Raiders release Peterman

YoloinOhio

On 11/3/2021 at 1:20 AM, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, no, not right away. It's easy to forget how dysfunctional things were at the start of the McBeane regime. A quick reminder:

Pulling Tyrod to start Peterman (5 INTs!) even though the team was ostensibly in the playoff hunt at the time. Getting stuck with no veteran backup when Tyrod got hurt and having to start Peterman again (snow game, incredibly a 100 passer rating - maybe he needs snow to shine! - then coming up lame), then getting stuck with punt returner "package guy" Joe Webb as the emergency QB forced into action when we were ostensibly still in the playoff hunt.

And then the next year, not carrying any veteran QB after McCarron was nearly killed behind what was the worst offensive line unit I have ever seen. Starting Peterman again, again, this time by choice, not by necessity (0.00 passer rating, 5 for 18, 24 yards, 2 picks, 3 sacks). Rushing Josh into action - remember, it'll ruin him! Vontae Davis walking out of the locker room and straight into his car at halftime. Trading away bad contracts (a sensible plan) and then trading FOR Kelvin Benjamin (what?). Getting stuck with no veteran backup and having to play Peterman YET AGAIN (6 for 12, 61 yards, 2 INTs) when Allen got hurt. Then having to sign Derek Anderson off the street (disaster). Then having to sign Matt Barkley off the street (actually worked ... Jets). 

It was ... a dumpster fire. A train wreck. They were in over their heads. They had a mysterious "process" that somehow involved acquiring fat gimpy WRs and repeatedly playing the worst rated QB in NFL history.  And then suddenly it all worked out ...

Let's revisit things:

The Bills had lost 2 straight games that they were basically trounced when McDermott tried to shake things up with Peterman.  They were 5-4 and going in the wrong direction. The offense did virtually nothing vs the Jets & Saints.  The Jets game looked closer than it was because the Bills scored 2 meaningless TDs at the end including the 2nd after recovering an onside kick late in the 4th quarter.  Many Bills fans thought the move was needed (for the record I wasn't one of them, taking the be careful what you wish for approach & nicknaming Perterman "Nathan Marangi"),  Go back & look at the many pro Peterman posts the time McDermott announced the change before the LA game.  

McCarron recovered in time to play the preseason finale & actually led the team to a comeback victory, but he was disgruntled that he wasn't going to play & didn't want to be a backup, basically forcing his way off the roster.  Peterman had actually looked good that preseason, a lot better than McCarron pre & post injury.  I saw nothing wrong with putting in Josh ASAP .

The Bills traded for Benjamin in 2017, not 2018.  In the long run it was a mistake, no worse than missing on a 3rd rounder, but they may have lost the Indy game in 2017 without him & missed the playoffs.   

McCarron's bad play & bad attitude led to the Bills not having a veteran backup-he's the one who messed up their plan.  In the end, Josh gave a lot of credit to Anderson for teaching him how to be a better NFL QB in his rookie year.  

The Bills management was never over their heads.  They had a plan that included a roster purge & stuck to it.  Never a dumpster fire, never a train wreck.  Just a tear down & rebuild with 1 year of expected growing pains.  Nobody who was in over their heads puts a plan together while picking 21 & 22 in the 1st round & getting up to 7 without trading both picks and ends up with the best QB of the draft & sets their franchise up for the next decade or longer.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Let's revisit things:

The Bills had lost 2 straight games that they were basically trounced when McDermott tried to shake things up with Peterman.  They were 5-4 and going in the wrong direction. The offense did virtually nothing vs the Jets & Saints.  The Jets game looked closer than it was because the Bills scored 2 meaningless TDs at the end including the 2nd after recovering an onside kick late in the 4th quarter.  Many Bills fans thought the move was needed (for the record I wasn't one of them, taking the be careful what you wish for approach & nicknaming Perterman "Nathan Marangi"),  Go back & look at the many pro Peterman posts the time McDermott announced the change before the LA game.  

McCarron recovered in time to play the preseason finale & actually led the team to a comeback victory, but he was disgruntled that he wasn't going to play & didn't want to be a backup, basically forcing his way off the roster.  Peterman had actually looked good that preseason, a lot better than McCarron pre & post injury.  I saw nothing wrong with putting in Josh ASAP .

The Bills traded for Benjamin in 2017, not 2018.  In the long run it was a mistake, no worse than missing on a 3rd rounder, but they may have lost the Indy game in 2017 without him & missed the playoffs.   

McCarron's bad play & bad attitude led to the Bills not having a veteran backup-he's the one who messed up their plan.  In the end, Josh gave a lot of credit to Anderson for teaching him how to be a better NFL QB in his rookie year.  

