Raiders release Peterman

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, skibum said:

Hats off to the guy. He held down an NFL roster spot for FOUR YEARS despite his only real playing time being historically bad. He probably made more money than I ever will in my entire, long, brutal career. I love guys like Peterman. 

Well said. It really is amazing - historically awful when he played, but that somehow, paradoxically, seemed like a selling point for him. And I kind of hope he gets picked up by another NFL team. Don't let the dream die!

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Please let this be he last one of these I do...

Five picks in one half

Might make some folks laugh

But for Bills fans, it made us irate.

He was weak in the spleen

And not to be mean

But let this be the end of Late Nate

Peterman

burma-shave-1-stephen-stookey.thumb.jpg.e6de2a0d496b64c0640ce23b2900fd17.jpg.b271908dc50a3d5c7b80ff6d783a373c.jpg.855f5c099aca23b4859891311d99452b.jpg.f9f5aa4d591a3cdc78ad9542e26dac34.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.252ce1dd984ce45911e70da60d5f7d50.jpeg

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe they want to release him so they can sign him to PS.

DBs still need practice catching interceptions.

His OC insisted the reason why his offense was not playing well was QB and with Peterson it would be better.

Coach McD gave his OC what he wanted and then when it did not work out OC was let go.

It actually IMPROVED Coach McD's rep - he listens to coaches who work for him and is willing to cut them when they no longer can perform.

Well, no, not right away. It's easy to forget how dysfunctional things were at the start of the McBeane regime. A quick reminder:

Pulling Tyrod to start Peterman (5 INTs!) even though the team was ostensibly in the playoff hunt at the time. Getting stuck with no veteran backup when Tyrod got hurt and having to start Peterman again (snow game, incredibly a 100 passer rating - maybe he needs snow to shine! - then coming up lame), then getting stuck with punt returner "package guy" Joe Webb as the emergency QB forced into action when we were ostensibly still in the playoff hunt.

And then the next year, not carrying any veteran QB after McCarron was nearly killed behind what was the worst offensive line unit I have ever seen. Starting Peterman again, again, this time by choice, not by necessity (0.00 passer rating, 5 for 18, 24 yards, 2 picks, 3 sacks). Rushing Josh into action - remember, it'll ruin him! Vontae Davis walking out of the locker room and straight into his car at halftime. Trading away bad contracts (a sensible plan) and then trading FOR Kelvin Benjamin (what?). Getting stuck with no veteran backup and having to play Peterman YET AGAIN (6 for 12, 61 yards, 2 INTs) when Allen got hurt. Then having to sign Derek Anderson off the street (disaster). Then having to sign Matt Barkley off the street (actually worked ... Jets). 

It was ... a dumpster fire. A train wreck. They were in over their heads. They had a mysterious "process" that somehow involved acquiring fat gimpy WRs and repeatedly playing the worst rated QB in NFL history.  And then suddenly it all worked out ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well said. It really is amazing - historically awful when he played, but that somehow, paradoxically, seemed like a selling point for him. And I kind of hope he gets picked up by another NFL team. Don't let the dream die!

Historically awful.  Perhaps that was Gruden's motivation?  To show everyone he was the ultimate coach of this era.  Better than Reid or Belichik.  Better than anyone.  A guy that could take a historically bad NFL QB and coach him up to an average level of performance.  He's an innovator trying something nobody else dared to try.   

Lol.  How easily people forget McD started this guy more than once

14 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Easy target. certainly crapped the bed here , but feel bad for the guy.. that Charger game was surreal . 

