Tyler Bass named AFC ST Player of the Month

YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Cheaters actually took their Nazi kicker almost a full round before the Bills took Bass.

And this coming draft, they should take a punter late.  Any suggestions?

Since you mention it...

There's this fella Matt Araiza down at San Diego State:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/29/22752437/matt-araiza-san-diego-state-punter-nfl-potential

"Punters don’t try to make highlights. They try to be consistent, perfecting their motion so it’s the same every time. But Araiza has a rocket launcher for a leg, so for him consistency is making highlights. He’s hit 14 punts of at least 60 yards, two shy of the NCAA record for the most in a full season—and the Aztecs still have at least five games to go. He has 28 punts of 50-plus yards; the NCAA record is 32, set in 1994. He’s averaging 54.0 yards per punt, which would smash the NCAA and NFL records—51.0 in college and 51.4 in the NFL, the latter set by Slingin’ Sammy Baugh in 1940. Even if we factor in returns and touchbacks, Araiza is on pace for history: SDSU’s net punting average is 46.7 yards per punt; since the NCAA started including touchbacks in net punting average, no team has been better than 45.0.

And remember, the Big Punt wasn’t even Araiza’s longest punt of the year. He also boomed an 86-yarder against San Jose State at sea level."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Since you mention it...

There's this fella Matt Araiza down at San Diego State:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/29/22752437/matt-araiza-san-diego-state-punter-nfl-potential

"Punters don’t try to make highlights. They try to be consistent, perfecting their motion so it’s the same every time. But Araiza has a rocket launcher for a leg, so for him consistency is making highlights. He’s hit 14 punts of at least 60 yards, two shy of the NCAA record for the most in a full season—and the Aztecs still have at least five games to go. He has 28 punts of 50-plus yards; the NCAA record is 32, set in 1994. He’s averaging 54.0 yards per punt, which would smash the NCAA and NFL records—51.0 in college and 51.4 in the NFL, the latter set by Slingin’ Sammy Baugh in 1940. Even if we factor in returns and touchbacks, Araiza is on pace for history: SDSU’s net punting average is 46.7 yards per punt; since the NCAA started including touchbacks in net punting average, no team has been better than 45.0.

And remember, the Big Punt wasn’t even Araiza’s longest punt of the year. He also boomed an 86-yarder against San Jose State at sea level."

I mean it's nice that he has a leg and all but how is his control? Dropping it inside the 20 is more important than having an above average NFL leg.

This thread is a perfect example of why 2BD is a great chat site I can agree or chortle at every single post  for real this thread is already Classic in muppys book.

Thrilled he is OUR Kicker and it's all about that bass bout that bass no treble.....

GO BILLS!~!~!~!~!!!

m

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lastly, let me just say: I am ALWAYS in favor of using 6th and 7th round picks on kickers and punters. The contributions you're going to get from a good kicker or punter (but especially kicker) over the course of their career likely FAR outweigh the contributions you're going to get from, say, a safety that only plays special teams.

Especially with Beane's habit of collecting extra late-round picks.  Take a punter or kicker in the 6th or 7th and the only expectation is to bring them in for legitimate camp competition.  We have started to see that with the depth in the organization late round picks are no longer locks to make the team, and the chances of a punter beating out the incumbent are far more likely than a 9th string wideout.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Dude is a baller.  Love the attitude he brings (strange to say about a kicker), but he's genuinely pumped when he makes a long FG to help the team.  Total team player.  

Mr Bass will be counting his blessings all the way to the bank dude will be set for life if he keeps playing at this level sooo happy for him!!! Dudez gonna get PAID!~!~!!!

**shuffles fingers****

m

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I still don't know why teams don't spend a late round pick on kickers.  Most of those picks are throwaways anyway and kickers are so important to a team.  I get that some take a few years to develop (Bass didn't), but still.

And it's apparent the Bills found, and fixed, the problem that caused his FG% to drop precipitously during his senior season.  Good on them.

To play the devil’s advocate, I do believe it seems rare for rookie kickers to have immediate success. I have no idea why, since there can’t be any sort of learning curve.

But I remember looking at this before, and a lot of rookies flame out, and they only latch on and have success after they have bounced around to a few teams. Guys like Bass and Butker seem to be more of the exception. 

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's nice that he has a leg and all but how is his control? Dropping it inside the 20 is more important than having an above average NFL leg.

Fair.

It seems lately that NFL teams are willing to gamble on a big leg, banking on the idea that they can -- to some degree -- teach hang time and accuracy, but they can't really teach leg strength.

The Bills made this gamble themselves with Bojorquez, whose kicking power is great but whose accuracy and control are so-so. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Jonathan Taylor was the AFC Offensive player of the Month....It should really have been Josh Allen...

Allen's stats during the 4-game stretch

Attempts :      145

Completed:      99

Completion %:  68.22%

Total Yards:  1165

TD:INT.   :  10/2 

Rushing TD:  2

Rushing Yards:  181 Yards. at  5.3 YPC

QB Rating:  115

Jonathan Taylor had a hell of a month, only gets about 20 touches per game and its not like anyone fears Wentz these days.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Jonathan Taylor was the AFC Offensive player of the Month....It should really have been Josh Allen...

Allen's stats during the 4-game stretch

Attempts :      145

Completed:      99

Completion %:  68.22%

Total Yards:  1165

TD:INT.   :  10/2 

Rushing TD:  2

Rushing Yards:  181 Yards. at  5.3 YPC

QB Rating:  115

Sorry - while Allen has been great - Taylor had games of 169 yards from srimmage and 2 TDs, 158 and 2 TDs, 110 and 1 TD plus a game of 122 with a TD

In his last 5 games he's had over 100 yards from scrimmage and at least 1 TD - no one has done that since Tomlinson did it in 2006 when he had 6 straight.

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

To play the devil’s advocate, I do believe it seems rare for rookie kickers to have immediate success. I have no idea why, since there can’t be any sort of learning curve.

But I remember looking at this before, and a lot of rookies flame out, and they only latch on and have success after they have bounced around to a few teams. Guys like Bass and Butker seem to be more of the exception. 

Yeah, thinking more about it, draft one you think will be good and then put him on the PS to develop.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Can we have a 20 page discussion about how rock solid Bass is?

We sure can!!  😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.