The Bills management was never over their heads.  They had a plan that included a roster purge & stuck to it.  Never a dumpster fire, never a train wreck.  Just a tear down & rebuild with 1 year of expected growing pains.  Nobody who was in over their heads puts a plan together while picking 21 & 22 in the 1st round & getting up to 7 without trading both picks and ends up with the best QB of the draft & sets their franchise up for the next decade or longer.  

Fair enough. 

I think maybe you misunderstood the focus of my comment. It was more intended to point out how perceptions change. The Bills of 2018 were generally regarded as a team that was doing a rebuild all wrong. They wouldn't even call it a rebuild; it was a "process." They didn't follow what was becoming the model: tear it down completely, bottom out, go 2-14 or something, get the first pick (and tons of other picks), then wait 3 years for all that new talent to gel. The Houston Astros, the Cleveland Browns, etc. But it worked. I'm just surprised at how quickly Bills fans are ready to ridicule, say, the Jags (we'll see that a lot this weekend) when the rest of the NFL thought the same of us after Week 1 just 3 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Fair enough. 

I think maybe you misunderstood the focus of my comment. It was more intended to point out how perceptions change. The Bills of 2018 were generally regarded as a team that was doing a rebuild all wrong. They wouldn't even call it a rebuild; it was a "process." They didn't follow what was becoming the model: tear it down completely, bottom out, go 2-14 or something, get the first pick (and tons of other picks), then wait 3 years for all that new talent to gel. The Houston Astros, the Cleveland Browns, etc. But it worked. I'm just surprised at how quickly Bills fans are ready to ridicule, say, the Jags (we'll see that a lot this weekend) when the rest of the NFL thought the same of us after Week 1 just 3 years ago.

I don't think that many of us did ridicule the Bills after opening day 2018.  Yes, on a message board the negative commentators are louder than the general fan base & love to complain, but most fans realized 2018 was a tear down year and the main focus was to develop our new QB, regardless of the record.  I'm pretty sure that with the exception of those in the media who were against the Allen pick, there was a wait & see attitude.  Except for the most extreme fans & critics, there was never the perception of incompetence about Beane and/or McDermott.  

I think most of us thought 2018 would be a horrible season going in & the opening day trouncing & Peterman's performance confirmed our original opinion.  But I don't think we were ready to go on another coach/GM search in September 2018.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't think that many of us did ridicule the Bills after opening day 2018.  Yes, on a message board the negative commentators are louder than the general fan base & love to complain, but most fans realized 2018 was a tear down year and the main focus was to develop our new QB, regardless of the record.  I'm pretty sure that with the exception of those in the media who were against the Allen pick, there was a wait & see attitude.  Except for the most extreme fans & critics, there was never the perception of incompetence about Beane and/or McDermott.  

I think most of us thought 2018 would be a horrible season going in & the opening day trouncing & Peterman's performance confirmed our original opinion.  But I don't think we were ready to go on another coach/GM search in September 2018.  

Agreed; the biggest clue to the plan was that the Bills decided to take their dead money cap hits medicine all in one gulp—something like 50-60 mill IIRC; which of course necessarily limited our roster that season but in hindsight was the right call in rebuilding as quickly as possible from the Whaley/Ryan duds…

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This matches my recollection of 2018 too.  Everybody was happy that the drought was over, but that 2017 team had no upside and no sustainable future and everybody knew it.  So we did a tear-down that really wasn't all that bad -- the 2018 Bills had their share of fun moments during an otherwise forgettable season -- and it was pretty clear that the FO had a plan and knew what they were doing.

All of this looks great in hindsight because we picked the right QB (and got a little lucky that six other teams passed) and generally made good moves during the rebuild.  But there was not a lot of angst about the state of the roster in 2018.  99% of us knew that that season was all about setting the table for Allen and hoping that he would develop into a franchise QB.   

• Agree 2

On 11/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, ngbills said:

If Allen was a turd then I doubt McD would have lasted

It is a pure hypothetical but I believe they'd have still found a way to win 8, 9, 10 games. They won 9 with Tyrod and 10 with 2nd year Josh Allen who while taking a big step from year 1 was probably still a bottom half of the league Quarterback at that stage. I belive in McDermott's coaching. They are a Superbowl contender because they have Josh Allen, no doubt, but I think they could have cobbled together another winning season even within a scenario where Josh didn't pan out. If however, they'd gone 6-10, 8-8, 6-10 in 18, 19 and 20... then sure they would at the very least be on a very warm seat. 

But McDermott and Beane have to get credit for taking the plunge on Josh and then developing him too. Quarterback always trumps all else but a good coach is a good coach whatever his Quarterback position, as evidenced by Tomlin yet again having the Steelers above .500 with a relic at QB and Payton having the Saints at 5-2 with the famous one and then a backup. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.