Bills-Dolphins 26-11 score was only the 3rd one in the history of the NFL

Big Turk

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess you are right, but it is possible for a team to score only 1 point, so the score could be 6-1.

Interestingly, there was a 1 point safety in a college game in 2004. Then another one in 2013 that just so happened to be called by the same broadcast announcer.

Edited by Tuco

18 hours ago, Tuco said:

No 2-point conversion until 1994. You would have to try really hard to get to 11 points without a 2-pointer. Then even if you did, 26 isn't exactly a common score either, especially with out a 2-pointer

Yes the AFL had the 2 pointer, but considering even with the 2-pointer 26-11 has only happened 3 times in over 7,000 NFL games since 1994, it's not that hard to believe it never happened in 600-700 total AFL games.

11 is the NFL's. prime number !!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Call me when we have 80-1.

I do find it interesting that there was a 0 to 0 score somewhere.

Anyone know who?

“The last 0-0 game was more than 70 years ago. It was played on 7 November 1943 between the Detroit Lions and New York Giants.”

Thanks, Google

There were 73 games with a 0-0 score between 1920 and that game in 1943. Of course it was a different game back then, LOL.

I find it interesting that 4 points was ever only scored once in the whole history of the league, when the Racine Legion defeated the Chicago Cardinals 10-4 in 1923.

Edited by Tuco
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tuco said:

There were 73 games with a 0-0 score between 1920 and that game in 1943. Of course it was a different game back then, LOL.

I find it interesting that 4 points was ever only scored once in the whole history of the league, when the Racine Legion defeated the Chicago Cardinals 10-4 in 1923.

Wasn't that when forward passes were illegal?

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:24 PM, Tuco said:

Interestingly, there was a 1 point safety in a college game in 2004. Then another one in 2013 that just so happened to be called by the same broadcast announcer.

Those were the somewhat oddly-named offensive 1-pt safety though, which still results in the offense scoring 7 points on a TD.  AFAIK the defensive 1-pt safety has never been scored in either college or the NFL because there's only one even remotely plausible way it could happen, although it's still in the rules.  And the defensive version is the only way to end a football game with 1 point.

14 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Those were the somewhat oddly-named offensive 1-pt safety though, which still results in the offense scoring 7 points on a TD.  AFAIK the defensive 1-pt safety has never been scored in either college or the NFL because there's only one even remotely plausible way it could happen, although it's still in the rules.  And the defensive version is the only way to end a football game with 1 point.

Yeah the only way it could really happen is if a team did it on purpose. And the only reason I can possibly think of to do that would be if the team was in the final game of the season and needed to win with a point differential of more than the 1 or 2 points would give them a playoff tiebreaker.

Say the only way the team could make the playoffs was to win by 4 points, and a touchdown puts them up by 1 point. Rather than go for 1 or 2 and win by 2 or 3 they could take the 1 point safety and give the other team 1 point. That would tie the game and send it to overtime, giving the team a chance to win by more than 4.

Of course this scenario would be extremely rare anyway since the point differential is so far down the tiebreaker list. The NFL adopted their current tie breaking procedures in 2002, adding SOV, SOS, offensive and defensive rankings all before getting to point differential - and I don't believe they've ever gotten further than SOV in that time. Before that I think there was an instance of point differential being used in the '70s.

So I guess it would take a coach looking to add an oddity to his or a player's resume. Like Bellycheat* letting Doug Flutie kick a drop kick for the first time since the '40s.

I do remember seeing a high school team use the above scenario with a regular safety to get his team to OT for that very reason, but I don't remember how they fared in the end.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.