this is a deep draft for that position. Interior lineman can be found in mid rounds. 
I am not asking for a D player in the first, but won’t be the least surprised if it happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beane has always followed the philosophy of setting the team up in FA to be able to draft BPA. The other part of his philosophy that doesn't get talked about as much is that he has consistently tried to set the team up to draft for the future, rather than immediate need. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes a team can make in the draft is to get the guy who is the "most NFL ready," as opposed to the guy who might be a bit raw, but has the highest ceiling.

Mac & Cheese was seen by many as the more "NFL ready" QB in his draft. Allen, of course, was seen as a raw project with a high potential, as was Edmunds, Rousseau, Epenesa, Brown, and many others. This tack often leads to some disappointed fans on draft night, because these types of players don't usually get as much press, and often come from lesser known programs.

There is also Beane's (and McDermott's) "character first" approach. I'm quite sure that neither would call out a draft prospect as having a bad character, so its a difficult element to quantify. But, I suspect that there is a fair number of talented players that we fans would have loved to see drafted that were passed on because McD/Beane simply didn't' like their attitude. I'm good with that.

Personally, I love Beane's draft process, and I've given up being disappointed on draft night, especially when I find myself saying things like, "Greg who...?"

• Like (+1) 2

If Jordan Davis profiles as a more athletic Ted Washington, then go and get him! I’m against trading up in general, but that’s exactly what this defense needs in the front 7.
I wonder if Dallas would’ve taken Edmunds and pick 30 last year so that we could take Parsons, but that’s more Madden EA Sports talk than reality. Point is, do whatever you can to select the athletic freak who’s also a dynamic playmaking presence on the field. 

5 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Don’t take a RB in the first round. 

You take the RB, if Elite, and run him into the ground 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

edit:  if we win the super bowl and have the last pick…..and all the OL worth taking are off the board, i might be ok with it. Just depends what DTs and WRs.  With his play the rest of the season, Motor has an opportunity to claim the starting job for next season.  He’s looked pretty good and I’ve long been a detractor.  This offseason just might not be the best time to draft one.   

There’s a lot of depth at OL. Not many elite RBs. Give the the Utah Utes offensive line and I’ll be okay

Who else is watching the Utes offensive line destroy the Buckeyes defensive line

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.