Jets hire John Beck as FT assistant (Wilson’s personal QB coach)

YoloinOhio

Interesting move as I know it has been discussed in the past as to whether the Bills should hire Jordan Palmer. It could be good or bad as not sure where that puts his current QB coach in terms of coaching hierarchy. The original one was the one who tragically passed away in the preseason. 

Beck was on the sideline on Sunday in Jets gear. 

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Limits the time he can have with Wilson. Can't work with him in off-season now except OTAs. Keeping them off the teams payroll seems to be the better option as long as you have a halfway decent coaching staff. 

All the have to do is let Beck go at the end of the season, and he can spend as much time coaching him up as he wants. Not so complicated…, 

When Saleh heard Wilson went to work with his QB coach during the bye week I can understand why his first thought was “why not just bring John Beck here?” but I’m not sure I agree with his thinking. I could see if they replaced the QB coach on staff. But the way things stand I feel like this just creates a potential source of conflict.

What are the chances these 2 QB coaches don’t see eye to eye on everything? What type of power dynamic does this create? What if they have conflicting views on how they want Wilson doing certain things? Then who does Wilson listen to? Who does the team/Saleh listen to?

Robert Saleh said the plan as of now is for Beck to go back to his QB coaching business in the offseason but would Wilson be allowed to work with him?

I feel like the NFL and/or other teams could take issue with that as a way for the Jets to work around the CBA to get Wilson more time with team coaches.

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Hes still limited during the season and I feel the NFL wouldn't be too happy with them skirting the rules like that

if you’re not breaking the rules…,  otherwise it’s just another ill conceived jets sort of thing to do…., Billsey in their own Jetsey way…, 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

When Saleh heard Wilson went to work with his QB coach during the bye week I can understand why his first thought was “why not just bring John Beck here?” but I’m not sure I agree with his thinking. I could see if they replaced the QB coach on staff. But the way things stand I feel like this just creates a potential source of conflict.

What are the chances these 2 QB coaches don’t see eye to eye on everything? What type of power dynamic does this create? What if they have conflicting views on how they want Wilson doing certain things? Then who does Wilson listen to? Who does the team/Saleh listen to?

Robert Saleh said the plan as of now is for Beck to go back to his QB coaching business in the offseason but would Wilson be allowed to work with him?

I feel like the NFL and/or other teams could take issue with that as a way for the Jets to work around the CBA to get Wilson more time with team coaches.

These are good questions and I know next-to-nothing about the individuals involved.

But I do know that some NFL QB coaches are all about the mental part of the game.  They examine the previous game to see if the QB was executing each play right and throwing to the right man.  And they breakdown the next opponent, pointing out tendencies and opportunities.  

Personal QB coaches like Jordan Palmer are different.  They try to improve a QB's mechanics, power, and accuracy.  

The two types of QB coaches could conceivably get along.

• Like (+1) 2

This makes me wonder if Wilson was pushing for this and how the rest of the staff really feels about it. Meanwhile, you have Saleh saying "anything is possible" regarding White. It doesn't make sense for them to hire this guy full time. Couldn't Wilson just go work with him outside of practice or he could simply give Wilson things to work on during practice? It makes more sense that Wilson pushed for this vs the coaching staff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.