Bills-Dolphins 26-11 score was only the 3rd one in the history of the NFL

Big Turk

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

So it never happened from 1920 until 2006?

Surprising, for sure, if true.  

No 2-point conversion until 1994. You would have to try really hard to get to 11 points without a 2-pointer. Then even if you did, 26 isn't exactly a common score either, especially with out a 2-pointer

Yes the AFL had the 2 pointer, but considering even with the 2-pointer 26-11 has only happened 3 times in over 7,000 NFL games since 1994, it's not that hard to believe it never happened in 600-700 total AFL games.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The most coveted scorigami left unfilled has to be 4-0.

How crazy would that be to win with 2 safeties only. 

4-4 would be even crazier.

Technically, you could have a 1-0 score if you somehow scored a conversion safety. It hasn't been done in the NFL since 1940, but it is possible for both the offense and the defense even today, I think.

EDIT: You can only score a conversion safety on an extra point try, so 1-0 is not possible. But 6-1 is possible.

Edited by MJS

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

4-4 would be even crazier.

Technically, you could have a 1-0 score if you somehow scored a conversion safety. It hasn't been done in the NFL since 1940, but it is possible for both the offense and the defense even today, I think.

How could you have a conversion safety without scoring first?

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Never saw this before.

And I learned that 6-0 final scores have happened 79 times in NFL history.  The first time was when All Tonawanda beat Rochester in 1920.  

All Tonawanda??? Does this imply there was a Partial Tonawanda team?

30 minutes ago, Tuco said:

No 2-point conversion until 1994. You would have to try really hard to get to 11 points without a 2-pointer. Then even if you did, 26 isn't exactly a common score either, especially with out a 2-pointer

Yes the AFL had the 2 pointer, but considering even with the 2-pointer 26-11 has only happened 3 times in over 7,000 NFL games since 1994, it's not that hard to believe it never happened in 600-700 total AFL games.

EDIT to my above-

I had some time and played with the scorigami thingy.

Prior to the 2-point conversion adopted by the NFL in 1994, 11 points was only scored a total of 11 times. Only 2 of those were the result of 2-pointers in the AFL, once each by Oakland and Buffalo - both in 1961.

The other instances of 11 points in all those years came from-

3 FG + safety -- 6 times

1 FG + 1 TD (missed XP) + safety -- 2 times

1 TD + XP + 2 safeties -- 1 time

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess you are right, but it is possible for a team to score only 1 point, so the score could be 6-1.

Well yeah.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.