I flew down for my birthday for that game. Left at halftime and threw my Bills hat in the trash. Did see Hamilton the night before though. Eugene Levy and Martin Short were in the audience too

Worst QB in NFL history has a job for four years and Colin Kaepernick couldn’t find a job during the same time.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, no, not right away. It's easy to forget how dysfunctional things were at the start of the McBeane regime. A quick reminder:

Pulling Tyrod to start Peterman (5 INTs!) even though the team was ostensibly in the playoff hunt at the time. Getting stuck with no veteran backup when Tyrod got hurt and having to start Peterman again (snow game, incredibly a 100 passer rating - maybe he needs snow to shine! - then coming up lame), then getting stuck with punt returner "package guy" Joe Webb as the emergency QB forced into action when we were ostensibly still in the playoff hunt.

And then the next year, not carrying any veteran QB after McCarron was nearly killed behind what was the worst offensive line unit I have ever seen. Starting Peterman again, again, this time by choice, not by necessity (0.00 passer rating, 5 for 18, 24 yards, 2 picks, 3 sacks). Rushing Josh into action - remember, it'll ruin him! Vontae Davis walking out of the locker room and straight into his car at halftime. Trading away bad contracts (a sensible plan) and then trading FOR Kelvin Benjamin (what?). Getting stuck with no veteran backup and having to play Peterman YET AGAIN (6 for 12, 61 yards, 2 INTs) when Allen got hurt. Then having to sign Derek Anderson off the street (disaster). Then having to sign Matt Barkley off the street (actually worked ... Jets). 

It was ... a dumpster fire. A train wreck. They were in over their heads. They had a mysterious "process" that somehow involved acquiring fat gimpy WRs and repeatedly playing the worst rated QB in NFL history.  And then suddenly it all worked out ...

Beane assembled that non-competitive offensive line 

Allen saved both their careers and will likely get Daboll a HC job

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Wow, that all sounds vaguely familiar.  Luckily, during the drought I developed the "short memory" thing as a coping mechanism  

• Haha (+1) 1

I was having a conversation yesterday with my 12 year old Giants fan son and my 9 year old Bills fan son……we were getting on Daniel Jones and my oldest son says “At least he’s not as bad as Nathan Peterman”……my youngest son replies “who the heck is Nathan Peterman”? I reply “Google him son” ……..proceeds to google Nathan Peterman and responds with “Nathan Peterman throws 5int in the 1st half of his first start…..dad how come he looks like a punter? Lmao 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They identified guys that would buy in to the idea of team first it just wasn't easy to see right away.

I was sick to my stomach when they traded Darby and Watkins in 1 day.  I was in a 3 hour work meeting.  We took a short break and my phone had so many text messages.  I couldn't believe we were mailing it in before the season even started in year 1 of a new coach.  Then they played well and were actually in the playoff hunt.  I hated benching Tyrod for Peterman (post history is there).  It was easy to see that Peterman didn't have an NFL arm.  Then they made the playoffs.

Next year they actually rolled him out as the starter week 1 and I was again bummed bc I knew he couldn't lead us anywhere.  Then the hurdle, the 75 yard bomb to Foster against Jax, and it all went away.  From then on I knew Josh would work out.

That was why all of a sudden it worked out imo, they solved the qb issue.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, section122 said:

They identified guys that would buy in to the idea of team first it just wasn't easy to see right away.

I was sick to my stomach when they traded Darby and Watkins in 1 day.  I was in a 3 hour work meeting.  We took a short break and my phone had so many text messages.  I couldn't believe we were mailing it in before the season even started in year 1 of a new coach.  Then they played well and were actually in the playoff hunt.  I hated benching Tyrod for Peterman (post history is there).  It was easy to see that Peterman didn't have an NFL arm.  Then they made the playoffs.

Next year they actually rolled him out as the starter week 1 and I was again bummed bc I knew he couldn't lead us anywhere.  Then the hurdle, the 75 yard bomb to Foster against Jax, and it all went away.  From then on I knew Josh would work out.

That was why all of a sudden it worked out imo, they solved the qb issue.  

If Allen was a turd then I doubt McD would have lasted

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is all true.

The Nathan Peterman / Kelvin Chicken Biscuit Benjamin / Vontae Davis days were only a few years ago. These were some epically bad choices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.